Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FOWLR vs REEF

newtonday1

so i was thinking a reef tank, but I am now considering FOWLR. My friend said he would hook me up with some free coral, but i realized the lights alone may cost me too much. So, my question is, how much is the least priced light that would be suitable for coral on a 10g tank?

thanks,

a friendly user

P.S. my hood now is

http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aquarium-B...s=aquarium+hood

but i think it won't work for reef, even though it has a 50watt space

That depends on the corals you will be wanting to keep. Usually, soft corals only can be cheap,75 and up, and a light for acros and such can be a cheap 150, or an expensive 400.

That depends on the corals you will be wanting to keep. Usually, soft corals only can be cheap,75 and up, and a light for acros and such can be a cheap 150, or an expensive 400.

yah i may be borderline because my light range is really <75 and would ilke it to be sub 50.

and yes they would be soft

yah i may be borderline because my light range is really <75 and would ilke it to be sub 50.

and yes they would be soft

Not gonna find anything that low, however try searching fishneedit t5's or a Nova Extreme t5ho.

I had the second one over my 10 gallon and it had great coloring and decent growth on Lps softies, and my birdsnest even was growing until it rtnd.

Not gonna find anything that low, however try searching fishneedit t5's or a Nova Extreme t5ho.

I had the second one over my 10 gallon and it had great coloring and decent growth on Lps softies, and my birdsnest even was growing until it rtnd.

i may consider it, but thanks for the info

a reef with softies and LPS with filter, lighting, ect., is going to be $300+ for everthing. not including coral or fish.

a 10g fowler is going to be insanely boring. you could go macro, but really there is little difference in cost for a macro or reef.

YOU ARE NOT going to find $50 light that ACTUALLY grows coral or looks nice.

a reef with softies and LPS with filter, lighting, ect., is going to be $300+ for everthing. not including coral or fish.

a 10g fowler is going to be insanely boring. you could go macro, but really there is little difference in cost for a macro or reef.

YOU ARE NOT going to find $50 light that ACTUALLY grows coral or looks nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Saltwater-Aq...m+Light+Fixture

i beg to differ

grow some macros with that

also it's $60, so i win :D

hmm, which is closer... 50 or 300+ ????

looks like I WIN : :owned:

btw im bet i cant get most soft corals to grow with this thing

I've kept a lot of LPS under two T5s in my 29g (18" tall, 24w bulbs). they had nice color and grew well. you could try some froggies and acan probably. just go slow.

what were you thinking for filtration?

do you know if that fixture has individual reflectors? if not it probably wont do you much good.

I've kept a lot of LPS under two T5s in my 29g (18" tall, 24w bulbs). they had nice color and grew well. you could try some froggies and acan probably. just go slow.

what were you thinking for filtration?

do you know if that fixture has individual reflectors? if not it probably wont do you much good.

what do you mean "individual reflectors"???

for filtration i was thinking live sand (about an inch and AquaClear Power Filter (20gallon and under)

behind the bulbs are a piece of polished aluminum, to reflect light back into the tank. does each bulb have one that arches around it?

behind the bulbs are a piece of polished aluminum, to reflect light back into the tank. does each bulb have one that arches around it?

idk because i haven't ordered the light figure yet. I would assume they would to maximize the light, if not i could try to make something

btw im bet i cant get most soft corals to grow with this thing

spoken like a true newb/ tween. Why would you specifically be able to get softies to grow under this light? Do you have magic electricity? You know, I'm willing to venture a guess on why they post the wattages and brag about their reflectors on every other fixture, but not this one.

idk because i haven't ordered the light figure yet. I would assume they would to maximize the light, if not i could try to make something

Don't order that one. You will regret it. Go for the individual reflectors. The 24" one will be enough power.

lol yes that fixture looks cheap

hey its worth a shot. worst comes to worst i may have to upgrade

Don't order that one. You will regret it. Go for the individual reflectors. The 24" one will be enough power.

wait so your saying the 18inch is too small but the 24 is better???

yes but you just blew $60 on a piece of junk

do yourself a favor and do everything right the first time

believe me the urge to upgrade will come, then you'll spend more $$$

the fixture i had was an aquaticlife 30" with 24" bulbs (there is no 30" bulb) it was $120 and had individual reflectors, also has a lot more room for the bulbs. so it runs kinda cool, though it has no fans.

yes but you just blew $60 on a piece of junk

do yourself a favor and do everything right the first time

believe me the urge to upgrade will come, then you'll spend more $$$

so paying an extra 25 for the 24 inch is better ???

Yes. The 24 inch reaches across the aquarium, has individual reflectors, an you will know the wattage you are working with. Yes, it overhangs a tiny bit, but it's better than it not being long enough.

Yes. The 24 inch reaches across the aquarium, has individual reflectors, an you will know the wattage you are working with. Yes, it overhangs a tiny bit, but it's better than it not being long enough.

thanks, i will consider

so paying an extra 25 for the 24 inch is better ???

Check out the first page of my thread in my sig. Those are the corals I grew with the 24 inch bulb over my standard 10. This 18" one doesn't even seem to come with legs. Although t5 bulbs run cool compared to halides, they still get too hot to just lay ontop of a glass just an inch above your water.

it's not the size

you need to get a good reliable fixture from a good manufacturerrere

For the money it. A great manufacturer. In general, it is still good. I just don't know what they were thinking when they marketed this one.

Archived