Top Shelf Aquatics

RSM 130D Reviews?

BostonReef

Hey there,

I posted a JBJ 28g LED Pro vs. the RSM 130d thread over in the AIO section, but it wasn't getting much attention, especially about the RSM which I am most interested in.

I find the RSM to be much better looking than the JBJ, both aesthetically and in terms of the glass, which comes off as clearer/sharper than the JBJ. So I'm hoping people can confirm that it pulls it weight performance wise and is truly the plug-n-play mini reef tank RSM markets it as. At $100 more for the RSM tank + stand package than the JBJ package, it's gotta be at least as good to justify me spending so much on it.

So, for any past or present RSM 130/130D owners, I have some specific areas of interest/concern that I would appreciate your input on.

1.) Lighting --

The whole "T5 Power Compact" thing is confusing since T5s and PCs are different types of light. I think they're suggesting that they are PCs equivalent to T5s, but I don't love this aspect just bc it seems purposefully misleading. The first time I saw this tank I thought it had T5 lights bc I had skimmed the specs quickly.

Regardless, it's the quality that counts. Have people successfully kept both sps and lps considered to have high lighting req'ments? If not, what was the limit to its capabilities? I've seen a lot on youTube with LED conversions, but it would be hard to justify spending $3-400 to replace the lights with what are basically the same type that comes with the JBJ for $100 less in the first place. -- This is by far my biggest concern so any feedback is MUCH appreciated!

2.) Flow rate --

A bit perplexing is the fact that everything I've read seems to suggest the RSM has more powerful current despite the fact that they seem rated at less flow than the JBJ (2 x 166 gph vs 2 x 240ish gph). Maybe its the adjustable nozzles that make it better for reef keeping, I'm not really sure.

Basically, my only question here is: Was the current sufficient for most cuc, etc.? And again, was it plug-n-play in this regard or did you end up having to add a powerhead?

3.) Cooling/chilling --

One of my biggest concerns is needing to drop another $300 on a chiller that, again, would probably be unnecessary with the relatively cool LEDs of the JBJ 28g Pro. I've seen mixed reports about this; anyone in a hot climate with room temps over 78 degrees almost always talks about needing a chiller or extra fans. I'm in New England so it doesn't get super hot up here, and even in the summer it's usually under 75 in the house. The a/c can easily bring it down to 70 if I wanted it to, and while that'd up the electric bill it'd save me the cost of a chiller (i hope) which would add to my bill on its own anyway.

So basically, if theres someone running the stock light in a similar client, are you able to keep the water below 78 sans chiller? I believe the 130D also features cooling fans that weren't on the 130; Have these been helpful in keeping it cool? I guess the only upside to the issue is that if lighting and chilling were both issues, I could probably kill 2 birds with 1 stone and swap for LEDs that wouldnt overheat the tank. Then again, I could also just go with JBJ. Im hoping its a non-issue.

4.) Misc - ease of filter cleaning, refugium space, eyc.

I've heard a few complaints about access to the carbon media area of the filtration compartment. Certainly at 5 gal it seems bigger than most AIOs, and if this is a minor issue that costs a few extra minutes, then big deal. Also, is there enough space back there for chaeto / extra LR, etc.? It seemed that especially with the chiller pump installed that maybe there wasn't much extra space.

So those are my main questions. I'll stop typing bc I dont want to scare people off with a mountain of text. Don't hesitate to answer as many or as few questions as you are able. Basically Im looking to find the capabilites of the 130 as-is, and what, if any, upgrades you needed to make it able to handle sps/lps of your choice.

Thanks, hope to hear from you!

• 1 year later...
Mike Savage

It has been 2 1/2 years since I took my RSM down when I sold my home and moved. What made me purchase it over the other AIO tanks of similar size was:

1. The built in power controller

2. The flat glass (instead of curved) I shoot a lot of photos of marine aquariums and I wear bifocals. Curved glass does not work for either of these.

I kept the house at 78 degrees during the summer and the tank would get up to 80 maybe 81 degrees. I did not feel there was a need for a chiller.

I was not impressed with the skimmer and stopped using it after awhile. I noticed no difference with or without it.

I really liked the water flow and never felt the need for an ugly powerhead in the tank.

The lighting was a little better than I expected but not as much as I would have liked. I did grow Montiporas in the top third of the tank and they did okay. Not great, just okay. LPS including hammer, frogspawn, candycane and a rock anemone on the sand loved it and thrived as did ricordeas. Acans grew very slowly. I was using LEDs on another small tank at the time and really wish my RSM had them. If it did I would probably still have it.

I have since decided to set up another tank and am just putting water in a 25 gallon cube (18") with sump and LED lighting. I do miss the RSM but this time around really wanted a sump with large refugium and LED lighting. Like I said before: if the RSM had LED lighting I would still have it.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Mike Savage

I just thought of one other thing. Just before I bought the RSM my son had a JBJ 24gallon nano. It was a decent set up but I much preferred the flat glass, flow, overall design, and power center on the RSM. I don't know how the old JBJ 24 compares to the new LED models though. I really like the idea of the RSM with LED lighting. I hope you get more feedback so you can make a wise decision.

Mike

oldSWseamomma

I agree with Spriofucci :) I've had my RSM130D for over a year and love it. I bought it used by a one-owner/friend and he had it for 4 years. I replaced all the fans and lights in the hood as per the recommended upkeep. The fans are quiet and the new lights were much brighter. I also upgraded to Intank/StevieT's pumps and that took care of micro bubbles due to evaporation issues. The pumps are now in the bottom section of the pump chamber instead of near the top. Overall this tank has been great with no heat issues or flow. I also use a Tunze 3152 nano ATO. I still use the stock skimmer and it is running great.

Archived