Coral Vue Hydros

ID this red iridescent macro algae

TJ_Burton

Wondering if anyone has any info on this macro algae. This is my first experience with it - popped up all on its own and grows rapidly. Thankfully its more on the ornamental side ;)

post-7376-1341586377_thumb.jpg

albertthiel
Wondering if anyone has any info on this macro algae. This is my first experience with it - popped up all on its own and grows rapidly. Thankfully its more on the ornamental side ;)

Can you post a real close up of those red algae ... from the pic it is hard to determine which one it could be

Can you post a real close up of those red algae ... from the pic it is hard to determine which one it could be

Well,

Hopefully this is enough cause I can't get any closer with my iPhone ;)

post-7376-1341590141_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1341590147_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1341590153_thumb.jpg

albertthiel
Well,

Looks like Galaxaura acuminata or G. rugosa to me ... are the branches of it somewhat flattened and say from 1 to may 2 or 3 mm wide ?

Is it in a shaded area as that is where this algae grows best ...

It is usually pink to red and can grow to about 15 or so cm in length ...

Does that sort of fit the algae ?

Albert

Looks like Galaxaura acuminata or G. rugosa to me ... are the branches of it somewhat flattened and say from 1 to may 2 or 3 mm wide ?

Is it in a shaded area as that is where this algae grows best ...

It is usually pink to red and can grow to about 15 or so cm in length ...

Does that sort of fit the algae ?

Albert

It is currently under a Radion, not shaded, and grows like crazy while producing an iridescent/metllic coloration. The branches are tubular (oblong not perfectly circular) and segmented, and have a jelly-like feel to them. I took a look at G. acuminata & rugosa, but I don't believe it is either. I could be wrong, but they are not a close enough match for me to be able to confirm them.

albertthiel
It is currently under a Radion, not shaded, and grows like crazy while producing an iridescent/metllic coloration. The branches are tubular (oblong not perfectly circular) and segmented, and have a jelly-like feel to them. I took a look at G. acuminata & rugosa, but I don't believe it is either. I could be wrong, but they are not a close enough match for me to be able to confirm them.

Thanks I'll have a look in one of my other reference books when I get back to the house

Albert

albertthiel
Looks like nemastoma to me

Could be ReHype but not sure, I am waiting get back home and will check in some of my ref bus

albertthiel
Well,

Did you look up Nemastoma and what I posted and does that seem to be what that red algae is ? Please let us know.

Thanks ........... Albert

albertthiel
Appears to be a Laurencia sp.

Could be Laurencia succisa as that one is iridescent and can be red or even green ...

I have however not seen any comments back from the original poster

Albert

Neither Laurencia and Nemastoma seem to fit.

I wish I could just send you guys some to look at in person, but I am in Canada and that likely won't fly.

Also, the piece in the close up shot is no larger than a fingernail in size.

albertthiel

I wish I could just send you guys some to look at in person, but I am in Canada and that likely won't fly.

How does it feel to the touch ... is it calcified or does it feel slippery, or what impression do you get when you rub over one of the branches ... I have now looked in several reference books and although some come close I have not found an exact match yet so I am wondering if it is some time of semi-calcareous type algae in the Rhodophyta group.

Please let me know. Thanks

Albert

How does it feel to the touch ... is it calcified or does it feel slippery, or what impression do you get when you rub over one of the branches ... I have now looked in several reference books and although some come close I have not found an exact match yet so I am wondering if it is some time of semi-calcareous type algae in the Rhodophyta group.

Please let me know. Thanks

Albert

Certainly not a calcareous algae. It is smooth/slimey and has a gelly/rubbery texture similar to that of various caulerpa species. It has some elasticity to it as well when tearing off a piece.

This algae resembles Champia parvula in form from my book "Marine Plants of the Caribbean" however it is described in it as being yellowish to pale pink.

albertthiel
Certainly not a calcareous algae. It is smooth/slimey and has a gelly/rubbery texture similar to that of various caulerpa species. It has some elasticity to it as well when tearing off a piece.

TJ look at what was posted and see if that matches what you have.

Also I posted 4 pics of the algae you have on my thread (see sig) and hopefully someone there will come up with an ID as so far we have not been able to find an ID that matches what you say you have.

Is this cluster of algae growing ?

Albert

albertthiel

Did you see the post on my thread where the algae ID is suggested as Laurencia ... several pictures of it where posted but by now it many be visible only a few pages back from the last page

Albert

albertthiel
If I had to pin it to one, I'd say Chondria sp. is the closest.

We suggested some species of Laurencia ... is not not that one ?

Hard to see from the pictures but Laurencia succisa, as posted in a previous message is iridescent, and reddish/red

Albert

We suggested some species of Laurencia ... is not not that one ?

Hard to see from the pictures but Laurencia succisa, as posted in a previous message is iridescent, and reddish/red

Albert

I can't find any photos of it that match 100% when I google search. I will try to get a better photo of it in tank to post up.

Best I can do with my iPhone. You may notice a different species of algae in the back, but it is not the same, just grows close by.

RedMacroIntank.jpg

From the closeup, it actually doesn't look like a chondria species. Chondria is less gelatinous and more flattened. The color matches but the growth pattern doesn't. I'm stumped

Archived