ReefCleaners.org

FOWLR vs REEF

newtonday1

you have a current?

i remember that i had a coralife, not a current USA, and they were crap. don't know bout current.

Check out the first page of my thread in my sig. Those are the corals I grew with the 24 inch bulb over my standard 10. This 18" one doesn't even seem to come with legs. Although t5 bulbs run cool compared to halides, they still get too hot to just lay ontop of a glass just an inch above your water.

seems pretty good, by the way how'd ur clown die???

Yes I had one. Quite frankly, I wish I never sold it. It would have web perfect to use as a 10 gallon fuge and frag tank. I needed the money though :/

seems pretty good, by the way how'd ur clown die???

The first one I think the salinty got too high for too long( I wasn't using a refractometer). That doesn't explain why the corals looked fine though. For three days she just sat on the sand, went crazy, then sat on the sand again. The second one was very small, and jthink I had too much current for it to handle. I just have bad luck with clowns.

Yes I had one. Quite frankly, I wish I never sold it. It would have web perfect to use as a 10 gallon fuge and frag tank. I needed the money though :/

The first one I think the salinty got too high for too long( I wasn't using a refractometer). That doesn't explain why the corals looked fine though. For three days she just sat on the sand, went crazy, then sat on the sand again. The second one was very small, and jthink I had too much current for it to handle. I just have bad luck with clowns.

I mean are hydrometers really that inaccurate. Ive heard their usually fine.

I mean are hydrometers really that inaccurate. Ive heard their usually fine.

Hit or miss IMO. If you keep them clean and don't allow salt or calcium build up, they always read the same. Allowing build up will cause the arms to lose that buoyancy it depends on.

My problem was my lfs told me my hydrometer was off, that when it was reading 1.036, it was really only 1.025. I believed them, and it turned out that THEIR refractometer hasn't been calibrated in a long, long time. The hydrometer was right the whole time. They wil always be true to themselves if taken care of, but not necessarily true as a reading... If that makes sense.

Hit or miss IMO. If you keep them clean and don't allow salt or calcium build up, they always read the same. Allowing build up will cause the arms to lose that buoyancy it depends on.

My problem was my lfs told me my hydrometer was off, that when it was reading 1.036, it was really only 1.025. I believed them, and it turned out that THEIR refractometer hasn't been calibrated in a long, long time. The hydrometer was right the whole time. They wil always be true to themselves if taken care of, but not necessarily true as a reading... If that makes sense.

I understand. hey so for my ten gallons do you think a clown and a goby with a small cleanup crew could work???

I understand. hey so for my ten gallons do you think a clown and a goby with a small cleanup crew could work???

A perc or an occy with a goby would be fine. Stay away from the bigger and more aggressive clownfish like Maroons.

Drunken Master

Honestly if cheap lighting is a concern then i wouldnt venture into reefkeeping. If you want to do saltwater that bad then stick with FOWLR. But if you really want to do a reef i suggest to wait and save your money until you can afford decent equipment and materials so you can do it right the first time around.

IMO reef tanks are the most rewarding aquarium you can own. My first experience with fish was a 55g freshwater tank with a baby arowana in it. I now have a little 14g. The amount of life in my reef tank is incredible, I am always finding little critters and new things in my tank. To me, having a piece of the ocean in my home is amazing and fun. I would save up until you can get into a reef tank, don't need to go crazy and if you do your research and are patient you can find a lot of ways to save money.

You can use 1 piece of live rock to culture/grow a bunch of "dead" rock. Also, with a small reef tank you can buy small coral frags that will grow over time. IMO ( and I hope I'm not about to get blasted for this) FOWLR is kind of pointless to do with saltwater, you can get pretty fish doing fresh and for a cheaper cost with less maintenance. If your gonna go salt go **ls deep in it and start reefin B)

Good Luck!

- Dave

Archived