Pod Your Reef

Fluval Spec Zoa Garden Build Thread

JoshuA c

I liked post 64 aquascape the most. Going bare bottom should make moving the tank around easier if you plan on moving it. I personally wouldn't run a nano with out a fuge. JMO.

Yeah, I'm leaning back to having a fuge. It shouldn't be hard. hard I don't like the barebottom look so I'm stubborn with that.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thesmallerthebetter

following along, these little fluvals are just too cool brings back memories of adapting my edge for a reef :)

my vote is for a thin, purely cosmetic layer of black sand that gets swapped out periodically.

fuge is a no brainer, either that or stick some mangroves in the rear chambers :)

taggin along

Yeah, I'm going with the fuge. My only hesitation was obtaining cheato. I will be at college without a car so I can't go out and buy some. I think I'll bring it from home and hope it lasts a day in a bag then add it a day into the set up of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here know how easy/hard it will be to transport the rock with all the zoas on it at the end of the school year? I'm afraid that it will be hard once they have grown on it. If I leave all of the frags on the gravel it will be easy to transport them. I'm still thinking everything out since I have plenty of time before I start the tank.

thesmallerthebetter

im my experience moving picos is a snap.

All i do is pick up a 5 gallon bucket from home depot, drain the tank minus the sandbed into the bucket and put the rock in as well. drive to new location, return rock to its original positions, refill with half old water half new mixed water and walla!

im my experience moving picos is a snap.

All i do is pick up a 5 gallon bucket from home depot, drain the tank minus the sandbed into the bucket and put the rock in as well. drive to new location, return rock to its original positions, refill with half old water half new mixed water and walla!

How far did you drive?

How far did you drive?

my ex drove like 300 miles with his 10 gallon with no losses. he had softies, lps, and a cuc. Maybe a fish, I can't remember at this point.

office space

What about a faux sand bed? Instead of bare bottom, do an epoxy and sand bottom... it looks like a traditional sand bed, but easier to transport.

I think.I'm going to stick with what I've got right now. I like the rock work and try to take some frags of each colony before I have to move the tank just in case.

I put everything into the tank to make sure there is room for everything, and it looks good, a bit cramped, but good. Also, I have enough outlets on the power strip for everything. I have chaeto for the tank, it's currently in another tank and i will take some for the pico when I set it up. I'm also sticking with the rockscape I have now (unless I find something better). There will be two frags in the rocks and three in the sand surrounding it. I'm hoping this allows for the most growth.

Hopefully, when I'm done, if everything goes well and I have good growth, I can sell frags to partially repay for the whole setup (keeping some of each for myself, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stocking the other tank in my signature right now and I'm getting some zoas already, and one may be an utter chaos (I lost the previous utter chaos two summers ago due to heat). These one's are a bit less vibrantly colored, but the prestige of them is always cool (got them for $7 on a hunch). Maybe if my new zoas grow out enough before I set up the college pico tank, I can add them first as testers.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

No updates on the tank except that it should be up in January when I get back from Christmas break.

I'm posting actually to make a plea to anybody reading this for zoanthids near UCI. If you can sell me any PM or just post here.

Thanks

I just starting cycling the same tank and am following along. My build is pretty different from yours (media rack, minijet 606 as return pump replacement, BoostLED Par30 light), so it will be interesting how they compare functionally. Also looking for zoanthid/paly heavy but mixed with a smattering of LPS/SPS.

Good luck!

I just starting cycling the same tank and am following along. My build is pretty different from yours (media rack, minijet 606 as return pump replacement, BoostLED Par30 light), so it will be interesting how they compare functionally. Also looking for zoanthid/paly heavy but mixed with a smattering of LPS/SPS.

Good luck!

I'm following yours, also. Hopefully we both end up with a good looking tank! Good luck to you, too.

I'm following yours, also. Hopefully we both end up with a good looking tank! Good luck to you, too.

I imagine we will...sorry if I gave the impression that one would be good and one bad. More than one way to skin a cat!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Josh, I have a fluval spec 2 as well, and I actually just ordered that pump on saturday, so if you want to wait until I get it (should be here thursday) I can tell you if it will fit. Although based on the measurements online, I believe it will fit.

I figured it would work something like the minijet 606, which fits with some modifications as well. Im okay with it being ugly and deformed since it will be hidden anyway.

Hey if you havnt moved yet with the zoas here are my suggestions. Empty out the tank(you can save the water if you want OR you can not its really up to you) and cover the rocks+ zoas with wet paper towels. They should be fine like that for 10+ hours, if you feel that the paper towels are drying out just add a little bit of water to moisten them up again :)

If you're gonna do this in buckets: 1 five gallon bucket for your rocks 1 five gallon bucket for your corals. If a lot of them are on plugs you can make little frag racks out of egg crate with dividers in the middle and stack a ton of corals like that.

Hey if you havnt moved yet with the zoas here are my suggestions. Empty out the tank(you can save the water if you want OR you can not its really up to you) and cover the rocks+ zoas with wet paper towels. They should be fine like that for 10+ hours, if you feel that the paper towels are drying out just add a little bit of water to moisten them up again :)

If you're gonna do this in buckets: 1 five gallon bucket for your rocks 1 five gallon bucket for your corals. If a lot of them are on plugs you can make little frag racks out of egg crate with dividers in the middle and stack a ton of corals like that.

The tanks not even up yet, but it will be in about 2 weeks. Thats a good idea, though. My rock is really small, so I may be able to put it in one tupperware container when I move it with tank water. We'll see...

The tanks not even up yet, but it will be in about 2 weeks. Thats a good idea, though. My rock is really small, so I may be able to put it in one tupperware container when I move it with tank water. We'll see...

Yeah that would actually work better I thought you had rocks that were a bit larger but apparently not x)

No, it's a really small tank with an even smaller rockscape.

I plan to just put one medium sized rock in my aqua scape. No sand just some rubble to start off the zoa colonies and that's it.

Archived