Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jT's 12G Long Nano Journey

jT415Gz

tank looks good.

my tail spot blenny hardly ever eats when i feed the tank. maybe if a pellet floats by him he may nibble it. he picks all day long at my glass and rocks eating algea.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tank looks good.

my tail spot blenny hardly ever eats when i feed the tank. maybe if a pellet floats by him he may nibble it. he picks all day long at my glass and rocks eating algea.

Thanks reefone

Dude all day long is right. All I see him do is pick at the half baked left over diatoms and fresh algae that just started growing. Hopefully he gets the point that the other stuff is food also. Not sure if algae is enough to keep him running.

Here's what I feed my tank in small mixed portions morning and night (Freeze Dried/Pellets)

S.F. Bay Freeze Dried Mysis (Yasha Goby)

Sustainable Aquatics .5mm pellets (Smaller Clown)

Spectrum 1mm Sinking Pellets Regular Formula (Both Clowns)

Rods Frozen Food as a treat once a week (Everything)

Coral Frenzy 2-3 times per week (For myself. I just love it. lol) <~Fish literally go into a FRENZY once I pour it in. It reminds me of Shark Week coming up next Sunday!!!

What else are they known to eat? How long have you had your Tail Spot so far?

i dont really know what else they eat as the only thing mine ever does is pick at the algea. ive had mine for over 2yrs and like i said i hardly ever see him eat. so the algea he gets must be enough.

alright i see. if he's lived for that long than i guess algae should be plenty. maybe I could get some kind of algae wafers for herbivores fish maybe even some dried seaweed?

can anyone recommend a good known brand?

thanks

Update:

Seen the MIA pistol shrimp come out of its den protected by yasha, grabbing a pellet off the substrate and wasn't able to get the camera phone quick enough as it eluded back inside. Sucks. Oh well, I believe I've witnessed the yasha passing its food to the pistol shrimp? Do they do this...actually share food?

Anyway, I did a 5 gallon water change last night and everything went according to plan.

Last night was the last time I've seen the blue coral banded shrimp (still without boxer claws) at his usual rock area hanging upside down swaying in the currents. He is ALWAYS on this particular area since he lost his main claws. This morning he is no where to be found! Now I'm thinking if the pistol might have blasted it...but they both reside at two different rocks. The yasha and pistol at the center rock and banded shrimp at the far far right. No signs of exoskeleton either. I checked just about everywhere even in the sump and inside the overflow box cover. Either dead or a very very good crevice hider.

Jt, I was wondering what kind I sand you are using, and even better, what grain size it is? Do you have any problems with the mp10?

awesome tank!

Thanks for visiting FishHeaded! :) Always glad to see some new folk as well as old.

As any reefkeeper would probably always think. There's always room for improvement (slight changes). As I am thinking of redoing my scape to a long wider tappering narrower and taller to shorter from one side to the other with a little bit of negative space. haha hope that makes any sense! Imagine if you take a triangle shape and only pull the right side of it all the way to the right side of a 36" long tank.

Jt, I was wondering what kind I sand you are using, and even better, what grain size it is? Do you have any problems with the mp10?

No problem patback! I am using 20lbs of Tropic of Eden Reeflakes from Premium Aquatics and the approximate grain size between 1-1.5mm which is very consistent and very clean from the start. I love it. I used to have just fine sugar sand and was cool with the look but any amount of flow would create storms which in turn was hard to clean the tank without stirring it up.

Good question, which was something I had to play around with overtime and finally found the perfect location for the MP10. I have it horizontally positioned between the front glass and overflow box. It is vertically positioned 70% off the substrate, 20% below water line and 30% below rim of the tank.

Later on as I introduced both shrimps they would get sucked into the mp10 and lost their claws. This is without any foam cover on the mp10. So I took that foam cover that's included with the mp10 and cut in half around the perimeter, now that helps keep inverts out and to keep debris and food sucked in and thrown out without being caught in the foam cover. It also reduces the substrate directly underneath to float upwards. I can only max the mp10 out at 70% before the water line reaches the rim. But even that is just too much flow for my inhabitants liking, they start to look like they are trapped in a endless toilet bowl being flushed :P

A bit wordy but hope that helped!

That was perfect. Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply all of that. That really was the perfect answer giving that It answered all my questions without me typing it out :D

Thanks for visiting FishHeaded! :) Always glad to see some new folk as well as old.

As any reefkeeper would probably always think. There's always room for improvement (slight changes). As I am thinking of redoing my scape to a long wider tappering narrower and taller to shorter from one side to the other with a little bit of negative space. haha hope that makes any sense! Imagine if you take a triangle shape and only pull the right side of it all the way to the right side of a 36" long tank.

