Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Reef tank Progress and Help thread

ny300z

cant believe how hard it is to be patient and let the tank cycle!

im so eager to add a CUC and corals! and even though the LFS told me a week i will let it go about 2. im on day 8! :D

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
yea I had an out break for awhile few weeks ago they were literally all over the back of my tank to the point I got worried, but after reading some things online people just said leave em alone, and they eventually go away. Now they dwindled to about 20 spread out where at one point I could hardly see the back of the tank.

Now that the sponges are retreating I have an outbreak of the white swirl looking filter feeders on the glass. Seriously they are so dense as I type this I'm watching a hermit crab climb up the back wall on my tank.

Can you post some pics so we can see what the white stuff if I can call it that is that is growing on the back glass ?

Albert

Personally I am not a big fan of those poly-fil. I find it easier to replace the cut filter floss instead of trying to get out the loose fibers from these bags. Anyone have any other method of using them?

so good thing i didnt order 2 or 3 of the bags of poly, i didnt realize how big they are haha

this would last for a year with my tiny tank lol

this whole bag was $8 at another walmart....and that poly filter i bought yesterday was $10

polyfil.jpg

this would last for a year with my tiny tank lol
Yep... so don't be stingy with it! :D Switch it out every week. If the sand gets stirred up, switch it out as soon as the tank clears. Glad you found it, it's probably the cheapest filter media out there. It does a good job too. Just don't let it sit in there too long.
Yep... so don't be stingy with it! :D Switch it out every week. If the sand gets stirred up, switch it out as soon as the tank clears. Glad you found it, it's probably the cheapest filter media out there. It does a good job too. Just don't let it sit in there too long.

great thanks for the help....do i have to worry about it coming apart and putting fibers into the water? should it be in a media bag as well?

great thanks for the help....do i have to worry about it coming apart and putting fibers into the water? should it be in a media bag as well?
It will pretty much stay together and take the shape of the filter chamber, so you don't need a media bag. Occasionally, fibers will be released, but it won't be a lot and they are easily removed.

UPDATE++

So yesterday was day 8 of the tank being up. First time any noticeable change happened. I got a little algae on the top of the rock and on a few other places. Added the bag of carbon and went to work this morning.

imgp2198.jpg

today i came home and there was a lot more!

imgp2199u.jpg

imgp2200d.jpg

imgp2201pl.jpg

imgp2202.jpg

imgp2203.jpg

SO....is it time for a CUC or should i hold out another few days?

and for such a small tank what would be the ideal CUC be?

I have been checking the levels of Ammonia and Nitrite basically everyday and they have been at 0

albertthiel
UPDATE++

So yesterday was day 8 of the tank being up. First time any noticeable change happened. I got a little algae on the top of the rock and on a few other places. Added the bag of carbon and went to work this morning.

imgp2198.jpg

today i came home and there was a lot more!

imgp2199u.jpg

imgp2200d.jpg

imgp2201pl.jpg

imgp2202.jpg

imgp2203.jpg

SO....is it time for a CUC or should i hold out another few days?

and for such a small tank what would be the ideal CUC be?

I have been checking the levels of Ammonia and Nitrite basically everyday and they have been at 0

Diatoms ... Need w c. And CUC to clean up the tank

Albert

|

V

Diatoms ... Need w c. And CUC to clean up the tank

Albert

|

V

thanks, i will do a 20% water change tomorrow and get a CUC!

talking bout a 350z?

i had a 300zx twin turbo, then had a 350z with exhaust, intake and wheels...but recently sold it cause i needed a 4 door...just got a acura tl type S but i miss my Z everyday!! im obsessed! :)

Z32 :wub:

There's another z guy on here as well. Were you ever on any of the forums? Specifically, 3zc?

Rollermonkey
how about the purple and orange thing? is that something that will start to grow?

The purple thing looks like a form of branching coralline algae. I think I have something similar, so I just saw pictures that look like yours.

Z32 :wub:

There's another z guy on here as well. Were you ever on any of the forums? Specifically, 3zc?

really? haha thats cool....I was on 3zc for years and then i started going on my350z once i got a z33. were you on the forums and/or have a Z?

The purple thing looks like a form of branching coralline algae. I think I have something similar, so I just saw pictures that look like yours.

yea that one little piece has not changed at all....its just kinda stayin as is.

UPDATE- My first tank is officially 2 weeks old! :D

After the outbreak of diatoms about 4 days ago i went to the LFS and picked up a CUC

From what ive read it looks like i got

5-Blue legged hermit crabs

4-Astrea Snails

They immediately started working and cleaned the entire tank overnight! and i finally have something to watch!

CUC added after acclimating

imgp2213l.jpg

imgp2214w.jpg

Little royal rumble wrestling match went on for the first 15 mins or so.

imgp2230h.jpg

These guys went right to work

imgp2242.jpg

imgp2250j.jpg

Everybody doin there thing!

imgp2255u.jpg

Dont know what this green seed looking thing is, woke up to it one day.

imgp2258s.jpg

And the crew did their job! very fast

imgp2269i.jpg

imgp2270.jpg

my little piece of the ocean is happy for now :)

imgp2272s.jpg

now i have a few questions.........

