inTank Media Baskets

Tiepilot68's 20L back from the grave

tiepilot68

albertthiel
Thanks! Even though I've been in this hobby for over 8 years I still feel very much like a newbie and keep the attitude that I've got alot to learn. Because I REALLY do!

I'm pretty landlocked here in southern Illinois and the ONLY halfway sorta decent LFS around is Petco. (gasp) I recently discovered a great place about 110 miles away from me and am planning a trip there, but until then my non online purchases are very limited. Most everything I have has come from petco.. I sometimes feel like I'm rescuing pets from a shelter there!

Was told last time I was there that they can't seem to keep the clownfish they get in alive long enough to sell them!! :o

Glad I rescued Fette then!

My Brother is a photographer and has some amazing equipment. He's promised to come over soon and bring a real camera lol. When that happens I will be posting alot more pics!

Until then here are a few more random fts.

randomshot3.jpg

randomshot9.jpg

randomshot4.jpg

Looking real good and sorry to read that you would have to travel that far to find a LFS that is considered good. I have been at several Petco's and although I have seen some real well kept ones I have run into some that are as you describe. I guess a lot has to do with the staff they have and their level of knowledge.

Look forward to seeing the prof. pics

Albert

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking real good and sorry to read that you would have to travel that far to find a LFS that is considered good. I have been at several Petco's and although I have seen some real well kept ones I have run into some that are as you describe. I guess a lot has to do with the staff they have and their level of knowledge.

Look forward to seeing the prof. pics

Albert

Thanks! Eh I like a challenge. :D

The staff are actually really great people and pretty helpful. I think they are hindered by their equipment and time. And maybe their supplier.

albertthiel
Thanks! Eh I like a challenge. :D

The staff are actually really great people and pretty helpful. I think they are hindered by their equipment and time. And maybe their supplier.

One thing that I have always found is that their return policy for merchandise is great ... not sure about livestock as I have not bought any from them

Albert

One thing that I have always found is that their return policy for merchandise is great ... not sure about livestock as I have not bought any from them

Albert

Its about as you would expect for livestock..well saltwater livestock at least. Ziltch. But I cant say as I blame them.

With the movie finding Nemo there was such an influx of kids begging their parents for a clownfish that many were bought without much thought.

So, well meaning parents who simply had no idea of the demands a saltwater ecosystem can put on a person's time and pocketbook ended up bringing dead clownfish back by the droves.

Great movie, but a sad side effect.

I posted a "Before" picture of my tank in my 1st post btw. Just to give an idea of how far my tank had sunk and what I had to start the renewal with.

albertthiel
Its about as you would expect for livestock..well saltwater livestock at least. Ziltch. But I cant say as I blame them.

With the movie finding Nemo there was such an influx of kids begging their parents for a clownfish that many were bought without much thought.

So, well meaning parents who simply had no idea of the demands a saltwater ecosystem can put on a person's time and pocketbook ended up bringing dead clownfish back by the droves.

Great movie, but a sad side effect.

I posted a "Before" picture of my tank in my 1st post btw. Just to give an idea of how far my tank had sunk and what I had to start the renewal with.

Yes that happened all over the US unfortunately ....

Very unfortunate !

On the tank : what a change indeed ...

Love those Zoas too

Albert

tiepilot68
Yes that happened all over the US unfortunately ....

Very unfortunate !

On the tank : what a change indeed ...

Love those Zoas too

Albert

Thanks! I've always loved Zoas. Most of the time Petco here only gets in drab ones but every so often they bring nice ones in and I try to snag them up before someone else does.

I'd order online but wow the shipping alone is killer! yikes

albertthiel
Thanks! I've always loved Zoas. Most of the time Petco here only gets in drab ones but every so often they bring nice ones in and I try to snag them up before someone else does.

I'd order online but wow the shipping alone is killer! yikes

Fortunately I have some real good pet stores around here in Alpharetta, as I agree that shipping can really add a bundle to the price, so I will be getting mine from Pure Reef (http://www.purereef.net). Great store and great selection and super well maintained

Albert

chrssprngs

Sometimes those drab nondescript zoanthids turn into show stoppers. Yours certainly have nice color. Nice colony. Good looking tank. Good work!

tiepilot68
Fortunately I have some real good pet stores around here in Alpharetta, as I agree that shipping can really add a bundle to the price, so I will be getting mine from Pure Reef (http://www.purereef.net). Great store and great selection and super well maintained

Albert

WOW that store is amazing!!!! I would be in heaven there. And in danger of emptying our checking account out. lol

tiepilot68
Sometimes those drab nondescript zoanthids turn into show stoppers. Yours certainly have nice color. Nice colony. Good looking tank. Good work!

