SaltCritters.com

My RBTA is turning out to be a honey badger

jumplittlechloe

jumplittlechloe

Seriously, this thing does not care where it goes or what it does. It just walks all around the tank at night and is currently hanging upside down on the back of my montipora cap. Do these things stay put when they find a spot they like or are they prone to wander? I have had it now for a week and it is still on the move. I do not see anything showing harm to its movement. Do I only worry once it has taken root or do they sting when walking?

post-40793-1344737731_thumb.jpg

Seriously, this thing does not care where it goes or what it does. It just walks all around the tank at night and is currently hanging upside down on the back of my montipora cap. Do these things stay put when they find a spot they like or are they prone to wander? I have had it now for a week and it is still on the move. I do not see anything showing harm to its movement. Do I only worry once it has taken root or do they sting when walking?

I think they wander until they find a spot they like. If it stops somewhere good, feed it and it might stay there!

jumplittlechloe

I tried that trick, however it still moved. Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with my vortechs going into night mood and the flow of water slowing in the tank.

I don't think it's your vortechs going into night mode.(though it could be) My vortech go into night mode also but my RBTA has not move since I put it in my tank. I would say try to get it to a medium-low flow area and see.

I think they like to live in a crevice of some sort, where they can open up to the light, or retreat as they please. A crevice is also good to protect from the changing flow of the vortechs. That said... now you just have to reason with the anemone.

jumplittlechloe

True, I guess there is only one way to test that theory. I just use night mode it to give the fish a break and let the corals feed (I don't know if they like it I have never asked them). I might try shutting it off after I test this crevice theory.

I would have to say the oceans do go I to night mode. At night it's cooler so the wind slows and creates less chop and waves. Mid-day when the earth heats up winds blow faster and stirs up the water. Tides which help create surges and tidal flows on reefs follow the moon and earths rotation. just my .02.

Yea, to an extent, but the mp10's power goes down quite a bit. There are still storms at night. And still waves. And the tide still goes in and out whether it's day or night. OP, bta's like to place their foot under a ledge and entend the polyp out from under the ledge. Atleast mine does. Try creating a hole between 2 rocks with one rock on top pf the other if the crevice doesn't work.

I would have to say the oceans do go I to night mode. At night it's cooler so the wind slows and creates less chop and waves. Mid-day when the earth heats up winds blow faster and stirs up the water. Tides which help create surges and tidal flows on reefs follow the moon and earths rotation. just my .02.

Singlefin has it exactly right. Diurnal heating (and more importantly) the switch from daytime to nighttime and vice versa (changes in temperature) create winds. Of course, storm systems can create winds as well. So the oceans do go into a nightmode. Go in your backyard and unless there's a storm system nearby (and I'm talking on a large scale - a low pressure system 100s of miles away will create winds at your location) you'll see it get windy at dusk (potentially windier than it was during the day) and then the winds settle down once it's dark (stabilized).

+1 to running Vortech in nightmode. +2 to running Vortech in nightmode in conjunction with a radion and simulating thunderstorms!!! ;)

jumplittlechloe
Yea, to an extent, but the mp10's power goes down quite a bit. There are still storms at night. And still waves. And the tide still goes in and out whether it's day or night. OP, bta's like to place their foot under a ledge and entend the polyp out from under the ledge. Atleast mine does. Try creating a hole between 2 rocks with one rock on top pf the other if the crevice doesn't work.

Well I tried the crevice idea and thought it would work, guess I spoke too soon as RBTA is on the move as I type. I also tried the rock on rock hole thing and that was a bust as well. Guess it's time for a night lap around my tank to find a new hangout. Man, this is like Christmas every night but in a very, very bad way. At least nothing is showing damage from the movement, yet...

jumplittlechloe

This should give you an idea of my tank and layout. It is a 65 gallon tank. It was hanging in the bottom left hand corner wedged in the rock work.

post-40793-1344912392_thumb.jpg

Mine is on an island as well. Just in case it decides to move, then it only roams the island. It will let go if it can't find a happy place. I came home from work one morning and found it wrapped up in a low flow powerhead. It lost a few tentacles, but recovered quickly.

Archived