Top Shelf Aquatics

How slow of a stream is your RO/DI BRS producing?

chabooky386

Well... if it's a 75gpd unit it is rated to make 75 gallons in 24 hours. Of course, that assumes a certain temperature and water pressure. Insufficient pressure and/or temperature could drop that by as much as half. In most parts of the US, you'll notice that you won't make water quite as fast during the winter months.

With that being said, you should have a steady stream of water that will make about a gallon of RO/DI water every twenty minutes.

doppelganger

painfully slow... but yeah like seabass, I can typically make around 3-4 gallons in an hour. I varies cuz the pressure fluctuations in my condo. I also added the booster cuz the pressure wasn't enough to begin with.

C.I._Reefer

wow! you guys are lucky at my good ole 42 psi water pressure it takes me just over 2 hours to make 5g outta a 75gpd. I can start my ro in a 20g aquarium when i go to bed and when i get up 9 hours later it isnt full yet

Man my water pressure must suck in my condo. 2hr 15 min for 5 gal on brs ro/di unit, maybe I should use the hose in the garage since that seems to have decent pressure

I thInk I have a 100gpd Melev reef Rodi and it takes 2.5hrs to make 5g from one side of my house which has ok pressure, but from another spigot it takes about an hour or so.

AZDesertRat

At 50 psi, 77 degree water temp and no more than 250 tap water TDS you should see 75 gallons in 24 hours, about 3.1 gallons per hour or 6 oz per minute.

If your pressure is higher or lower, your water temperature is higher or lower or yout TDS is higher or lower your results will vary.

Russ at www.buckeyefieldsupply.com has a cool calculator at the top of his webpage that you can play with to see how pressure and temperature change things. One word of caution though, DO NOT try blending or tempering hot and cold water to warm it up, that is the quickest way to fry a membrane there is. RO membranes cannot stand anything over 113 degrees or it melts the thin plastic film and glues they are made out of. Besides, colder water treats better and will give you lower RO TDS so your DI will last longer and work better.

The other thing that affects your GPD is the flow restrictor, make sure you are at 4:1 waste ratio, many vendors still use the old fixed flow restrictors and often they are not correct for your conditions, a capillary tube flow restrictor is much better and gives you the ability to fine tune the waste ratio to suit your exact water conditions.

chabooky386
just got my brs 5 stge plus kit yesterday and made about 4g in an hour and a half. great unit!!

what pressure is your gauge reading at?

its reading around 42 psi. I figured i would not get any more than 40 psi. Pressure coming into the house is 50psi and i have the unit under my kitchen sink one floor up from the water source and pressure regulator. seems to work fine though. i think they recommend any less than 35 psi you should be using the booster pump. hope that helps a little

devilsadvocate
In most parts of the US, you'll notice that you won't make water quite as fast during the winter months.

Ain't this the truth, I get like 5 gallons every 3-4 hours, and that's if the hose isn't frozen already.

AZDesertRat

40 psi is about the bare minimum a RO membrane will function at and the rejection rate will suffer. If you have a pressure regulator and can raise the pressure you will find the rejection rate will improve dramatically and DI resin will last 3-4x longer if you raise the pressure to 60-80 psi or higher. The cost cavings in DI resin replacements is amazing.

40 psi is about the bare minimum a RO membrane will function at and the rejection rate will suffer. If you have a pressure regulator and can raise the pressure you will find the rejection rate will improve dramatically and DI resin will last 3-4x longer if you raise the pressure to 60-80 psi or higher. The cost cavings in DI resin replacements is amazing.

My unit is only a couple days old but from what i understand if you maintain your sediment filter you should maximize the life of both your ro membrane and di resin. Ive put about 30g of water through my unit so far and have noticed the tds coming out of the ro membrane has been 0. The lower the tds out of the membrane the more life you will recieve out of your di resin... from my understanding.

...have noticed the tds coming out of the ro membrane has been 0.
Wow. That's unusual. :unsure: I guess I'd question your TDS meter. What's the TDS of your tap water?

The lower the tds out of the membrane the more life you will recieve out of your di resin... from my understanding.
Yes, this is very true. If the TDS coming into the resin is basically undetectable, it should last a very long time. :)

My pressure was between 40-45 psi so I added a booster pump and set it at 80. The whole unit functions much better.

IMG_0881.jpg

Wow. That's unusual. :unsure: I guess I'd question your TDS meter. What's the TDS of your tap water?

Yes, this is very true. If the TDS coming into the resin is basically undetectable, it should last a very long time. :)

My tap water tds is around 200 tested with a handheld unit. I thought it was a little unusual myself but the first time i had it running the tds was reading 7-10 coming out of the ro membrane. The brs instructions mentioned that to let the unit run for 10 min and test again as tds maybe higher when initially started due to somthing called tds creep. I had it running for 20 minutes and tested again and it was down to 0. I was surprised too but just figured it was due to the filters and membrane being brand new.

Archived