Cultivated Reef

Subtropical fish and invert list

Miss Nano

I'm trying to create a list of commercially available subtropical fish, inverts, and macro algae.

There seems to be a shortage of subtropical fauna available, either that or they are frequently mis-sold as tropical.

Subtropical temperature range: High 60's - Low 70's (roughly 68 - 72, no higher than 74)

Seahorses:

Ingens Seahorse (Hippocampus ingens)

White's Seahorse (Hippocampus whitei)

Tuberculatus Seahorses (Hippocampus tuberculatus)

Other Fish:

Garibaldi Damsel (Hypsypops rubicunda) (Seems to have a wide tolerated temperature range)

Eastern Hulafish (Trachinops taeniatus)

Flame Trunkfish (Anaplocapros lenticularis)

Southern Blue Devil (Paraplesiops meleagris)

Blue Spot Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblattii)

Zebra Catalina Goby (Lythrypnus zebra)

Conspicuous Angelfish (Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus)

Clarion Angel (Holacanthus clarionensis)

Passer Angelfish (Holacanthus Passer)

(Possibly other species of Baja Angels)

Inverts:

Abalone (Haliotis sp)

Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus)

* There is some debate between certain of the above species being subtropical vs tropical. This thread is not meant to be a debate thread, if something is posted as subtropical that you disagree with; please post whatever research you have available.

AquaticEngineer

The best resource I have found for figuring out if a fish is truly a tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate fish is searching by the scientific name on www.fishbase.org

I like it because it gives you point map data of actual occurences where the fish have been caught and it gives you a known temperature range and depth they are found at.

Once you know that information you can search for historical surface temperature readings and get a pretty good idea of what temps they occur in. Check out www.NOAA.gov for the best surface temp data. But keep in mind that surface temps don't always translate to a very accurate temperature at depth.

I would trust the scientific data from catch records, and temperature readings given from divers at depth that have noted the fish and the temperature/depth they observed them at over any other information out there.

The best resource I have found for figuring out if a fish is truly a tropical, sub-tropical, or temperate fish is searching by the scientific name on www.fishbase.org

I like it because it gives you point map data of actual occurences where the fish have been caught and it gives you a known temperature range and depth they are found at.

Once you know that information you can search for historical surface temperature readings and get a pretty good idea of what temps they occur in. Check out www.NOAA.gov for the best surface temp data. But keep in mind that surface temps don't always translate to a very accurate temperature at depth.

I would trust the scientific data from catch records, and temperature readings given from divers at depth that have noted the fish and the temperature/depth they observed them at over any other information out there.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to use both of those sites. I had resorted to searching for fish/inverts from a general region that has subtropical species (Sea of Cortez, Eastern Australia) and then looking for information regarding the species from there. Now I can cross reference from fishbase and find more subtropical areas from www.NOAA.gov.

Here's a few others I found:

Orangethroat Pikeblenny (Chaenopsis alepidota) 64-82 degrees

Possibly:

Paddlefin Wrasse (Thalassoma lucasanum)

Red Head Goby (Elacatinus puncticulatus)

Cortez Angelfish (Pomacanthus zonipectus)

AquaticEngineer

One thing I have found is that most of the sub tropical species do better going down in temperature rather than being acclimated up due to the higher oxygen content in cooler water vs warm water.

One thing I have found is that most of the sub tropical species do better going down in temperature rather than being acclimated up due to the higher oxygen content in cooler water vs warm water.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not trying to acclimate a subtropical species to tolerate a warmer temperature, I'm planning on setting up a subtropical tank and am having difficulties finding species (especially clean up crew members) that prefer subtropical temperatures.

AquaticEngineer
Thank you for your reply. I'm not trying to acclimate a subtropical species to tolerate a warmer temperature, I'm planning on setting up a subtropical tank and am having difficulties finding species (especially clean up crew members) that prefer subtropical temperatures.

Ohhh ok :D Well in that case let me know when you want hermits and snails :) All the stuff we collect or bring in as CUC for our temperate tanks is from tidepools for the most part and should have no problem in the high 60's.

Sweet, thanks. I'll definitely check that out. Until that link, I was only able to find one other subtropical marine tank: ( Here's the link for anyone else who may be interested in the future- http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/cu...nk-of-the-month )

AquaticEngineer,

High 60's to low 70's? (Max of 72?) :)

AquaticEngineer
AquaticEngineer,

High 60's to low 70's? (Max of 72?) :)

Oh yeah, most of the time people buy the Turban snails and throw them into a tropical tank and they live for a few months, and thats at 78 degrees.

Keeping them from 68-72 will be in similar enough water temps to tide pools during summer.

Archived