Pod Your Reef

Primeval's Red Sea MAX 250

Primeval

I am transferring what is left from my Eclipse 12 (see sig) post-tank-crash into a brand new Red Sea MAX 250. Of course, setup pics and write-ups will follow.

I thought about going with the full white setup but decided that was a bit too 80s for me.

I have no idea what I will be keeping in this tank just yet. Ideas and suggestions will be heard =)

A spot on the wall has been selected and I've even moved furniture around considerably to accommodate the new aquarium. It will be coming home today.

DAY ONE

Wall space:

0818121055.jpg

Aquarium and stand packaging:

0818121311.jpg

Built stand:

0818121605.jpg

Aquarium unpacked and in place

0818121617.jpg

Hood attached and back chambers loaded

0818121735.jpg

Lights

0818121740.jpg

Adding water

0819121736.jpg

DAY FOUR

The aquarium is full of water and I got a decent size piece of base rock today. I will be seeding the base rock with live rock from my disassembling Eclipse 12. I will also be using some of the same water. I am not sure if I will transfer the live sand over or not.

DAY FIVE

The tank is clearing up. I wanted to start moving over items from the Eclipse 12 today but I still need more LS to cover the bottom. I hate to move things over and then cloud the water again. I suppose I can wait a few more days. Pics to come.

NanoNewb2011
DAY FIVE

The tank is clearing up. I wanted to start moving over items from the Eclipse 12 today but I still need more LS to cover the bottom. I hate to move things over and then cloud the water again. I suppose I can wait a few more days. Pics to come.

Keep it coming!

DAY SEVEN

I have a few fish in mind for what I want to keep so I decided to use a jawfish house that I constructed a while back for my Biocube but never came to fruition. Here are the pics below when I put it together:

Parts from Lowes

dsc08488v.jpg

Finished product after super glue

dsc08498d.jpg

Inside my RSM 250

jawfishhouse2.jpg

Another angle

jawfishhouse1.jpg

I originally moved 10 gallons of water, all of the LR, and a 2-month old chemi-pure bag over from the Eclipse being broken down into the RSM 250. Unfortunately the occelaris was homeless so he had to move early as well. His last mate did not survive the tank crash so I will be getting him a buddy soon.

FTS pics when all of the microbubbles calm down.

NanoNewb2011
I originally moved 10 gallons of water, all of the LR, and a 2-month old chemi-pure bag over from the Eclipse being broken down into the RSM 250. Unfortunately the occelaris was homeless so he had to move early as well. His last mate did not survive the tank crash so I will be getting him a buddy soon.

FTS pics when all of the microbubbles calm down.

I want to see your aquascaping!

DAY TWELVE

Just the normal new tank stuff happening. Diatom algae is setting in on the spots with less flow and green spots are starting to appear on the glass.

Getting a B/W Occelaris at some point soon

I want to see your aquascaping!

Me too. The skimmer is still causing microbubbles and I still have LS white foam stains on the glass. I'll get in there and clean for a FTS soon.

DAY FIFTEEN

I split the output from Pump 1 to reduce the jet-like flow in one area. One side sprays water towards the surface and the other side pumps water towards the back of the display area.

nozzle1.jpg

Aquascape with the rock I currently have

aquascape1.jpg

FTS. I still have some white gunk on the glass from the LS foam.

fts1.jpg

Good start, need lots more LR though.

Indeed. Although I will be going somewhat light on the LR this time around to have more space in the display.

Indeed. Although I will be going somewhat light on the LR this time around to have more space in the display.

I like the split you did. I've been contemplating doing that myself. I ended up getting an MP10 to give me some extra flow behind my rock work but I still think i want to split the flow from the left nozzle. The pump behind it has got alot of output and i think its too much to come from one nozzle when the right one's output is only half

What did you use to split it?

I like the split you did. I've been contemplating doing that myself. I ended up getting an MP10 to give me some extra flow behind my rock work but I still think i want to split the flow from the left nozzle. The pump behind it has got alot of output and i think its too much to come from one nozzle when the right one's output is only half

What did you use to split it?

I used a 3/4" Y-fitting and 3/4" flare nozzle from DrsFosterandSmith. See parts F and B in the below image located at: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+4090&pcatid=4090

socket.jpg

Since the RSM has european fittings, its a pain in the ass to get them to fit without a little extra effort. I placed the two new pieces in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes and pulled them out with tongs. Using rubber gloves, I wedged the new pieces on the RSM elbow joints much easier. The whole thing took me about 10-15 minutes.

I'm sure I'll add some sort of magnetic powerhead at some point to get some more cross-flow and turbulance in the middle of the display. I'm waiting on the diatom to set in more so I can see where my lowest flow areas are first.

DAY 20

I ordered 20 pounds of Pukani LR through my local store. I was attracted to this type of rock because it closely resembles the base rock that I already have in the display and it is also very porous. I like small fish like gobies and blennies and wanted to have more porous rock than the traditional boulders.

I also added a black and white ocellaris to accompany the regular ocellaris that was already in there.

I used a 3/4" Y-fitting and 3/4" flare nozzle from DrsFosterandSmith. See parts F and B in the below image located at: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+4090&pcatid=4090

socket.jpg

Since the RSM has european fittings, its a pain in the ass to get them to fit without a little extra effort. I placed the two new pieces in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes and pulled them out with tongs. Using rubber gloves, I wedged the new pieces on the RSM elbow joints much easier. The whole thing took me about 10-15 minutes.

I'm sure I'll add some sort of magnetic powerhead at some point to get some more cross-flow and turbulance in the middle of the display. I'm waiting on the diatom to set in more so I can see where my lowest flow areas are first.

My lowest flow area was the right back corner and the back left corner. Right being worse. Added an mp10 on the left blowing across the back and it has helped

I'll check out the loc line

any new pics with the extra 20lbs in?

I'll tackle the green stuff again when get home this evening so I can post an updated pic.

I need to start looking at powerheads today as well. The diatom has set in enough for me to see where my problem areas are.

DAY 28

I likely rushed this so a note to the reef newbies out there: Don't do what I just did.

I was at my local store getting some water and noticed they had a nice, small Flame Angel that was eating pellets and nipping at the rock. He had only been there for two days and two more just like him had been sold in that time so I grabbed him up. He's in the tank now - swimming and eating fine.

I used 10 gallons of established tank water from a previous tank as well as roughly 15 pounds of LR from the same tank that I was tearing down. I likely still rushed adding him. Wish me luck.

Archived