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

I've really enjoyed reading both of your threads. Great tanks, both.

I'll take your advice to heart and take a closer look at zoa colonies before writing them off as too drab. :)

albertthiel
WOW that store is amazing!!!! I would be in heaven there. And in danger of emptying our checking account out. lol

Yes you would be buying and buying for sure ... and the site only shows a small portion of what is really there. I was amazed when I visited the store and then found out that I have known the owner for probably 20+ years.

tiepilot68
Yes you would be buying and buying for sure ... and the site only shows a small portion of what is really there. I was amazed when I visited the store and then found out that I have known the owner for probably 20+ years.

Yes its funny how life and relationships sometimes surprise you like that. Keeps things interesting!

Ok a few more pictures!

I turned the circulation off and took some top down shots of my zoas. And one fts.

I love the subtle variety you can see in these when you take the time to look closely.

7-1-1214.jpg

The contrast between the watermelons and the neon zoas here is just awesome.

7-1-1219.jpg

Topdown FTS.. the Neon colony is probably almost 8 inches across.

7-1-1212.jpg

Thanks so much for looking!

tiepilot68

Hammers

macro16.jpg

Rics are growing well. :)

macro15.jpg

An iiiitty bity colony of tube worms doing their part to keep the water filtered.

macro23.jpg

My brother is coming over tomorrow with a nice camera. Will load up on pics and post!

Deleted User 4
An iiiitty bity colony of tube worms doing their part to keep the water filtered.

macro23.jpg

My brother is coming over tomorrow with a nice camera. Will load up on pics and post!

Those are actually hydroids...sorry to say but they're not good as to say they tend to duplicate and spread fast. Once it does so, it'll will sting your corals and such. It's a pest, I used to have them and had to throw out the rock to rid of it.

tiepilot68
Those are actually hydroids...sorry to say but they're not good as to say they tend to duplicate and spread fast. Once it does so, it'll will sting your corals and such. It's a pest, I used to have them and had to throw out the rock to rid of it.

Yikes I posted a question in alberts thread about them. I hate to get rid of the whole rock because its got a nice growth of coraline and GSP's on em. Grrrrr

Deleted User 4
Yikes I posted a question in alberts thread about them. I hate to get rid of the whole rock because its got a nice growth of coraline and GSP's on em. Grrrrr

Yeah, it sucks... here's a link about them..Hydroids.I used to have alot those when I started my 1st tank...the more you touch it..the more they spread...it's that bad...so don't try to touch it or hurt it.

altolamprologus

:huh: That type of hydroid is harmless to everything except larvae and dwarf seahorses...

Deleted User 4
:huh: That type of hydroid is harmless to everything except larvae and dwarf seahorses...

Ohh. But I still wouldn't want to keep it ahaha. They spread fast if you touch them....Annoying pests!!

tiepilot68

Omg thank goodness. I've been reading tonight about how to control them. Alot of people suggest you remove the rock.. cover up the colony with reef safe putty ( the same stuff you stick rocks together with ) and smother them out.

altolamprologus
Omg thank goodness. I've been reading tonight about how to control them. Alot of people suggest you remove the rock.. cover up the colony with reef safe putty ( the same stuff you stick rocks together with ) and smother them out.

You can do that if you want, but IMO it's a waste of time. I used to have those, but they disappeared on their own as my corals grew over them (read: not harmful to anything)

tiepilot68
I love your zoa's. They are beautiful. :o

Thank you so much!

The green colony is HUGE.. like 8 inches around! I got it when it was a little smaller for only 15 bucks! :D

(See Albert.. I DO brag about good deals! lol)

tiepilot68
You can do that if you want, but IMO it's a waste of time. I used to have those, but they disappeared on their own as my corals grew over them (read: not harmful to anything)

Very hugely freakin awesome news! Thanks so much for the info! :D

Deleted User 4

lol. That really depends...My hydroids never went away in my 1st tank.....and duplicated more as you touch or rub on it....so it really depends on what kind of hydroids you have....

Very hugely freakin awesome news! Thanks so much for the info! :D

Unfortunately, you can't base that as good news...

Just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't exceed in population.

altolamprologus
lol. That really depends...My hydroids never went away in my 1st tank.....and duplicated more as you touch or rub on it....so it really depends on what kind of hydroids you have....

Did yours ever harm anything though? I've had a few different species and none of them stung anything except shrimp larvae that was gonna die anyway. The only ones that have been confirmed to sting sessile inverts are digitate hydroids and the branching colonial ones.

Other than being an eyesore until corals take over the space, they aren't a cause for concern.

Archived