Pod Your Reef

SushiYum's NC24 AIO Thread

SushiYum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tits i do not have...

but i have a pic. its day 22 since I put water in.

what are these brown spots? some even have a small air bubble on it.

photo-11.jpg

I already have a cuc from reefcleaners in and 2 tiny clowns. protein skimmer running from start. along with biopellet reactor. been logging my water parameters about twice a week. just did a 5gal change two days ago.

i'm thinking about dumping the biopellet reactor. and going with purigen and a separate tlf reactor for phosban. it will prob make my life easier.

btw. i'm hating the 9002 skimmer. 1) i realized that it wasn't a needlewheel. didn't even know til i took it apart. and 2) I hate how you must adjust the height AND the air. i know there isn't much to skim right now. it just makes it even harder to adjust.

thinking about upgrading to a aquamaxx hob-1.

update complete. will have a fts later.

few minutes later......

What I'm working with.

photo2-14.jpg

Whats inside the cabinet.

photo1-5.jpg

FTS

photo2-13.jpg

Nice and clean looking set up!

What happened to the phallus in the front? I thought it looked good there.

Those bubbles are probably O2 from the new algae you got in there.

Nice and clean looking set up!

What happened to the phallus in the front? I thought it looked good there.

Those bubbles are probably O2 from the new algae you got in there.

yea...took that out at day 10-ish lol. couldn't stand looking at it anymore. i was thinking maybe i'll add another pillar later. when i need more coral room.

my nerite snails don't seem to be going for the algae they just chill up by the surface near my return and surface skimmer. dwarf ceriths just hide in the sand during the day and roam on the sand at night. i had some florida ceriths. but they were DOA. :(

E1E57274-BE36-46C9-BA77-D7EF92A477B6-448-00000066B61BAEDE.jpg

Went to lfs and bought 2 astrea snails for a little over $6 :(

But i am happy to say that they! Are eating the diatoms. Stoopid ceriths and nerites wouldnt even sample it. Im sure it is tasty. Those astreas are licking it clean

E1E57274-BE36-46C9-BA77-D7EF92A477B6-448-00000066B61BAEDE.jpg

Went to lfs and bought 2 astrea snails for a little over $6 :(

But i am happy to say that they! Are eating the diatoms. Stoopid ceriths and nerites wouldnt even sample it. Im sure it is tasty. Those astreas are licking it clean

Suggestion: check out http://www.reefcleaners.org and select CUC's from there that you may not have yet.

Note that diatoms come and go and that they are part of the normal cycling process and will be consumed or just disappear at your cycle completes. If you have gone through the cycle already and then are coming back, my question is are you using RO/DI water for preparing salt water for water changes?

FWIW

yea i got my cuc from that site. the florida ceriths didn't make it :(

the astreas are doing a great job cleaning the diatoms off the rocks. but i want to know if its normal to start getting small/tiny green patches on my rockwork now. some even have hair. i'm guessing..GHA :(

i tested only 2 days ago with nitrates around 1-2 and phosphates at 0 with my salifert test kit.

is this normal?

• 5 weeks later...

So i realized everytime i do a water change. i get a bloom of hair algae. stupid RO water from grocery store dispenser. my 1 turbo has been hard at work.

i'm now using the mightymite rodi by air water ice. and hopefully it'll make a big difference.

5gal water change tomorrow. along a light clean of equipment and back chambers.

i have bought several frags rececntly from members here on NR and are doing pretty good so far.

just wish i had the money to buy a large colony instead of waiting for it to grow out. :/

So far no more bloom of any algae with the new rodi unit.

i would like to get a few more different sps. torts millis setosas. etc.

maybe a hammer

and would like to expand my zoa collection and maybe a small ric garden.

i had a nerite snail die the other day. dunno wat happened. there was a big huddle of nass. snails.

IMG_1642.jpg

i let them eat for a bit then pulled out the snail shell. since i don't feed the tank much.

Frags look good Sushi. :)

The bird needs to be higher.

yea! it will be. when i find the time to go buy some gel superglue Thanks again. everything looks great :)

Looking good ... nice Candy Cane ... and more

thanks albert!

Great tank, & I like the open scape.

thanks. i like your tank toooooo!

• 2 weeks later...

view from the top of my RapidLED triple puck led fixture.

7FF94A40-F923-432D-85A8-528ED16A9CBE-10133-000007C775832668.jpg

ORA birdsnest from metrokat sitting on YankeePete's large frag rack.

2BEE3985-2B6E-409D-857D-6CDA8D53495A-10133-000007C76F1791B7.jpg

HEY! GET OFF THAT!

3404F5EE-6D29-4892-9EB9-4D67BA6C1F8C-10133-000007C767B734D6.jpg

FTS

1B122D22-A312-4371-902B-EFCF4654B016-10133-000007C77BEF37F8.jpg

That frag looks good. Your light is far more powerful than mine, so the corals will change color in your tank. Also if you find the branches of the bird growing downwards, looking like a weeping willow, then its trying to get away from the light.

good to know. Thanks. where I have the birdnest is pretty high up and its only getting like half the leds from my fixture shined on cause of my narrow led optics.

I understand, this is what it looks like under T5s and Panorama PRO LED's in my tank. The flesh is a deep orange, the polyps are electric green.

CIMG0739.JPG

In fact this bird is so hardy, the polyps stay extended even when I pull it out of water. :lol:

Maybe i should dose? Im only doing techM and tlfA&B calcium supplement.

What do i need? Strontium?

I can't advise on dosing till you list parameters. But you have a couple of corals only, there is honestly no need to dose till you have a full tank.

The coloration in this case is a lighting issue. Just lower the frag rack for several weeks to see if that makes a difference. It could also be your camera setting, making the coral look paler than it is IRL.

I know it is your first SPS and a very hardy one at that, so it is a really good way to test your tank. Again, don't dose, there is no need.

Sooo im getting brown patches on my sand and i dunno what it is. And its only specifically in 2 spots of the tank. Every water change (5gal a week) i i have siphon and i vacuum as much sand as possible until my bucket is full. ~80% of the sand is vacuumed each time. I also got some brown gunk growing on my powerheads. So im guessing flow isnt the issue here.

Im have carbon, puigen. And phosban running. Using rodi water. Feeding every other day.

Saifert test kits. Nitrate <1 , phosphates ~.02

Yesterday i noticed that my ceriths are all out durin the day now and climbing the glass. This is not normal for my tank. They usually are all hiddin under the sand during the day and only come out at night.

Any thoughts on any of these?

Archived