Was that CUC too much? it seemed like a lot for such a small tank but the guy at the LFS said no.

I am kinda worried now that all that algae is gone they wont have enough to eat....is that true? should i remove a snail or 2? and do i need to put in shells for the hermit crabs? lol

Also can i get more diversity in my CUC? I would like to add a emerald crab and few sexy shrimp if thats possible. Heard those shrimp like pairs of 3, would that be too much?

My Nitrite and Ammonia are still stable at 0.

What and when would be the next step for me?

The LFS guy said to add a few fish before adding any corals. and he also said not to start adding corals till the end of the summer or so.....i dont have to wait that long do i?

thanks for reading

really? haha thats cool....I was on 3zc for years and then i started going on my350z once i got a z33. were you on the forums and/or have a Z?

Both. I have a z, (NA :P) she's currently resting in my garage though. The bf use to have a really nice TT, but he sold it when we moved.

I stopped going to that site years ago though. How long ago were you on it? That site went to ****, too many ricers. If you're a ricer, I'll totally make fun of you...just saying. :D

Both. I have a z, (NA :P) she's currently resting in my garage though. The bf use to have a really nice TT, but he sold it when we moved.

I stopped going to that site years ago though. How long ago were you on it? That site went to ****, too many ricers. If you're a ricer, I'll totally make fun of you...just saying. :D

HAHAH the furthest thing from a ricer! i keep it classy! that site did go to sh*t, i got off there over 6 years ago and started going on my350z which is going to sh*t now cause little kids are now able to afford 350z's :(

thats awesome you drive a Z though, your bf got a cool chick! oh and i had a NA first too :)

Was that CUC too much? it seemed like a lot for such a small tank but the guy at the LFS said no.

I am kinda worried now that all that algae is gone they wont have enough to eat....is that true? should i remove a snail or 2? and do i need to put in shells for the hermit crabs? lol

Hermit Crabs don't get much love on this site these days. I think they are interesting, but 5 is a lot for this tank. However, you might wait until they get a little larger to give them to your LFS or another reef geek. And yes, you do need empty shells for them.

Also can i get more diversity in my CUC? I would like to add a emerald crab and few sexy shrimp if thats possible.
Emerald Crabs can cause problems for some people. When they don't have enough algae to eat, they can go hunting. For diversity, try a couple different snails (like a couple Nassarius and Cerith Snails). Might sound like a lot, but your crabs will probably make a meal out of a couple (and steal their shells).

The LFS guy said to add a few fish before adding any corals. and he also said not to start adding corals till the end of the summer or so.....i dont have to wait that long do i?
You don't have to do anything your LFS tells you to. Some would say that you'd be better off not doing anything they tell you to. Keep checking for ammonia, if you don't detect it for a week straight, you can add a fish, wait another week and maybe add another fish or a couple corals.

thank you again seabass!

yes even though the people at the LFS are supposed to know everything id rather make my own decisions based on what i read on this forum and what experienced reefers think.

so i will do like you said and like i thought and add stuff slowly over week periods or so.

thanks for the info on the snail and crab situation too

im loving everything so far!

albertthiel

After the outbreak of diatoms about 4 days ago i went to the LFS and picked up a CUC

4-Astrea Snails

They immediately started working and cleaned the entire tank overnight! and i finally have something to watch!

CUC added after acclimating

imgp2213l.jpg

imgp2214w.jpg

Little royal rumble wrestling match went on for the first 15 mins or so.

imgp2230h.jpg

These guys went right to work

imgp2242.jpg

imgp2250j.jpg

Everybody doin there thing!

imgp2255u.jpg

Dont know what this green seed looking thing is, woke up to it one day.

imgp2258s.jpg

And the crew did their job! very fast

imgp2269i.jpg

imgp2270.jpg

my little piece of the ocean is happy for now :)

imgp2272s.jpg

Looking good indeed ...

What are you going to add ?

Albert

albertthiel

4-Astrea Snails

Can you post a close up pic of that green thing you were referring to ... I cannot see what it looks like in the pic you posted ... thanks

Albert

Looking good indeed ...

What are you going to add ?

Albert

thank you. i only plan on maybe 1 or 2 clownfish and mostly soft corals.

Since i am so new and didnt go into this with a big plan i am trying to research others tanks and get an idea what i can do with mine

Can you post a close up pic of that green thing you were referring to ... I cannot see what it looks like in the pic you posted ... thanks

Albert

yes i will try to take a better pic tonight. its very small and im working with a 12mp point and shoot camera :)

Imo it's a bit overkill for a cuc, but they sure did a great job cleaning that rock :) I've had 4 hermit crabs for a year now and over that time all they did was kill my snails and fight each other and search for that bigger shell so they can grow into even bigger killers.

I do have another sort of snail that reproduces quicker than the hermits can eat them lol. I forget what they're called, some sort of hitchiker.. but they do a great job :) The majority of my cleanup crew consists of brittle worms and microbrittle stars

Archived