SaltCritters.com

First Reef tank Progress and Help thread

ny300z

If they are dead, get them out now.

yea i removed them right after i posted that.

all seems ok today. My fire shrimp molted overnight. Leave it in?

original zoas opened up. last cerith snail is alive.

i will go to the LFS and get 2 astrea snails and 1 cerith so i have 2 of each.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take the molt out. Also, I wouldn't add any livestock after a sudden loss like you experienced. Give your tank some time to stabilize and filter out whatever might have caused or resulted from the deaths. Some fresh activated carbon might also be good.

Deleted User 3
wow thats a lot of hitchhikers! thats awesome! :)

you guys have any good online sites to get supplies for cheap?

or is it easier just to get the stuff local sometimes and pay a little more?

i noticed walmart has activated carbon but like seabass said maybe i should opt to buy one of those "good brands" from elsewhere

I usually buy from either petco, or Drsfostersmith.com. Ususally the latter is cheaper. and I wait until i have enough to get free shipping. My LFS doubles their prices which usually are more expensive than petco with shipping.. so :)

I usually buy from either petco, or Drsfostersmith.com. Ususally the latter is cheaper. and I wait until i have enough to get free shipping. My LFS doubles their prices which usually are more expensive than petco with shipping.. so :)

yes thank you i actually ordered a few things from drsfostersmith the other day.

and i removed the molt like you said, thanks

UPDATE

So after losing 4 of my snails i replaced them

got 2 new astrea snails and 2 new cerith snails since i only had 1 cerith left.

The next morning i found the older cerith being eaten by a hermit crab like his counterpart was found a few days earlier.

Killer hermits? are they not getting enough food? i put in bigger shells for them and they havent touched them.

Everything else seems to be good.

Here are some new pics.

I got a few pieces of coral from a local reefer. I got some polyps? on top in the pics (which are not too good looking so i may remove those soon)....and piece of his devils finger leather which is just laying around until i can secure it to a rock.

Had some other bluish broccoli looking pieces but the shrimp was eating it so i removed most of it.

Also had a piece of a blue mushroom but removed it because i couldnt attach it good and i didnt really want something that would take over the rocks really fast like mushrooms.

imgp2611u.jpg

imgp2612f.jpg

imgp2609u.jpg

imgp2624z.jpg

imgp2627x.jpg

imgp2647ak.jpg

imgp2639y.jpg

imgp2670.jpg

imgp2617.jpg

imgp2619.jpg

imgp2620i.jpg

imgp2678a.jpg

just posting some pics to thread....

but ill take an I.D on the yellowish polyps if anyone knows...i got the piece from a local reefer last week

I only have 2 pieces of coral at the moment but I am trying to go slow and not go crazy. But i will be picking up 2 zoa frags from another local reefer tonight :) And he will be taking my fire shrimp!

imgp2685y.jpg

imgp2687cu.jpg

imgp2689vb.jpg

imgp2691.jpg

imgp2693e.jpg

imgp2695.jpg

imgp2699h.jpg

imgp2701y.jpg

imgp2704a.jpg

imgp2706h.jpg

imgp2708z.jpg

imgp2710.jpg

imgp2713d.jpg

imgp2717r.jpg

imgp2724k.jpg

imgp2731.jpg

imgp2739.jpg

imgp2745.jpg

imgp2760p.jpg

but ill take an I.D on the yellowish polyps if anyone knows...i got the piece from a local reefer last week
Probably a Button Polyp (Protopalythoa sp.). That might be it's color; however, it may color up depending on the lighting they have been kept under.
Probably a Button Polyp (Protopalythoa sp.). That might be it's color; however, it may color up depending on the lighting they have been kept under.

cool thanks!

albertthiel
just posting some pics to thread....

I only have 2 pieces of coral at the moment but I am trying to go slow and not go crazy. But i will be picking up 2 zoa frags from another local reefer tonight :) And he will be taking my fire shrimp!

Probably a yellow Button or Trumpet polyp ... but exact ID not sure ... Parazoanthid maybe but not positive

If you get a real close up pic maybe we can come up with a better ID ny300z

UPDATE- 7/30/12

Tank is 1 1/2 months old.

Everything is doing well.

All parameters been good.

Some Changes made

1. Removed that button polyp...I felt like it was gonna take over. Besides it didnt look good. No need to clutter a tiny pico with blah stuff right?

2. Finally got rid of the fire shrimp. Traded him off to a local reefer for some zoa frags :)

3. Added 4 zoa frags and 1 small acan frag. 1 of the frags had 3 different zoas on it.

4. Removed small piece of live rock in back right. I was beginning to run out of room to move things and what not.

I forgot all the names of the zoas I got. I got them all from the reefer i traded the shrimp to. I will ask him and update this post when I find out.

def have eye of jahs, watermelon ones, solars and maybe magicians or captain americas not sure.

