ReefCleaners.org

Zalmaxiss' RSM 130d

zalmaxiss

My dry eco rock from BRS came yesterday and I started to cure it. From what I understand I want to remove the phosphate that will leak from the rock since it retards the growth of coral? I also bought a RO/DI unit from BRS and am currently curing the eco rock in a 37 gallon garbage can w/ Fresh RODI water, a 100w heater and a 240 gpm powerhead.

It has been about 20 hours and both (Salifert and API) phosphate tests read 0 from what I can tell. I will check each day for the levels. I have read to do this for about 4 weeks? I am not sure if I should add salt, will it speed up the leaking of phosphate?

My RSM will be here in the morning, I will take pics of the slow set up to keep track here! I also bought 40 lbs of live sand and a 550 GPH power head to help with flow in the RSM, is this too much?

Zal

Why would you buy rock that you know has phosphates in it?

That's a terrible idea. :-\

I dont know it does, thus far tests prove there arent any. From what I have been reading some rock does thats why you cure it. I may be wrong thats why I put it in the form of a question.

I ordered the "Eco Rock" from BRS also and I love it. First off why would you throw rock into a tub with just fresh water lol? Yes you will need to add salt and you should not have to start testing until a week later. No cycles are alike and it all depends on the process you use to cure your rock. When you start testing and your numbers are of the chart then that is when you start doing water changes. How i cured mine, I put it into the display with the lights OFF and used "saltwater" a heater and my mp10, let it sit for a week and started testing and when my numbers were sky high i started doing water changes but don't do to much of a water change because you will get rid of the bacteria. Some people say it takes 2 to 4 weeks and maybe longer but it all depends on you but it only took me around 3 weeks to cure mine. Until all of your levels are 0 do not toss it in your display because 99.9% of the time it will start the cycles over. Hope this helped.

Thanks for the info. I will consider the fresh water a "rinse" :lol: I will do as you suggest and will update as I see the numbers rise and fall. It is some good looking rock, I may have to get the wife involved in doing the Aquascape with me!

Sounds like a plan but don't forget to post a picture when your aquascape is done. Also if you cannot get the scape you want you can always epoxy it or use rods omgomgomg

The eco rock from BRS should not have any phosphates in it. If it does, i would return it. I know BRS had some bad batches a few years ago and it scared people but it is fine now.

Rinsing it off to get rid of the dust is all that is needed. You don't need to cure dry rock. I added 30lbs of dry rock after rinsing right to my setup the day I got it. Have never had a problem doing this in the past, either.

Congrats on the RSM! Mine is about 9 mos old and my first reef tank as well. I love it!

Take your time on the scape and have fun with it. I made mine with dry rock and hammer. Just putty and glue them together. That bond is stronger than the rock itself!

Just like aquatect said, just wash the rock off and let it dry before you glue anything together.

Another few pieces of advice would be to view your scape from above as you build it so you can better see how the light will hit it for future coral placement . Also, I try to keep the scape far enough away from the glass so you can clean it.

Good luck and welcome to NR.

Here it is set up! The salt is about all dissolved, check my salinity, adjust and then on to aquascaping. I did find the skimmer SUPER LOUD and read about people modding the lid to route the air hose in to it. It helped quite a bit after I completed that little mod. Thanks for all the tips guys! Especially the eco rock!

post-75735-1344714523_thumb.jpg

post-75735-1344714531_thumb.jpg

The eco rock from BRS should not have any phosphates in it. If it does, i would return it. I know BRS had some bad batches a few years ago and it scared people but it is fine now.

Rinsing it off to get rid of the dust is all that is needed. You don't need to cure dry rock. I added 30lbs of dry rock after rinsing right to my setup the day I got it. Have never had a problem doing this in the past, either.

I do not know where in the world you heard this from but it is false. I have purchased nothing but "dry rock" and yes it still does have dead organic material on it and you have to cure any rock before you throw it into a aquarium. So before you start blabbering your mouth and giving fellow reefers false information do your research please! :slap:

Yay! Another RSM!

I started mine with live UNCURED rock straight from the gulf. That was a party.

I did order a 1 pound tongan branch from BRS and it was still juicy when I got it. It was smelling very strongly of bleach. I don't know if their rock is real rock that is bleached or man made argonite pieces that have unique shapes but if it is anything like my tongan branch, it will jump start the ammonia for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE! I have finished the aquascape and am well on my way in the cycle. My ammonia is dropping off slightly and nitrites are on the rise, nitrates are starting to show strongly as well. Just waiting for my diatom bloom! Ordered some stuff from StevieT today as well! I would like to get some coral and fish in this tank before the "supposed" cold Illinois winter makes a return...

post-75735-1345739375_thumb.jpg

thadscottmoore
UPDATE! I have finished the aquascape and am well on my way in the cycle. My ammonia is dropping off slightly and nitrites are on the rise, nitrates are starting to show strongly as well. Just waiting for my diatom bloom! Ordered some stuff from StevieT today as well! I would like to get some coral and fish in this tank before the "supposed" cold Illinois winter makes a return...

nice rock-scape! your on your way!

Tank completed cycle today! 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. Unfortunately, one of the fans took a crap in the hood and my temp is hitting 83-85. I ordered some different 50 mm fans to replace the RSM ones. After the fan replacement am I able to add anything? I have read add a CUC, but I see no algae on anything. What will they eat?

I may have missed it, but did you "seed" your rock or sand??? If not, take some small rocks and especially a scoop of sand from a tank that you trust and put it in there!

Personally, I'd wait till you get some good growth on those rocks and hit up John @ reef cleaners for your CUC.

Nice scape btw!!

Thank you!

I put in live sand, dry rock and some Dr.Tim's One and only. I did have the lights off until yesterday when I did a test run on the timer. Oh, I use Ammonium Chloride for the ammonia source

I got my first frags of coral! I was told they are a watermelon zoa, pulsing xenia, xmas favia and green star polyps.

The xmas favia isnt looking too well.

post-75735-1347198010_thumb.jpg

post-75735-1347198025_thumb.jpg

post-75735-1347198035_thumb.jpg

post-75735-1347198047_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

It has been almost 6 months. I am finally starting to see a bit of growth. I did add a media basket, Tunze 9001 skimmer and an MP10.

post-75735-0-48202200-1360527664_thumb.jpg

Archived