Pod Your Reef

Majano Anemones - Pests

albertthiel

albertthiel

Here is a link to some good pictures on the pest anemone Majano species. They are hard to remove even with injections of Kalkwasser or stronger compounds ands some hobbyists actually electrocute them (yes)

You can actually find a link to a commercial instrument in a topic in this general thread that I posted earlier today

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/bta/not/majano.html

Albert

jedimasterben

Usually too pretty to kill! I'm trying to convince my LFS to grab a couple off of some zoa rocks that came in from a shipment.

I had two as hitchikers when I first started up my tank. They move around all the time, but they stay on the anemone rocks - they never go anywhere else. They are electric green with darker green mouths. I guess if they didn't look nice, or decided to go mess with some coral, it would be different, but I think they're great. :)

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Usually too pretty to kill! I'm trying to convince my LFS to grab a couple off of some zoa rocks that came in from a shipment.

I had two as hitchikers when I first started up my tank. They move around all the time, but they stay on the anemone rocks - they never go anywhere else. They are electric green with darker green mouths. I guess if they didn't look nice, or decided to go mess with some coral, it would be different, but I think they're great. :)

Yeah I just got some GSP yesterday from a nearby reefer and there was a majano right on the edge of the frag and he was about to kill it for me I told him to keep it there. The GSP is fine but it has yet to "bloom" I guess I am still waiting for it to acclimate to the lights.

albertthiel

Yes they do look great but they can become pests in the tank and multiply a little too fast for many hobbyists and they are hard to kill

Guess from what I read the opinions on them differ quite a bit :) has anyone had any real outbreaks of them similar to Aiptasia invasions ?

Just wondering why the general consensus among a number of hobbyists and stores is to get rid of them before adding them to the tank

Albert

Do the Mantis bother them at all and how many do you have ... have you experienced that they multiply real fast

Albert

I have, and love, a number of majano anemones in my mantis tank...they are lovely.

Jamie

Jedimaster from what I know and thinking back about what hobbyists have told me most of them want to get rid of them

You may also want to do a search on the net and see what the comments are that you find and most of them suggest that they are pests

Albert

I think the title should be "Majano Anemones - Pests or Friends?"

:D

albertthiel

Yes pretty they look but most consider them pests :(

majanoAnemone.png

Albert

I have, and love, a number of majano anemones in my mantis tank...they are lovely.

Jamie

Mine multiply quickly. One is wedged below a frogspawn and stinging the crap out of one head. I did the syringe of boiling water on them with little success. Most have shriveled up, but will surely recover.

One really ideal kill method is to drain tank down to level of pest, or lift out frag, and spot laser them with a blue jet windproof lighter. Its such a pinpoint flame its easy to shoot right in the middle of other corals it might be wedged in. I've fire burned anything in my tanks over the years its great, we still do it commonly.

One or a few might not be bad, but if you search there are a couple threads showing shocking pics here of Majano tanks that have multiplied to thousands w no room for other corals

albertthiel

The eradication method that is most often found is electrocution .... as indeed they are very resistant and are pests as they damage other corals (and multiply quickly) ...

I have also seen a suggestion to inject them with vinegar and that doing so seems to kill them off but that is FWIW as I have not tried that myself.

KW does not seem to do it for them either and some who tried lemon juice did not have success either.

What you can try that I have also seen is injecting them with Hydrogen peroxide as that may work too.

Albert

Mine multiply quickly. One is wedged below a frogspawn and stinging the crap out of one head. I did the syringe of boiling water on them with little success. Most have shriveled up, but will surely recover.
albertthiel

Yes I guess you can do it that way but IMO that is bit time consuming no ?

Yes I have seen tanks that are overgrown with them to the point where the owner may as well take the tank down and start over again after rinsing the tank out with a strong acid and water and kill off spores of anything that may be in it and then flushing it a number of times (outside) with a hose and getting the tank all clean again ...

I find it odd that some people say they Like them (do they think they are on Facebook :) )

Albert

One really ideal kill method is to drain tank down to level of pest, or lift out frag, and spot laser them with a blue jet windproof lighter. Its such a pinpoint flame its easy to shoot right in the middle of other corals it might be wedged in. I've fire burned anything in my tanks over the years its great, we still do it commonly.

One or a few might not be bad, but if you search there are a couple threads showing shocking pics here of Majano tanks that have multiplied to thousands w no room for other corals

Islandoftiki

How could anybody want to kill such a wonderful anemone?

252F29C8.jpg

I'm trying to get mine to multiply with no luck. I think I need to let the water get a little dirtier for them to really take off.

By the way, if they're in a location that you can cover them with a piece of shell, they'll usually climb up on top of the shell, then just remove them.

Whatever you do, try to remove them all in one piece. I've had good luck getting them out by irritating their base for a while, then they'll let go.

Mine were always just brown those are rare but look neat! I always killed mine when there were one or two, before they took over.

albertthiel

Of course that is not just 1, that is a group of several ...

I am not suggesting you need to kill it or them just stating that they can overtake your aquarium and that a lot of hobbyists get them out of their tanks before that happens

The colors on yours are very nice (the lights you use") as in most cases they do not look that color.

Also are you sure that this is the one we are talking about ??? (Majano)

Albert

252F29C8.jpg

I'm trying to get mine to multiply with no luck. I think I need to let the water get a little dirtier for them to really take off.

By the way, if they're in a location that you can cover them with a piece of shell, they'll usually climb up on top of the shell, then just remove them.

Whatever you do, try to remove them all in one piece. I've had good luck getting them out by irritating their base for a while, then they'll let go.

