Coral Vue Hydros

20 Gallon High

Tunjee

Did you DIY that external overflow?

Looks like you have that tank off to a good start equipment wise. What model is that skimmer?

BTW that skimmer looks so tight under there. How hard is it to get the cup and skimmer out for cleaning and other stuff?

Originally posted by ninhsavestheday

GREAT START! i like the stand

Thanks! The stand is made for a 29g but as you can see I needed the extra space. Purchased it from the lfs. I reinforced it with extra bracing in front, back and corners. Painted interior with indoor/outdoor mildew resistant paint. Covered paint and metal junction boxes with 3 coats of polycrylic clear finish for a protective shell. Oh and siliconed all interior joints and rough sanded before any painting. I wanted the interior to survive a washdown without saturation.

Originally posted by reefan

Did you DIY that external overflow?

Looks like you have that tank off to a good start equipment wise. What model is that skimmer?

Ya I DIY'd the external overflow. I didnt want the intrusion of a skimmer box or 90 degree elbow. If I were to do it again I would cut one long notch out of the glass and silicone a piece of acrylic to the back wall with teeth routed out in it. I think that's a stronger and less chance to crack method compared to dremeling out teeth from glass like I did. I do however have a 1/8" acrylic sheet siliconed inside the back wall mainly for looks but if the backwall ever does decide to go it will buy me some time in between tank change over.

If your interested in the DIY of the glass external overflow box check it out here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1

Skimmer is a Euro-Reef ES5-2

Originally posted by reefan

BTW that skimmer looks so tight under there. How hard is it to get the cup and skimmer out for cleaning and other stuff?

I had to cut a square out of the top of the stand to fit the skimmer in the sump. It barely fits but Euro-Reef has a true union zero clearance removal cup so it's no problem at all.

Originally posted by The Unit

love the Love the lamp next to the couch!!!! on and nice start

Hehe thx. I had to drink it before I turned it into a lamp. X>X. One crazy new years.

Originally posted by serjuanca88

Equipment?  

Where did you get your live rock?

-The pump is an external Velocity T-1 540gph. It's so quiet you cant tell it's running.

-Skimmer is a Euro-Reef ES5-2.

-Sqwd wavemaker.

-Sqwd returns.

-Won Pro Heat II titanium heater w/LCD temp display. Works as a grounding probe as well.

-DIY sump Home Depot acrylic, weld-on 4 assembled, flame polished edges, 3 baffle bubble trap, removeable DIY media chamber.

-DIY electrical system.

-DIY lighting.

Live rock is pre-cured aquacultured dredged in bahamas and seeded in Florida from www.gulf-view.com . 30lbs LR and 10lbs of LS. Shipped to my door overnight. Half coraline half deco rock all covered in coraline. There are clams, a sea squirt, a few snails, a hermit, some macro algae, sponges, anemones, a crab and other new animals I discover on a daily basis.

Originally posted by joekr

looks awesome!!  Where did you get the lights from????

I constructed the light from some aluminium sheet and channel from Lowes. With some bending, drilling and rivets it was really pretty easy.

175watt 20k XM

Icecap Electronic ballast

55w 10k PC

55w true actinic

Workhorse Electronic ballast

CSL Moonlight

Cooling fan from a CPU.

3 timers.

Polished aluminum mirror reflector.

Slide out glass.

Few coats of wood stove high temp paint.

3/4" EMT conduit bent into a 90 with a 3 inch kick for light support.

Raises up and down, swings out, fully adjustable, simple thumbscrew for heigth position.

Originally posted by Chris687

Looking great, I love the light....

Thanks, I'm happy with the design. I can slide the entire light up and out and just lay it there on the ground upside down for easy maintance/glass cleaning/bulb changing. It's also convienient that it can swing completely out of the way for tank maintance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that your lighting fixture is bad ass, Please post some more pics of the lighting fixture and where you got the parts for the adjustable neck.

Your tank and equipment suck. To save you any future embarrassment I'm willing to come to your home and take the whole thing of your hands... at no charge :)

• 1 month later...

Archived