That sounds like a great plan, post the pics when you do! Its always fun to rearrange a little bit until you finally are completely satisfied. I am really digging the mesh cover you made, I have been thinking of something to put on top of mine. I don't need any more jumpers. :angry:

That was perfect. Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply all of that. That really was the perfect answer giving that It answered all my questions without me typing it out :D

I try haha

That sounds like a great plan, post the pics when you do! Its always fun to rearrange a little bit until you finally are completely satisfied. I am really digging the mesh cover you made, I have been thinking of something to put on top of mine. I don't need any more jumpers. :angry:

Thanks! It was a must have on my the priority list of mine due to the reality that a lot of the fish I wanted were almost all jumpers!!

You can buy the screen kit at home depot (mesh not included)

Clear mesh with .25" holes work best for your lights and small jumpers (eBay) let me know if you want the eBay listing. The guy takes your tanks dimensions and sells you only what you will need, so you don't have to buy a huge roll that will sit around :)

UPDATE:

Picked up a cutey today after work at Aquatic Central! A 1" six line wrasse <~ in quarantine :D

It was an impulse buy as I only intended to purchase some Ich Attack 100% Natural; saw him and couldn't resist his colors~ lol

UPDATE:

Six Line Wrasse 1" in QT

7730786546_2059b9817b_b.jpg

Some kind of Starfish aka FOOD (ID please?), Pom Pom Crab .5", Harliquin Shrimp 2"

7737275610_4487065b55_b.jpg

Pom Pom using one of my Ric's as a safe house immediately once it landed to its new home lol

7737591012_66f3f85036_b.jpg

Also, found the MIA Blue Coral Banded Shrimp it was well hidden behind one of my rocks crevices and has returned to its favorite rock.

As for livestock I feel I am satisfied with what I have been fortunate to have been able to obtain such specimens at great prices. Done with livestock. Next I will focus on Corals and possibly be working on a new scape outside of the tank. :D

I had a scape in mind.

What do you guys think would look proper in my tank??

Deleted User 4

Nice! I use to have a blue harlequin shrimp. Had it for 3 months and then trade it for a red fromia star from the lfs because it was too expensive to maintain its diet...

Here's an old picture.

IMG_1533.jpg

Wow that is very nice! Really like the BLuE it!

Yeah I calculated that it would cost me $4.00 to feed it for 5 weeks.

1 leg per week.

And very nice pic what kind of camera and mode?

Deleted User 4

I don't remember since it was in my 24g nanocube when I had it...lol.

But anywhoo, my mother was also quite sad seeing me feed the starfish to the harlequin which is what also contributed for me to get rid of it.... :(

7751364630_83413903c6_b.jpg

7730783540_01f00860d3_b.jpg

7751360816_cbd23cd377_b.jpg

7751367124_dcbb459e25_b.jpg

7751365254_71d7ae4488_b.jpg

7761748810_e8c455a737_b.jpg

7761992420_41dcca2ef1_b.jpg

7761990060_760f1c6cfc_b.jpg

7761740914_3904381819_b.jpg

7761923950_21a45c5344_b.jpg

7761926284_a2a04ba393_b.jpg

My new inspiration [love the scape love the vid] I may go this direction. Bare or Sand = not sure.

glassboxdesigns

Planning to order new dry rock next week and play with some "architectural designs".

First signs of purple red algae growing, could it be coraline? I definitely have minor hair algae no doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliments!

Sorry no new pics as of yet. The display just went through the ugly phase of the GHA new tank syndrome or at least I think it was the ugly phase, either that or the deep red led's played a big part with the growth. Good news is the GHA is almost completely gone now and a new lighting system version 2 is in the works soon and dabbling with an aquascape face lift. Updates will follow.

Received a new refugium light today to replace the old CADLights LED cheap plastic one. The Finnex LCL-60 pendant w/gooseneck. 5w 60 LED's 52x 10K, 4x blues, 4x reds w/3 independent ON/OFF switches per each channel.

I'm also playing with this little inexpensive gadget to aid in moonlighting/accenting to implement into the next LED version 2 build. Pretty cool for what it can do and the cost is right on the money.

Just now snap shots

8061224121_4d0fc65a4d_c.jpg

8061223307_4353bd9cf1_c.jpg

8061222517_60525fe729_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes correct. tank is down - but its soul still haunts me everytime i visit N-R! ;P

thanks for all the help & support.

see you guys later when I am back!

Archived