SFNT125's 20L

sfnt125

Day 11-Water Params

PH:8.2-8.4

NH3:0ppm

NO2-:0ppm

NO3-:5-10ppm

ALK:8.5dKH

No photos of test tubes. I hate the way iPad photos turn out. I'm gonna find my camera this weekend if it's the last thing I do!

I added small CUC. Two crabs and 3 snails. Mostly to see what kinda dent they could put in the diatoms and other algae growing. I didn't want to bio load too heavy since this is just after cycle.

Preformed a small 15% WC. See how that affects water params tomorrow.

I bought some Aiptasia-X today to take care of small population and I looks as if I worked real well. Too easy! Will no more when light come on tomorrow.

Speaking of lights, I played with my SOL and came up with this schedule. What do y'all think?

Timer 1: 11 AM 0WH 3BL 3RY 60min ramp up

Timer 2: 12 PM 10WH 16BL 16RY 120min ramp up

Timer 3: 2 PM 20WH 26BL 26RY 60min ramp up

Timer 4: 3 PM 30WH 36BL 36BY 30 min ramp up

Timer 5: 7 PM 20WH 26BL 26RY 60 min ramp down

Timer 6: 8 PM 10WH 16BL 16RY 120 min ramp down

Timer 7: 10 PM 0WH 3BL 3RY 60 min ramp down + lunar

Timer 8: 11 PM off

What do y'all think about this 13Hr photoperiod?

Ok, which fish should I purchase?

Either a Blue spotted jawfish, bi-color blenny, tail spotted blenny, or Midas blenny.

If I purchase the jawfish, will I need to make a top cover for tank? Or, since he/she would be introduced first would that cover be necessary?

Good work on jm. Don't envy you there lol.

Of all those blennies the Midas definitely looks cool. I love the stary blenny's personalities though. They are like a dog in fish form. The tail spots look cool but they stay relatively small and seem more shy. The blue spot jawfish is a cool fish but they need some room to work with for their burrows in the sandbed. Probably 3" minimum (never had one).

Jaw fish are jumpers. Tight lid is needed. Are you cycling? A little confused as you state you have coral in the tank.

Yeah, I've given up on Jawfish idea I think. Ive got about 2-3 in sandbed, not deep enough I read. I'm not cycling anymore. 10 days (actually less) and params are stable. Diatoms ans some algae. I had algae on my rocks already from using all live rock/sand. I added a small CUC. 3 crabs and 5 snails.

The Hollywood stunner and brown monti was already on the rock I purchased. I know I shouldn't have cycled with corals but they are pretty hardy species and are both doing great. Only thing I had to learn was proper lighting length(photo period), above water height for fixture and intensities for ramp periods. So far so good. 4 gallon WC scheduled for tonight.

Good looking tank! Excited to see which clowns you end up with!

And thank you for your service! Graduate Army Jumpmaster sounds pretty legit!

Good looking tank! Excited to see which clowns you end up with!

And thank you for your service! Graduate Army Jumpmaster sounds pretty legit!

Thanks, I've been slow on updates. So, sorry for that. Wife is due in two days with our 3rd. Finally, a girl!

I saw some snow/onyxs last night and I can't remember for the life of me where I spotted them. They were sick. I'm really having a tough time deciding between all the different 'designers'. But I've got a little time before I have to make that decision because I will be adding them last to the tank.

My pleasure to serve! Grandfather and Father both did. Both pissed at first. LOL. They get it though. Yeah, JM was pretty intense. Nerve wracking to say the least. A lot of variables up there. Funny thing is, I used to get anxious every time I jumped. Now after hanging out the A/Cs door, that's all I wanna do on jumps-put people out the door and exit myself.

At my LFS they have the coolest looking snows! They look like they're not even real, like from a movie or painting! There are so many choices but you can only get a couple for a small tank...

Congrats on the (future) girl too!

I have a family member that is a Marine, and he would always have some different story to tell me, which was always interesting. I have always thought about joining the military, but have been talked out of it. Instead I am on my way to becoming a firefighter! A service of a different kind anyway!

Ok everyone. I haven't posted in a while. Not like I have many followers anyways but I have the newest edition to the "Big DT". Here she is, Marybeth! Born yesterday. Weighing in at 7lbs. 1oz. 19.5" long. She is pretty chill and will definately have to be "drip" acclimated for a long time with her crazy older brothers.

She is nice and healthy and just perfect! I feel like celebrating and going out to purchase my first fish. Is that weird? :P

5948720c.jpg

Congrats on the little one. :)

Thanks much! I have a feeling I might be slowly reversing my photoperiod. This will give me tankside bonding time with her when she keeps us up at night. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Congrats on the new little frag!

Thanks much Kat! Delicate species but very hardy at the same time. I've/we've had to acclimate, not her. Drip acclimating from a fire hose. LOL

Congrats buddy. Lucky man, you. I'm crossing my fingers to get back out in Colorado. Can see the tank in real life. Hows it going?

Thanks Gabe! For sure, or if I'm ever out East for a school. Everything is great, I've been busy and my thread has suffered but the tank is thriving. Pics to follow. Lots to update.

So here's some new pics in no particular order. I also have a few questions for you softie lovers out there. Questions will come after the pics. Without further adeu...

