Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tropical Lagoon aquarium

loyalhero90

loyalhero90

Hello,

I know lagoon aquariums are pretty dominated by sand but I don't know how much live rock to use. The tank is 24x10x10. How much rock should I use in comparison to sand? Is there a specific type of live rock to use or should it be just rubble?

timothymarsh

It comes down to what looks good to you, after all you're the one that has to look at it every day. Start off with some larger base rock and then mix in some smaller accent pieces if needed. The type of rock doesn't matter too much in the functionality, just make sure you take the time to plan it out for what coral you will be keeping.

• 5 months later...

Hey Loyal I know this is kinda old but like you said lagoons are mainly sand so finding a pleasing aquascape is hard. What I would do is Google search lagoon pics until you find one that you wanna mimic. For instance there's this one pic of a lagoon in the Red Sea and the only feature in the pic is this one giant rock with all kinds of life surrounding it. Just my thoughts on it.

• 2 months later...

Hey Loyal I know this is kinda old but like you said lagoons are mainly sand so finding a pleasing aquascape is hard. What I would do is Google search lagoon pics until you find one that you wanna mimic. For instance there's this one pic of a lagoon in the Red Sea and the only feature in the pic is this one giant rock with all kinds of life surrounding it. Just my thoughts on it.

Good suggestion. Thanks!

I found some pics that were helpful. I mostly used tonga branch (dry) since they were more elongated instead of thick. They allowed enough surface area to allow things to stick but not too much too lose the lagoon feel.

I always liked the shallow tanks with some rock protruding from the water. Check out Konolua's tank.

Oh I saw this tank a couple of times. It is really awesome! I wish I had a tank big enough to make a small fountain lol. Thanks for the link the corals in the tank offer some inspiration as to what I should put. They seemed to be mostly softies and a couple of LPS. I have now put seagrass in my tank along with some mangroves closer to the edges so I think that can make it look more lagoonal. I have enough lighting for a crocea clam so they could be an option also...

Good inspiration. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Loyal Hero,

I will show you my 55G lagoon. I suggest a substrat 1" deep composed of 2mm-5mm grain size. Florida Crushed Coral by Caribsea has worked well for me. I fast cycled the tank with no rock. Substrate was seeded with mature sand from other tanks. Thirty Mollies were purchased at Petsmart at $1.19 each. I initiated a robust vertical look current that uses inertia of mass to sustain itself with economy of energy. This is what macro farmers call tumble culture. Gracilaria Parvispora was brought in from mono culture vat tanks with robust populations of Tigger Pods. I fed the pods and the mollies heavily. These fresh water fish did not recognize the pods as a food source. With heavy pod populations already well in trenches, I then added 20 Cardinals. These tanks have an east window with indirect sunlight all day. I just today added a 70W LED stick with many different collars. Two T5 actinic bulbs complete the lighting on this tank.

Patrick

post-77197-0-49301100-1362277528_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived