SaltCritters.com

Add Chemipure Elite or just plain Carbon

sfnt125

So I started a tank Threadabout 3 days ago and w/o retyping everything from the thread I will make a long story short.

I'm trying to 'soft' cycle the tank because I bought LR with corals attached. LR is also full of filter feeders and probably good Bac. So, I've been testing water multiple times a day and have done a small ~ 12% WC yesterday. No noticeable drop in trates so today after suggestion from friend I bought some MicroBac7 from LFS. Tested water before and 2hrs after adding MicroBacter. Somewhat of a change(hardly noticeable).

My question is, should I add carbon or do Chemipure elite which will take care of other crap as well? Or should I just sit cycle out and just stick with MicroBac7? Just don't wanna lose corals or good organisms on rock, ya know?

Opinions please.

Do bigger water changes. Try a 30% or 50% change.

So you suggest WCs and no chemical filtration? I'm of that theory as well, less added 'unnatural' chemicals/filters, the better. But I do want to see everything make it through cycle w/o too much stress.

Will this soft cycle delay the inevitable process or just make it less noticeable? Meaning ammo then trite, then trate rises, diatoms, etc.

Oh yes, add chemipure. Or purigen. Both are great.

Ok, so you suggest larger WCs and adding Chemipure? Does this defeat purpose of cycle? Or are you suggesting it for soft cycle?

Just do WCs, use chemipure, and wait until the params are stable. I have no idea what a "soft cycle" is, is it where you add live rock instead of dry?

Just do WCs, use chemipure, and wait until the params are stable. I have no idea what a "soft cycle" is, is it where you add live rock instead of dry?

In a sense. I don't quite understand them either but from what I've read/researched, it's done with 'good' live rock/sand yes. It's basically a way of preserving good bac. and organisms/corals/filter feeders instead of them dying off and creating a ammonia spike etc.

I want to keep the cycle as natural as possible while still preserving life in tank w/o too much stress.

I guess I thought that during a 'normal' cycle you didn't add chemical filers nor do WCs that much and just let the cycle run its course so to speak. Is this wrong?

From what I read, a "soft" cycle is when you try to keep ammonia/nitrite levels down as much as possible while cycling live rock. This is to attempt to preserve as much of the fauna on them as possible. I guess it'd be the same principle as cycling with fish but with LR instead - there's ammonia being generated and you'd like to keep it from killing the livestock.

From what I always thought, it was better to just let your tank cycle without any water chagnes or any media. By doing that the beneficial bacteria is formed through a nautral process so I say dont add anything.

From what I always thought, it was better to just let your tank cycle without any water chagnes or any media. By doing that the beneficial bacteria is formed through a nautral process so I say dont add anything.

I'm in agreeance. But I have good rock with several nice corals attached so I want to cycle w/o loosing the corals and good stuff on rock.

darkwhitemagic

MB7 is the biggest garbage... I have had hitchhikers survive through a hard cycle... unless they are really nice corals or expensive things you like, I would just sit back and let it cycle. to each their own

I didn't use chemipure on my 10g for a couple of months, so you will be fine if you don't put it in at all. To be safe, you should probably just wait until the cycle is complete.

The only thing exceptional about chemipure is their marketing team., Its simply carbon and GFO mixed together with other crap that makes no difference in saltwater., It was developed as a freshwater product and conveniently phased over., That being said.,, Carbon doesnt do much as far as limiting nitrates., Your best bet is to keep doing what your doing.,

Frequent small water changes.,., Daily., every few days., whateves but try to limit the rate of change in your system,., Coral will do ok in surprisingly bad condition given that they are brought there over time.,

The coral will do what the coral will do., If youve got something that requires pristine water then your going to have a hard time no matter what you do.,., If youve just got mushrooms and the like you could just about leave the rock in the sun for a couple of days and theyd probably still come back.,

Your best bet is to keep doing what your doing.,

Frequent small water changes.,., Daily., every few days., whateves but try to limit the rate of change in your system,., Coral will do ok in surprisingly bad condition given that they are brought there over time.,

The coral will do what the coral will do., If youve got something that requires pristine water then your going to have a hard time no matter what you do.,.,

I will just stick with the natural route for right now. You're right I think, corals look good so I'm just being a worry wart I think. The Hollywood stunner had its tentacles extended crazy long today so I'll try and chill on worring about its health.

Archived