Pod Your Reef

ID this red iridescent macro algae

TJ_Burton

albertthiel
Best I can do with my iPhone. You may notice a different species of algae in the back, but it is not the same, just grows close by.

RedMacroIntank.jpg

Try a search for Laurencia obtusa as that is the closest that my reference books show pictures of to what you posted.

If it is not that one, let me know ... this is getting a really hard one to ID :-) but eventually I am sure we'll figure it out

Albert

Try a search for Laurencia obtusa as that is the closest that my reference books show pictures of to what you posted.

If it is not that one, let me know ... this is getting a really hard one to ID :-) but eventually I am sure we'll figure it out

Albert

I'd have to say no.

This algae does not have main stem that it buds from. It attaches to the rock at multiple points, and does not seem to have a main stem or visible rooting structure. It is reminds me more of caulerpa, but without the runners/roots. It's also very compact, it grows densely as well.

albertthiel
I'd have to say no.

This algae does not have main stem that it buds from. It attaches to the rock at multiple points, and does not seem to have a main stem or visible rooting structure. It is reminds me more of caulerpa, but without the runners/roots. It's also very compact, it grows densely as well.

Well I guess it is going to be really tough figuring this out from the picture TJ.

I will do some more searches but I fear that from the pic it is going to be near impossible to figure it out.

I'll try, and am going to post it to my thread to see if anyone there can identify it this go around as it was posted before.

Albert

Well I guess it is going to be really tough figuring this out from the picture TJ.

I will do some more searches but I fear that from the pic it is going to be near impossible to figure it out.

I'll try, and am going to post it to my thread to see if anyone there can identify it this go around as it was posted before.

Albert

What else do you need to see via photo in order to ID this macro?

albertthiel
What else do you need to see via photo in order to ID this macro?

I guess more close up pictures would help, and maybe some taken from a little further away ..

Albert

I guess more close up pictures would help, and maybe some taken from a little further away ..

Albert

I'll make sure I have my good camera with me at some point this week and take some better photos for you.

albertthiel
I'll make sure I have my good camera with me at some point this week and take some better photos for you.

Thanks TJ

Albert

Archived