inTank Media Baskets

allan's innovative marine nuvo 16

aIIan

Woke up to some brown algae growing in the sand and got home to a bunch of algae on the sand & rocks.

I hope that means it's time for the CUC 'cause I just ordered a bog batch from Reef Cleaners.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woke up to some brown algae growing in the sand and got home to a bunch of algae on the sand & rocks.

I hope that means it's time for the CUC 'cause I just ordered a bog batch from Reef Cleaners.

Following along, great looking tank!

Picked up a tiny Ocellaris Clownfish last night. He seems to be doing fine.

Still doing my research on coral. Not sure where to start. I'd like to get something with some movement to it to liven up the tank bit. Maybe Frogspawn or something similar.

Looks great! You helped inspire me to buy this tank :) Love the rockscape and I will definitely be following!

Thanks. I definitely love this tank, it's a true AIO.

I bought a CADLights 8g tank around the same time and it has given me nothing but problems since - I still can't get the damn thing to run right.

Got my CUC in today from John @ ReefCleaners. Had a few DOA but that was to be expected.

I wasn't thrilled with the flow through the filters so I got rid of the stock pump and Y fittings. I added two MJ900s and each pump feeds their own IM SpinStream. The water is boogieing now. Should I turn one of the pumps off at night to give the fish some rest?

The algae disappeared pretty quick once I dropped the CUC in.

Still figuring out which direction to go with the coral.

I think my next purchase will be a Yasha Goby & Red Banded Snapping shrimp. I found a Yasha at the LFS today but didn't see any shrimp. Is it recommended to add them at the same time or will they eventually find each other and live happily ever after?

Also, I'd like to pick up a cleaner shrimp at some point. Will it get along with the pistol shrimp?

Angel<3Nanos

I think a pistol would get along with the cleaner, or at least I haven't heard of a conflict between them.

Just check your nitrates because shrimp doesn't not tolerate high levels.

Btw nice tank! Looking forward for some coral.

I suggest to start with some zoas and move on :)

temet vince

Love your tank! Do you think the default powerhead setup is okay? I really don't want to do any changing to the default equipment atm but it seems like you definitely have more flow after working on yours.

Thanks. I definitely love this tank, it's a true AIO.

I bought a CADLights 8g tank around the same time and it has given me nothing but problems since - I still can't get the damn thing to run right.

Got my CUC in today from John @ ReefCleaners. Had a few DOA but that was to be expected.

what problems were u having with your 8gallon i just set up a aqueon and seeded it with live rock and zoas palys musjrooms from my 120 ive seen nothing to be concerned with yet just wonderin what you ran into

eddiecorrea

I love my Cadlights 8g. It is a challenging tank but I have been doing this for a long time.

3975689[/url]']

what problems were u having with your 8gallon i just set up a aqueon and seeded it with live rock and zoas palys musjrooms from my 120 ive seen nothing to be concerned with yet just wonderin what you ran into

Mostly replacing the cheap (4g) pump they shipped it with and the fact that there's no seal on their removable false wall. More water flows through the side wall and underneath the wall than through the grates.

I've got an MJ6oo back there and the water barely trickles in to the second chamber.

3975678[/url]']

Love your tank! Do you think the default powerhead setup is okay? I really don't want to do any changing to the default equipment atm but it seems like you definitely have more flow after working on yours.

I'm sure it's more than sufficient. I just like flowy tanks. One of my pumps are turned off at night to give my little clown some rest.

Today I picked up a Blood Red Fire Shrimp and my first $10 frag. Some sort of Zoas - Any idea which variety?

080412.1.jpg

080412.3.jpg

Also, the shrimp hasn't left that little island rock all day. How long till he discovers the bigger rock formation two inches away?

I like the setup of these tanks, but the LED fixture appears to be weak and would limit what you can have as far as corals... I may be wrong though..

So, what are the consequences for dropping a fish in too soon?