Sugar Cloves or whatever your supplier likes to call them(I've heard like 3 names for these)

f9548ca0f50d3fd8e2c817effb77b97b.jpg

GSP or pipe and Chartreuse Goni

b1c67990d81e46ce9cb8a5c8c1ed87a9.jpg

Two Rhoda mushrooms, various zoas/palys(love the night mauls) and Palau Nepth in background

44c75a073b502c602a56bf6cf60b756d.jpg

My starry in his "spot" under the Hollywood Stunner rock

4c0f22ac1347739356c051bd8de036f8.jpg

Side shot

3c12ba65618ccd171bfcb9a23a176822.jpg

Ric, chartreuse Rhoda mush and Hellfire Goni that hasn't come out yet

7bf0bed7a56544bada31d535e3a56cc5.jpg

So an update for y'all. I had a baby the first week of August and life has been crazy since. My job has been crazy busy too so I haven't had much time to post and I feel terrible as I owe some ppl some photos and some explanations on my build and for that I'm sorry y'all but I'm back so here we go.

Anyways, since I last posted I have done much to the tank. I have aquascaped a bit and it's not as hard using the two part mix as I though it was. Not to mention, I thought I would be poisoning the tank inhabitants but I haven't noticed any ill effects during or since the process. I did however do a 20% WC immediately following my use of the two part putty and all the loctite gel of the frags that I glued.

I have also added about $250 worth of corals to the tank. I live right down the road from Reefkoi and Chris the owner only displays about 1/100th of what he grows. His frag tanks are so sick! Every visit is a reefers wet dream.

I have really come to love zoas/palys, mushrooms and softies in general. My plans are for a mixed reef eventually but it needs to mature yet and I need a couple more pieces of equipment before I start adding more delicate species.

Ok, gotta go, baby crying, more to follow and a couple questions.

Ok, couple questions.

My Starry blenny is a scaredy cat. I want him to come it like his tankmates but don't know how to coax him out. Suggestions? I don't even see him eat but I know he does cause he's still alive and I've had him for a couple weeks now.

Also, I've heard Goniapora is a hard species to keep and I have two. LOL. So, I have a green one that immediately took to the tank and seems to be doing well and I also have a pink and yellow one that still hasn't fully extended. It's placed on the bottom of the tank now in a moderate to high flow area. Should I try moving it or leaving it? More/less light more/less flow. Is this species really finicky?

I probably just need to leave it and chill but it's hard when you want to give it the best home. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

• 1 month later...

Update.

I bought some more corals this weekend. Starting to dabble in SPS now. I got an Acro and a Pocillopora. I will update tonight with photos and maybe y'all can help be better identify the species/nick names.

I also bought an Aqua C Remora nano skimmer and have a HOB Fuge in the mail.

Anyone have any experience with the JBJ nano glo fuge light or the Aqua C Remora Nano skimmer? The skimmer has only been running about 12hrs and is still loud. The noise isn't a major concern and I read that once it breaks in it will quite down. There is also some micro bubbles in the DT which I also read will disappear once the unit breaks in. Anyone know how long break in takes. Thanks.

Ok, so I need some help identifying the Acro and Pocillopora and Palys. Do they have specific nicknames? Any help would be awesome! Thanks

Acro - It's generally white but the lower body portions are a pinkish hue and the polyps are almost green/purple (dark) with longer white ones in the center. Forgive me as I don't know the technical names for the different types of polyps and picture color sux from iPhone.

6d2d2a39b54e00641a33074f37f84466.jpg

Pocillopora - Pinkish body with green tipped polyps

e3afe79932b756308ad59d65122c56b2.jpg

Palys - dark body with orange spots

867cfd8853ee679b7773f1a22449190e.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on the coral species?

Also, I have some green bubble algae that is springing up. I've added an emerald crab and he hasn't found them yet. He's been in the tank for about 4 days now and if y'all have suggestions on how to get him to eat the algae that would be awesome. I thought about getting another. Is 2 emerald crabs too much for a 20L?

hypersnyper694788
Anyone have any ideas on the coral species?

Also, I have some green bubble algae that is springing up. I've added an emerald crab and he hasn't found them yet. He's been in the tank for about 4 days now and if y'all have suggestions on how to get him to eat the algae that would be awesome. I thought about getting another. Is 2 emerald crabs too much for a 20L?

My luck is 50/50 with emeralds. Sometimes they pick my sps ,sometimes they eat bubble, sometimes they do neither. I have manually removed some bubble algae while doing a WC, I keep the flow off and the siphon very close to suck out any spores if I happen to break one. Warning you can definitely spread the bubble this way if your not careful.

I'm not so good at identifying coral sorry.

Tank looks great y the way.

Thanks Hyper! You've got a sic tank!

I am going to try using a syring to drain the bubbles. I pre fill the syringe with something and inject a little to kill the spores before I suck the individual bubbles up. Time consuming to go after each bubble individually but it may just work or at least slow it down a lot so I can get a handle on the main reason for the problem. Nitrate

3422af6dee65718aee1676105e9c1fa9.jpg

Spent my Birthday money today. Wait till y'all see them. I snatched up a rainbow euphyllia that is just ridiculous. Once they're all acclimated I will update with some photos.

I got some regular shrooms, yumas, zoas, acans, a plate and I forget what else. Standby for photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pics today. Here's some of what was in those bags and cups from above post. Enjoy!

Rainbow Wall Hammer

a571feb159b8de3851d3ff61d3b57533.jpg

Orange and Green Fungia

6ff3d32a0ef1d54f61972aaead6512a3.jpg

Palau Nepthea

cacbc9f0aa657c73edb37542373fd071.jpg

Suns / I'll try for a shot when the tubes are open next time I feed.

1a45dcfea1c25aea0effad73f1d5e6e7.jpg

Acans / Camera does not do these guys justice.

041d7d0ea68a91827968fa9a1a57c043.jpg

Archived