It may be the lighting used that gives it that color or this is not Majano although it does look like this is a patch of several ....

Guess some hobbyists do not know that these are aggressive types and damage other lifeforms

Albert

Mine were always just brown those are rare but look neat! I always killed mine when there were one or two, before they took over.
jedimasterben

252F29C8.jpg

MotherofGod.png

Make them split ASAP and send me one!!! :D

albertthiel
MotherofGod.png

Make them split ASAP and send me one!!! :D

I would recommend doing some reading about their desirability though ... not everyone thinks so highly of them although they do look nice in that tank and seem to have nicer colors than most of the ones I have seen over time

Albert

FWIW

jedimasterben
I would recommend doing some reading about their desirability though ... not everyone thinks so highly of them although they do look nice in that tank and seem to have nicer colors than most of the ones I have seen over time

Albert

FWIW

I know quite a bit about them, and I already have a couple of them. They would be going into an all-anemone system (well, a multi-tank system, one tank being an anemone tank).

EDIT: By the way, take a look around the forum and you'll see a lot of people setting up "pest" tanks, keeping majanos, aiptasia, mantids, different worms, and other things that most people don't want in their tank. :)

albertthiel
I know quite a bit about them, and I already have a couple of them. They would be going into an all-anemone system (well, a multi-tank system, one tank being an anemone tank).

EDIT: By the way, take a look around the forum and you'll see a lot of people setting up "pest" tanks, keeping majanos, aiptasia, mantids, different worms, and other things that most people don't want in their tank. :)

Thanks and yes I guess that way would work and indeed I have noticed that a lot of tanks are getting set up with lifeforms that a few years ago we would kill off and get rid off or try to get out of our aquariums at the first sign of seeing them ... odd .. but what the heck if that is what certain hobbyists like why not !

Albert

jedimasterben
Thanks and yes I guess that way would work and indeed I have noticed that a lot of tanks are getting set up with lifeforms that a few years ago we would kill off and get rid off or try to get out of our aquariums at the first sign of seeing them ... odd .. but what the heck if that is what certain hobbyists like why not !

Albert

:)

Islandoftiki

Those are indeed majanos in my pictures. There are many different varieties. I have more than one kind of brown majano. Some have bubble type tips, some have stringy arms, some have interesting patterns on them. They also come in solid green. The green ones with red tips are really beautiful.

Also, I am going to try to grow some of my majanos out. I have already sent four of the red/green ones to people on Nano-Reef who have mantis or pest tanks. They aren't something you can just go out and buy because they're considered pests. I don't see it. Mine don't bother any of the other corals in my pest tank, even the ones they're touching.

Anyhow, I hope to grow some of these out and make them available to people who would like them. I think they require poor conditions to grow out of control. They seem to prefer high nitrates. I have an unused 7.5 gallon tank that I'm going to throw a couple in and then neglect and overfeed the tank a bit.

In a very clean tank, I think it would be difficult for them to get out of hand.

Absolute pests. They may be colorful but when you have around 200 hundred of them they arent so pretty. They start to kill or stunt the growth of thousands of dollars of corals you have had for multiple years. Hate them.

They caused chingchai to remove everything in his 1000 gallon system, eradicate them and put back his hundreds of colonies.

Bottom line is they are not fun.

Islandoftiki
Bottom line is they are not fun.

Incorrect. They are fun. When you intend to grow them. Sadly, when you intend to grow them, they won't grow... Silly majanos.

I'd be more concerned about aiptasia if it were me.

If only you could see people come to my place and be completely uninterested in my 10 gallon tank full of expensive corals and go straight for the 2 gallon pest tank full of majanos, aiptasia, and other invasives. You'll wonder why you wasted so much money on fancy corals.

albertthiel
Those are indeed majanos in my pictures. There are many different varieties. I have more than one kind of brown majano. Some have bubble type tips, some have stringy arms, some have interesting patterns on them. They also come in solid green. The green ones with red tips are really beautiful.

Also, I am going to try to grow some of my majanos out. I have already sent four of the red/green ones to people on Nano-Reef who have mantis or pest tanks. They aren't something you can just go out and buy because they're considered pests. I don't see it. Mine don't bother any of the other corals in my pest tank, even the ones they're touching.

Anyhow, I hope to grow some of these out and make them available to people who would like them. I think they require poor conditions to grow out of control. They seem to prefer high nitrates. I have an unused 7.5 gallon tank that I'm going to throw a couple in and then neglect and overfeed the tank a bit.

In a very clean tank, I think it would be difficult for them to get out of hand.

If you are happy with them and you seem to be then by all means grow them and nurture them and enjoy them as you are obviously doing but yes indeed in the trade they are considered pests :)

Albert

Incorrect. They are fun. When you intend to grow them. Sadly, when you intend to grow them, they won't grow... Silly majanos.

I'd be more concerned about aiptasia if it were me.

If only you could see people come to my place and be completely uninterested in my 10 gallon tank full of expensive corals and go straight for the 2 gallon pest tank full of majanos, aiptasia, and other invasives. You'll wonder why you wasted so much money on fancy corals.

Yes I guess that happens just as a number of hobbyists are now keeping tanks with all kinds of livestock we consider pests such as mantis shrimp and others but if that is what they want to do then why not. I just don't like the Majanos in regular thanks but that's me ...

Albert'

Mr. Microscope

I've also seriously considered a majano biotope. Still might try it when I have the time and space for an extra pico.

jedimasterben

There's always space for a pico, cause they're so, you know, pico-sized. :)

3g Mr Aqua bowfront/rimless tank + Aquaclear 20 = ~$55

Just sayin' :)

Archived