My 6 yr. old son came home from the beach last night with what appears to be a Sargassum Fish - I never should have shown him the wonderful mini world of a Sargassum clump.

After a couple of "NO WAYS" I finally broke down, put him in and to my surprise it survived the night and even found himself a nice little nook in the dry rock to hang out in.

That fish needs a bigger tank and hopefully you return the fish to the ocean or to a LFS

I don't know anything about lighting but they seem pretty bright. If not I can always buy an extra Skkye light.

The sargassum fish is long gone - I took it about 25 miles out and released it into the biggest weed line we could find.

I wasn't thrilled with the flow through the filters so I got rid of the stock pump and Y fittings. I added two MJ900s and each pump feeds their own IM SpinStream. The water is boogieing now. Should I turn one of the pumps off at night to give the fish some rest?

The algae disappeared pretty quick once I dropped the CUC in.

Still figuring out which direction to go with the coral.

I think my next purchase will be a Yasha Goby & Red Banded Snapping shrimp. I found a Yasha at the LFS today but didn't see any shrimp. Is it recommended to add them at the same time or will they eventually find each other and live happily ever after?

Also, I'd like to pick up a cleaner shrimp at some point. Will it get along with the pistol shrimp?

Tank is looking good. Really like the look of the IM16. I have the Mini38 and need to start a thread.

Is your tank running hot? With two MJ900's pumping I have got to think they are putting out some heat. I replaced my stock pump in my 38 w/ a mj900 wich is almost double the output from the stock. I have the spin streams as well and a MP10 and it's perfect. You might want to go back to just one mj900 if you see your temps rising. Just a thought...

As far as I know there haven't been any issues with heat. I'm only around at night so I have no idea what the temps are during the day. My AC is set to 72 during the day and 68 at night so that probably helps keep the temperature down.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a controller to keep an eye on things but I'm not sure of its worth the price.

Got some new frags today courtesy of REEFKOI CORALS - easy transaction, nice selection, good comm, packaged very well, fast shipping, etc.

Ordered seven frags, got eight. Hard to complain about that but one of them appear to be DOA. I'm not even sure what it is or was.

Got some Aussie Duncans, Green Star Polyps, Pulsing Xenia, Goniopora and assorted (if you can ID them please do) Polyps and Zoas.

IM080912.jpg

IM080912.2.jpg

I like the setup of these tanks, but the LED fixture appears to be weak and would limit what you can have as far as corals... I may be wrong though..

No, you're correct. I thought everything was peachy until I added a Kessil to the stock lighting and now things are coloring up and not reaching so much. Great frags by the way! It will be interesting to see how all these Nuvo tanks develop since we all have seemed to start them at the same time.

You can lay the heater down long way where the pump is so you are not wasting the chamber on a heater.

We have added a 3rd IM light just like what comes with these and it seems to solve the lighting issue. Most of these we have set up we run 16-20 or more pounds of LR in the main display and the only thing we add in the back other than the stock filters is Chemi-pure Elite. We have probably set us 10 or so this way and unless you overstock them they run great.

I do agree that most of the pumps on the IM tanks are underpowered.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay please show more pics i am definitely interested on following the development of this thread. I bought my first SW which is a Biocube14. Luckily its used only paid $100, since i didn't think i would get the itch for this hobby, now im def hooked. Since then Ive been looking into this Nuvo 16, i am looking for the ideal AIO tank and I think this is the best of all. Aesthetically and Effectiveness of the built in sump. Unlike the Bio14 the DT is only 10g the Nuvo is 12g. But I prefer a wider landscape than a square. Congratulations to you guys that purchased these tanks. I think its best in the market as far as AIO goes. I am not an expert but you can tell this product is made with quality. I guess except for the low end pumps. Now I am just deciding between a 16g or mini 30. idky, please post some more pics of your tanks as it develops. Your tank is looking good so far. BTW, if you put a chaeto where will you get the light source for it? Is there a mod to tap from the main light?

Archived