I still need to get rid of the clownfish and no one has been interested. 1 more week and i will give him to the LFS. HOWEVER, i did just buy a light for the 20L i picked up from petco during that sale :) Just trying to figure out filtration ideas for it.

SOME PICS.

Hitchhiker i just found....Asterina starfish? Recommend removing?

imgp2893s.jpg

imgp2766mt.jpg

The reddish looking zoas (solars?) in the front of this pic came loose overnight and drifted away into the rock crevices. Tried getting them but its a pain in the a$$ to do anything in this tank.

imgp2772a.jpg

imgp2804s.jpg

imgp2812.jpg

imgp2816.jpg

imgp2818q.jpg

imgp2822.jpg

That is a piece of devils finger leather I got a few weeks ago from someone. It keeps coming out of everywhere i wedge it into. I need to crazy glue it down asap cause im sure floating around is not good.

imgp2825t.jpg

imgp2828.jpg

imgp2829v.jpg

imgp2865o.jpg

imgp2867l.jpg

imgp2869.jpg

imgp2875.jpg

imgp2883o.jpg

-

albertthiel
UPDATE- 7/30/12

Tank is 1 1/2 months old.

I still need to get rid of the clownfish and no one has been interested. 1 more week and i will give him to the LFS. HOWEVER, i did just buy a light for the 20L i picked up from petco during that sale :) Just trying to figure out filtration ideas for it.

SOME PICS.

Can you post a close up of the star ... as from the pic I cannot ID it for sure ..

Thanks

Albert

albertthiel
it was hard to take pics but here are some more shots

Yes that is definitely one. They can multiply rapidly and become pests so to be on the safe side IMO I would sy remove it, but my guess is that there are more than just one.

ny300z can you post these pics to my thread as well ... thanks.

Albert

Yes that is definitely one. They can multiply rapidly and become pests so to be on the safe side IMO I would sy remove it, but my guess is that there are more than just one.

ny300z can you post these pics to my thread as well ... thanks.

Albert

yea i read that they can multiply too quickly sometimes so I will remove it tonight. thanks

and yes i will post the pics.

So I saw a few corals at the LFS and would like opinions.

How would a candy cane coral be for my setup? From what i read they are easy to care for and are ok with low light.

Also was looking at another acan and a duncan. How are those?

I also liked torches but i worry my tank is too small for that since they can sting others right?

albertthiel
So I saw a few corals at the LFS and would like opinions.

How would a candy cane coral be for my setup? From what i read they are easy to care for and are ok with low light.

Also was looking at another acan and a duncan. How are those?

I also liked torches but i worry my tank is too small for that since they can sting others right?

Yes Caulastrea is hardy and easy to keep and adapts easily to tank conditions ... great looking too IMO

Ever seen this :

eating.png

Yes Caulastrea is hardy and easy to keep and adapts easily to tank conditions ... great looking too IMO

Ever seen this :

eating.png

WOW eating a fish????? thats crazy, no i never seen that!

maybe i will wait to my small clown is gone lol

speaking of my lil clown...he might be getting pissed at me.

i was trying to add those corals and rearrange stuff the other day and he bit me probably 40 times haha. little bastad. I dont know what his problem is.

albertthiel

i was trying to add those corals and rearrange stuff the other day and he bit me probably 40 times haha. little bastad. I dont know what his problem is.

Guess he is trying to tell you "don't mess around in MY tank, you know how territorial they can be !

Albert

Yes but that's a brain coral not Caulastrea as I am sure you realized ... :+)

Albert

lol yuppp! and NO i didnt notice that was a brain coral, noobish on my part haha

also like i said earlier i removed a small rock in the back right. I may also need to remove the small rock in the front left just to make some sandbed room for the candy cane i want.

this is ok right? removing a little rock wont mess with anything right? the 2 big pieces will be all thats left

albertthiel
lol yuppp! and NO i didnt notice that was a brain coral, noobish on my part haha

also like i said earlier i removed a small rock in the back right. I may also need to remove the small rock in the front left just to make some sandbed room for the candy cane i want.

this is ok right? removing a little rock wont mess with anything right? the 2 big pieces will be all thats left

As long as you do not get any ammonia build up and nitrite after that removing rock should be Ok. IME more bacteria will grow in other areas to cope with the biological filtration, although that may take a while, so monitoring your water quality is IMO recommended

As long as you do not get any ammonia build up and nitrite after that removing rock should be Ok. IME more bacteria will grow in other areas to cope with the biological filtration, although that may take a while, so monitoring your water quality is IMO recommended

great, thank you!

So i am getting a little algae buildup on one part of the tank. purplish or pinkish looking

This normal? ok? bad? coralline algae?

Should i clean it off?

i am down 1 snail and just haven't replaced him yet.

all water parameters are good.

pics

imgp2915z.jpg

imgp2917k.jpg

imgp2918g.jpg

imgp2919.jpg

Also getting a little brown algae on the back wall....Just brush this off when i do a water change?

imgp2925l.jpg

imgp2926.jpg

Archived