d7b31710.jpg

FTS 03 Sep 2012

2d3dfed297e7ba4bbd69b3c8cd861284.jpg

FTS 22 Oct 2012

d0f54d8376464112a8159d8383cc3918.jpg

FTS 03 Nov 2012

7ff4075858d0891c005dcdb665729530.jpg

• Display: 30"x12"x12"
    Filtration: AC 70 / ~25lbs live rock / AquaC Remora Nano / CPR Aquafuge w/cheato
    Lighting: AI SOL Blue w/controller
    Flow: Vortech MP10es
    Heater: Jäger 75w

Looks like a good start. I like the minimalist scape and the equipment is awesome. looking forward to seeing it stocked.

Ok so, as the title states, I've been outta the hobby for about 12 yrs. Why did I get back into it? I don't know, but I have loved every late night spent researching this forum and countless others for the past two months. Thanks all for the inspiration and community!

A little history and then more pics and probably a couple questions. I had a tank while I was in college and it was an impulse buy. Bought tons of livestock, corals and fish alike. Inadequate filtration and lighting, coupled with my college lifestyle-5 yrs and no degree-led to a continuous cycle. Although I didn't have anything die on me over the course of a year I wouldn't say anything really thrived either. Long story short, my tank crashed-literally. Came home from class one day to find my tank leaking and so I grabbed some buckets and brought everything over to the LFS across the street. End of story.

Fast forward 12yrs. Active duty Army, still no college degree and now I live in a house w/3, soon to be 4 crazy roommates-mylovely wife, two boys and a girl that's due Aug 8th. We decided to get a fish tank and after doing much research we finally have one up and running.

Enough writing, iPad sux for posting long messages anyways. On to pics.

Sorry for crappy quality (iPad). Better ones will follow as soon as I figure out how to upload to photobucket from wife's camera.

Stand still needs shelves, built this using about $50 and ~4hrs.

5337ca13.jpg

Whole tank and light

b8992c97.jpg

How I hung my AI SOL-I know the excess wire needs to be cut-haven't figured out AWL for light yet

1cad2a3f.jpg

A montipora I think? I know I haven't cycled yet, it was on the rock I bought.

21088352.jpg

Water params (using API test kit)

PH: 8.2-8.4

NH3: 0.25-0.50 ppm

NO2-: 0 ppm

NO3-: 10-20 ppm

Cycle/Tank set up 2 days ago

Questions:

Since using live rock and sand that has beneficial bacteria & coral on it already should I do a 'soft cycle'? Meaning I do a WC soon. I don't wanna lose the coral and mini feather dusters but I do want a good cycle to build up beneficial bacteria.

Thoughts? I am also only running floss in filter. Figured this was good way to keep bacteria in tank up instead of adding chemicals to 'scrub' it before its allowed to work itself out naturally. Should I add anything to filter?

Also, I plan on either purchasing a fuge from CPR or making one outta acrylic. Wanted to add this later as I'm sticking with the theory that the DT should be relatively self sufficient as far as beneficial bacteria goes before I add any additional items (equipment/livestock)

Please feel free to chime in. I would like to hear what y'all think.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a good start. I like the minimalist scape and the equipment is awesome. looking forward to seeing it stocked.

Thanks! I've been bit fo sho! I figured I can always add rock if I buy frags not on disks but on rocks. This will be a mostly LPS/softy/clam tank with maybe 3 fish.

As far as corals go I'm in trouble. ;)Reefkoi Corals is about 3 miles down the street. Check him out. Chris has phenomenal stuff and a lot of what he has isn't on his site.

Well looks like I'm going to test water in a couple hours and do a small water change. There is still crap on the surface film that has been there since I added sand. I will siphon the surface crap off and replace whatever was taken out.

Well I did the WC. 2 gallons~12%, will see how it affects the chemistry. I will check params before bed and probably before work tomorrow. I will also start mixing another bucket for a change if needed for tomorrow.

Anyone have any thoughts on this "semi" soft cycle I'm creating?

