Pod Your Reef

Fluval 6 Gallon Noob Tank!

dxmaster

like it man! I used to have a fluval edge but lol!!!!! I fail, with all the money I wasted trying to find good lights for it without removing the hood, I could of get a bigger tank with everything reef ready! Hope you don't give up on it this tank is sexy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another question! My frog spawn looks a little different than he normally does at night. Two of the heads are retracted but still swaying around a bit and a little extended. The other 5 are totally tucked into their little skin-like area. Any idea what would cause that? Why would 2 of the heads sway around but the other 5 retract in so much?

Photo attached, but it's like midnight here so the super night lights are on.

post-75651-1345360498_thumb.jpg

So I did a water change on thursday last week. Everything is still going strong. :) The frog only did what was in the pic above one night, went back to being normal now. I hit up another LFS and they have a huge selection of coral, it was kinda awesome. I picked up my last livestock purchase there, a black ice clownfish. I also got half off a brain coral so I picked that up too. I'll get a new FTS up this week after my next water change. :)

Got a new FTS up on the first post, took it after doing my water change today. I' dunno how much I like this Koralia Nano. I may take it out for something smaller inside the tank like the MP10.

Picked up a few more corals today at the LFS.

Fire & Ice Zoa Colony

post-75651-1345936079_thumb.jpg

Red Mushrooms

post-75651-1345936086_thumb.jpg

Metallic Green Fungia Plate (That's what they called it. :))

post-75651-1345936093_thumb.jpg

I got a fluval edge to and also was going to purchase an ai nano, i got 1 black oscellaris clownfish, 1 yellow watchmen goby and 1 barnacle blenny and some softies and lps corals ill definately follow along. This is also my first tank as well.

Good Luck!

So I sold my GSP to a friend whos just starting his tank. It wasn't the metallic green one that I wanted and the roc it was on was making my tank a bit more crowded than I really wanted.

Also, my plate is a little fatty. Food always hits its tentacles when I'm feeding my fish and inevitably he devours it.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAD ONE OF THOSE IN MY FLuval edge to and i was like whaaaaat is THAT!!!

it was crawlin all over the glass and i just picked it up and threw it in the trash almost like a sea slug thing with antennae? I cant eggsactly tell in the vid but hopefully a pro can identify it for u GOOD LUCK :D

So another installment of wtf is this thing? A baby snail? It's Inbetween my zoas And my Astraea snail in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7U6fOJNjFM...be_gdata_player

Stomatella. Awesomest HH there is. Please don't throw it in the trash.

I HAD ONE OF THOSE IN MY FLuval edge to and i was like whaaaaat is THAT!!!

it was crawlin all over the glass and i just picked it up and threw it in the trash almost like a sea slug thing with antennae? I cant eggsactly tell in the vid but hopefully a pro can identify it for u GOOD LUCK :D

Yep, good policy to indiscriminately kill everything you don't understand. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

currentFTS.jpg

I figure its time to update my FTS.

I've added a gsp frag that I dont know where I'm going to put yet. A yuma and a hollywood stunner frag and a feather duster. I also broke up my ugly mushroom rock into essentially mushroom frags and they're sitting behind my gsp frag.

I've heard that happy plates get really puffy, if so, mine is insanely happy. Is it bad that the edge is pressed up against the front glass?

• 4 weeks later...

I havn't updated this in a while but all is well. I lost the yuma, it wasnt very happy for some reason and decided to detach from the rock it came on and roll around until it started oozing so I took it out. Other than that, everything is alive and well!

Great looking tank, glad to see it's all staying healthy. I've just started with almost exactly the same setup as you, fluval edge and AI nano, also first tank, just cycling. I'm curious, you mentioned altering the AC20 to stop the splash getting onto the nano, could you post a pick of that? And what have you done to protect the nano?

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Great looking tank, glad to see it's all staying healthy. I've just started with almost exactly the same setup as you, fluval edge and AI nano, also first tank, just cycling. I'm curious, you mentioned altering the AC20 to stop the splash getting onto the nano, could you post a pick of that? And what have you done to protect the nano?

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

I had originally cut a sheet of that overhead fluorescent paneling to fit the top but i ended up giving up with that because i could never cut it the right way. I just tossed the hood for the edge and used the arm for the AI and just wedged it between the back channel and the filter. It's kinda ghetto but it works. Planning on ditching the edge for a 20 long here in a few months. Working with the opening in the edge has proven to be a pain in the butt. I may turn the edge into something once i start to the 20L, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Another really overdue tank update. :)

My plate is dying because my clown hosted it to death. :( I added a few things today from my LFS during a black friday sale including some purple death palys, tubs blue zoas, toxic green candy cane and a duncan frag. I also picked up a few nerite snails to add to my astreas since 2 of my astrea snails toppled over and were devoured by my hermit crabs. I also picked up a frag rack to put my frags on so they dont take up all of my sand bed. Another welcome addition that I spotted today was another feather duster worm that showed up out of nowhere. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've totally neglected updating this thread. I promise new photos after christmas!

The only slight update is that my galaxea is losing a battle with my hollywood stunner frag and my plate is done for.

jedimasterben

I've totally neglected updating this thread. I promise new photos after christmas!

The only slight update is that my galaxea is losing a battle with my hollywood stunner frag and my plate is done for.

That's the opposite of what should be happening. Galaxea are some of the most aggressive corals out there and they don't lose fights to other LPS. You'd be losing it for some other reason, IMHO.

I've seen the sweepers from the hollywood stunner attaching to the galaxea and the heads of the galaxea that are dead are the ones closest to the stunner. I'm in a dilemma because I dont wanna move the galaxea somewhere that it can wipe out other corals. =/

• 2 months later...

So, I retired this tank. I got tired of the small opening in the edge, moved everything over to a 20 Long.

Archived