Cultivated Reef

BRS carbon and GFO

NanoNewb2011

NanoNewb2011

Im going to take advantage of the bulk reef supply group buy next week and I know alot of you guys run the BRS carbon and GFO in your tanks.

After looking over their site they have a few different "qualites" of media, theres ROX 0.8, Lignite, and Bituminous carbon. And for the GFO theres granular and high capacity.

Which ones are most people using?

SWEET! missed that tool on the page

Thanks Hectic

I use the large lignite carbon and the granular GFO (not the HC). Pretty happy with the results. Change it out every 2 weeks. I run it the old way (dump GFO into cartridge, then put carbon all the way to the top between 2 foam discs) based on their calculator. I dont't like running it their new suggested way (mixing carbon and GFO together). For me, it solidified too much and slowed the flow wayyyyyy down. I just run it the old way and adjust it so I have light surface agitation on the top of the GFO. Works great. And much much cheaper than Chemipure/Purigen that I was running.

AZDesertRat

DO NOT use BRS recommended dosage! For some strange reason they recommend TWICE what every other vendor or manufacturer recommends.

Start with 5 grams or 1/2 spoonfull per 10 gallons and slowly work up to 10 grams or 1 spoonfull per 10 gallons over time so you don't shock the system. Too much is proven to cause bleaching of corals'

I prefer the pelletized version as it seems to stay whole without grinding to dust and it does not seem to trap detritus or pack down as bad as the granular versions.

Mixing carbon and GFO together is not advised as they have different useful lives and different flow requirements. Its best to run them in seperate reactors or bags. For someone who claims to be professionals I seriously question much of the advice they give? Like everything else, research, research, research and take your time. Don't take what any one person says as gospel, get a consensus from experienced hobbyists.

Edited by AZDesertRat
  • Like 1
DO NOT use BRS recommended dosage! For some strange reason they recommend TWICE what every other vendor or manufacturer recommends.

Start with 5 grams or 1/2 spoonfull per 10 gallons and slowly work up to 10 grams or 1 spoonfull per 10 gallons over time so you don't shock the system. Too much is proven to cause bleaching of corals'

I prefer the pelletized version as it seems to stay whole without grinding to dust and it does not seem to trap detritus or pack down as bad as the granular versions.

Mixing carbon and GFO together is not advised as they have different useful lives and different flow requirements. Its best to run them in seperate reactors or bags. For someone who claims to be professionals I seriously question much of the advice they give? Like everything else, research, research, research and take your time. Don't take what any one person says as gospel, get a consensus from experienced hobbyists.

Yeah, I'd agree that their recommendations for GFO are way too high. I'd start with 1/4th of their recommended amount.

They do recommend running the media separately though, don't they?

Yeah, I'd agree that their recommendations for GFO are way too high. I'd start with 1/4th of their recommended amount.

They do recommend running the media separately though, don't they?

They sure don't. When I called and asked they told me to mix the two together and told me that is how they run it...

They sure don't. When I called and asked they told me to mix the two together and told me that is how they run it...

Odd. They sell the dual reactors that pretty explicitly show them to be run separately, or at least not in the same container.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...-reactor-1.html

I for one don't see the problem in running them in the same water stream, GAC first and GFO second. I just tweak the flow so that it is low enough for the GFO. But, mixing them together in the same container is problematic if you want to change one and not the other, regenerate the GFO, fluidize or backwash the GAC, etc.

nyknicks4412
Odd. They sell the dual reactors that pretty explicitly show them to be run separately, or at least not in the same container.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...-reactor-1.html

I for one don't see the problem in running them in the same water stream, GAC first and GFO second. I just tweak the flow so that it is low enough for the GFO. But, mixing them together in the same container is problematic if you want to change one and not the other, regenerate the GFO, fluidize or backwash the GAC, etc.

When they recommend running them in the same reactor they mean splitting them up with sponges like is seen in this picture.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/catalo...961/image/5013/

I will be purchasing media as well for a new build I have coming up and I will be running both GFO and Carbon in this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-gf...-reactor-1.html

The media I will be using is ROX .8 Carbon and the normal GFO

When they recommend running them in the same reactor they mean splitting them up with sponges like is seen in this picture.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/catalo...961/image/5013/

I will be purchasing media as well for a new build I have coming up and I will be running both GFO and Carbon in this:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-gf...-reactor-1.html

The media I will be using is ROX .8 Carbon and the normal GFO

Actually in their latest video they suggest mixing them:

Like I said, this didn't work for me. It solidified too much and slowed the flow to almost nothing on a maxed out Cobalt MJ1200. I might try ramping down the GFO amount as suggested. Some of my corals aren't quite as bright as they once were.

HecticDialectics

Actually in their latest video they suggest mixing them:

Did you not watch the whole video? They clearly say the same exact disadvantages that azdesert said above? Easier for some, but lifespan differences... and before, they clearly show how to run them separately? :huh:

Did you not watch the whole video? They clearly say the same exact disadvantages that azdesert said above? Easier for some, but lifespan differences... and before, they clearly show how to run them separately? :huh:

Lol. Yes I have watched the entire video I linked and I just watched it again. Maybe you need to. They clearly show and state their preferred method of running both medias in a single reactor is by mixing them and not using more than 50% GFO in the mixture. I am aware their older videos showed separating the two medias in a single reactor but their newest video that was added to YouTube about 2 months ago says they prefer to mix them. Whatever. I was just trying to help the OP with my real world experience vs their most recent suggestion.

HecticDialectics
Lol. Yes I have watched the entire video I linked and I just watched it again. Maybe you need to. They clearly show and state their preferred method of running both medias in a single reactor is by mixing them and not using more than 50% GFO in the mixture. I am aware their older videos showed separating the two medias in a single reactor but their newest video that was added to YouTube about 2 months ago says they prefer to mix them. Whatever. I was just trying to help the OP with my real world experience vs their most recent suggestion.

No it doesn't. They simply say its easier to mix them for some folks. And right after they say its easier, they say it comes with a number of disadvantages... :wacko: God forbid anyone be capable of weighing the disadvantages and making an independent decision.

You keep trying to characterize it as the "new way" as opposed to the "old way", which is just entirely and completely wrong. They say how to do both.

No it doesn't. They simply say its easier to mix them for some folks. And right after they say its easier, they say it comes with a number of disadvantages... :wacko: God forbid anyone be capable of weighing the disadvantages and making an independent decision.

You keep trying to characterize it as the "new way" as opposed to the "old way", which is just entirely and completely wrong. They say how to do both.

I'm sorry. I guess I misunderstood the guy with the long hair. I guess when he said he prefers to run his mixed thats not what he meant. And when I say new way and old way I am referring to their old video method vs their latest video method. Whatever, the point I am trying to make through all of this is that I have tried both methods and prefer to separate them like I said in my original post. My intention with my post was just that. To suggest running them split in the single reactor as opposed to mixing them, which it seems we can both agree on.

• 5 years later...
On 6/19/2012 at 9:38 PM, AZDesertRat said:

How are you coming up with those numbers? Not questioning if you're right or wrong. I just want to know where your getting them from. @AZDesertRat