What's the easiest/best way to get rid of those annoying white bubbles (almost sludge like) creating a surface film after adding sand to tank?

zoanthidfreak

looks good mate :) i love the scape, monti is nice too :) I think having the live rock and live sand in there, should allow you for the 'soft' cycle, I did the same thing when setting up one of my older tanks and it worked for me, tank was being stocked after 2 weeks, and i know people will get on here and say thats wrong but it worked for me, not saying it will for you though. keep updating, I'll definately be following this one, can't wait to see it stocked :) what are yopu thinking for the fish?

Alex

Looking good man. I always rinse sand before putting it in the tank. The nastiness probably isn't bad for the tank, but it's annoying. Filter floss or foam should pull a lot of it out. Manual surface skimming works too.

As far as wanting to keep the cycle tame and quickly build up your denitrifying bacteria, check out either MicroBacter7 (from bright well - seascape should have it) or Stability by seachem. I have used both with good results. Im using stability now and haven't had any ammonia, trites or trates in my tank after 9 days. Other big concerns aside from these big three cycling indicators, maintain your pH and alk/cal at good levels so that cool looking monti doesn't die.

All that and keep the pics coming!

Also, the colors on that thing make it look like it could be a Hollywood stunner type chalice. Hard to really see the eyes/polyps. Montis have little sps style polyps and chalices typically have more lps looking eyes.

Looks great.

Thanks! Your tank is a huge inspiration!

looks good mate :) i love the scape, monti is nice too :) I think having the live rock and live sand in there, should allow you for the 'soft' cycle, I did the same thing when setting up one of my older tanks and it worked for me, tank was being stocked after 2 weeks, and i know people will get on here and say thats wrong but it worked for me, not saying it will for you though. keep updating, I'll definately be following this one, can't wait to see it stocked :) what are yopu thinking for the fish?

Alex

Well we'll see how 'soft' goes. Did water change last night and checked params today. Same. Read below on thread cause I'm trying a little experiment. As far as fish go, I really want a Blue Spotted Jaw-dunno if I wanna deal with a possible jumper though. A blennyspecies, haven't decided on which one and a pair of onyx or Picasso or black ice clowns. Thanks IIX! :P

Looking good man. I always rinse sand before putting it in the tank. The nastiness probably isn't bad for the tank, but it's annoying. Filter floss or foam should pull a lot of it out. Manual surface skimming works too.

As far as wanting to keep the cycle tame and quickly build up your denitrifying bacteria, check out either MicroBacter7 (from bright well - seascape should have it) or Stability by seachem. I have used both with good results. Im using stability now and haven't had any ammonia, trites or trates in my tank after 9 days. Other big concerns aside from these big three cycling indicators, maintain your pH and alk/cal at good levels so that cool looking monti doesn't die.

All that and keep the pics coming!

Also, the colors on that thing make it look like it could be a Hollywood stunner type chalice. Hard to really see the eyes/polyps. Montis have little sps style polyps and chalices typically have more lps looking eyes.

Thanks, and I bought the Micro Bac7 from Brightwell today. Read below for experiment results. Also tested Alk. Crazy thing is within 4 min of adding the Micro Bac the chalice's 'fingers' were all fully extended out of each eye! It was crazy cool to see. Wish I had gotten a pic of it but my iPad has crap camera. I'll soon figure out how to transfer photos from wife's camera to photobucket.

Experiment time!

Water Params

NH3: 0.25-0.50ppm

NO2-: 0ppm

NO3-: 10-20ppm

ALK: 10-12dKH (depending upon how bright 'bright yellow' is)-API kit :unsure:

Results Pic

33a55a4d.jpg

First, I tested params at 2000hrs local. With above results.

So I bought some Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 today after a suggestion from a friend. Bottle says it can be used to help seed new aquarium and used as a supplement on established aquariums. I followed directions for 'seeding' new aquarium and added solution at 2015hrs. Bottle also says that a noticeable difference in water clarity will be apparent after 30 min in your tank. So I took a photo right before addition.

86b2a536.jpg

I will take a photo in approx 15min and re-test params in about 30 min. Photos of tank and water tests to follow. Stay tuned!

Dr Tims one and only for reefs would be a much better choice at this stage than microbacter 7.

Hehe, appreciate it but I already purchased, ntm, I didn't see any other types at LFS anyways :P

Forgot to mention. Chalices tentacles were going crazy and extending like I've never seen within min. of adding MicroBac?

Oh yeah, I built a skimmer attachment for AC. It's the white eyesore in corner of tank. Only cost $4.11. Will run it for the evening to clean up this sand sludge on surface. Maybe I'll take it off or try and get a close-up if anyone's interested.

Experiment didn't turn out how I wanted but I'll stay patient and test again before work tomorrow. Results of water params at 2215hrs. Exactly 2 hrs after adding MicroBacter7.

NH3: 0.25-0.50ppm

NO2-:0ppm

NO3-:10-20ppm

ALK:10-12dKH (what is bright yellow to you?)

fb8ba7e1.jpg

Tank clarity

0de95748.jpg

I did notice the water being clearer but it could my imagination or new mod for filter :huh:.

Also, you can't really tell from crap pics but I actually think ammonia level was lower than before. Instead of a solid color between 0.25-0.50ppm it was actually more cloudy and lighter (more yellow than green). Good sign I think. More to follow tomorrow.

Dr Tims one and only for reefs would be a much better choice at this stage than microbacter 7.

I don't understand this quote at all. They are both products designed to be put into a new aquarium to help establish more nitrifying bacteria. I would definitely be interested in hearing your logic.

Sry to hijack sfnt lol.

Give the tank some time. The MB7 should help build up the natural bacteria you need. I didn't realize that they claimed results in less than an hour, but for what you need to keep that thing alive (the stunner frags floating around are generally pretty hardy) I think MB7 will only help.

Sry to hijack sfnt lol.

Give the tank some time. The MB7 should help build up the natural bacteria you need. I didn't realize that they claimed results in less than an hour, but for what you need to keep that thing alive (the stunner frags floating around are generally pretty hardy) I think MB7 will only help.

No prob bro. I'm gonna stick with it! I did notice clarity within minutes, as evidenced by before/after photos. Thanks for suggestion!

Very nice tank.

Appreciate it. Will check yours out when I get home from work.

A slight showing of diatoms today. We shall see where that goes?

Water params

PH:~8.0(hard to tell from test)

NH3: 0.25ppm

NO2-: 0ppm

NO3-:~15ppm

ALK: 8.5 dKH

f93d5fbf.jpg

So I'm going to keep testing multiple times per day and stick with the MB7 regimen. Ammonia isn't crazy high and no trace of nitrite, yet... Can someone please give me some suggestions for PH buffer and Alk increaser-lol. Do my photos look like I need the stuff?

I bought some of this stuff today

e767a888.jpg

I bought it cause I wanted to feed my chalice and brown monti through this cycle. Results, the stunner was extending its 'fingers' even more so than yesterday. The corals are looking great but I think I'm going to turn the SOL down a little.

How do you tell if your chalice is getting too much light?

On another note. I have been cleaning out my AC 70 everyotherday (replacing filter floss). This evening the thing starts spitting out a bunch of bubbles. I wonder if it's bacteria built up in the filter or if it's the skimmer mod I put on it yesterday-didnt have bubbles at all yesterday and most of today? I will clean it out and put stock tube on it, see how that works.

Sorry I didn't post yesterday y'all. I jumped out of an airplane twice and was too burnt out to post.

I did however water param test like I was before and added my MB7 regimen. Diatoms spread a little more on sand bed (covering maybe 10% now). They were also on glass (just above bloom), so I scraped them off.

I have one more jump this evening and then Graduate Army Jumpmaster School tomorrow. I will get home tonight and test wafer and provide photos.

I keep waiting for this cycle. Ammonia spike, nitrite, etc. Is it possible to not see this if I used established rock and live sand?

More to follow after jump.

Day 10-Water Params

PH:8.2-8.4

NH3:0ppm

NO2-:0ppm

NO3-:5-10ppm

ALK:8.5dKH

SG:1.026

Diatoms haven't expanded any since this morning. Ammonia has disappeared. Wonder if Nitrite will show?

I might have completed this "soft" cycle in 10 days. Damn that would be fast! I will continue to monitor closely and test water 3 times a day. 15% WC scheduled for tomorrow.

Archived