Cultivated Reef

jT's 12G Long Nano Journey

jT415Gz

Bad move on the coral banded shrimp!! That thing is a fish killer. I used to have one.

uh-oh not what I wanted to hear!

Even the little blue shrimps (1")?

What banded shrimp did you used to have and what kind of fish did it murder?

Curious now.

Check this link. Which one?

More worried about the yasha then the two clowns being potential victims. Unless, the pistol shoots it first. lol whenever it grows it .44 mag

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

Well, if you have the blue one....I'm not too sure...but I had the white one with red bands...it was 1inch as well...it got aggressive in my 24g nanocube after about a month and killed my orange spotted goby... -_-

Had to give it away to the lfs for credit. Unfortunately, if I were you, I'd get rid of in sake of the yasha just to be safe. I'm sure all sorts of coral banded shrimps are aggressive but I'm not too sure either....

Well, if you have the blue one....I'm not too sure...but I had the white one with red bands...it was 1inch as well...it got aggressive in my 24g nanocube after about a month and killed my orange spotted goby... -_-

Had to give it away to the lfs for credit. Unfortunately, if I were you, I'd get rid of in sake of the yasha just to be safe. I'm sure all sorts of coral banded shrimps are aggressive but I'm not too sure either....

Appreciate the heads up IIX. I'll keep an eye on him even though he/she just lost both his boxer arms to the notorious MP10. I rigged up a custom foam to cover up the the openings a bit. Lets see if it helps any.

Update:

Received the Typhon Controller Custom Box made out of gray acrylic from the acrylic DIY Guru Sammie *much credit* from Puerto Rico. It has the wording "Typhon Controller" and "M", "S", "-" and "+" etched into the front panel for a pro look. This thing is the sh*t.

Original pic of Sammie's

7654228670_881c634c67.jpg

...and mine that I received today

7654230518_e35d9eb37d.jpg

7654228506_14933a0c58.jpg

Lookin' better each day. Can't wait for some coral/ine.

Right on. However, I always seem to find things that I see need improvements. Probably a common thing to go through in this hobby. :/

Well if it lost its boxer arms...then that's a different story ahah. No worries.

Yup that's right :lol: One less thing to worry about. It still has its pair of tiny parasite pickers to feed, so yeah.

Plus, my source tells me that these "blue" shrimps are the smaller type that max out at approx. 1.5" and are no threat to fish, esp. ones larger than it. I will still have an eye on it throughout August.

Had to get something new for hard week of work before the weekend UPDATE

Scarlett Reef Hermit Crab 1"

7663235110_3c54d3890c.jpg

Ever witnessed something scaling the rock face of a mountain with a refrigerator on its back? Well I believe I just did!

What do you guys think I should get as my last and final fish??? Need strong recommendations here.

I was thinking about a small Tail Spot Blenny due to its cool personality...?

I want something easy, small, colorful and has interesting personality.

Also missed the Reefcleaners delivery today, so instead received a Notice. Damn. So I gotta pick it up later today at USPS (thank goodness they are open on Sat's). I hope not a lot of snails perished due to this delay.

Got back from USPS which had dog sh*t where the front door is. Very nice welcoming I must say.

Received lots of extra lil guys. Acclimated them and now I'm keeping an eye out to determine the total survival vs death toll ratio. A few immediately dragged themselves to the surface. Why?

Q: A source of mine is selling Ricordea's 1-1.5" across for $12ea or 6 for $10ea. Would you say it's a good price?

7664690192_3d2486c2ff.jpg

7664691990_c183948c8c.jpg

7664693868_b40992de0c.jpg

He just said Ricordea's of different colors. Are there different variations of Ric's out there?

I might grab 6 or more. Still thinking it over.

From his list: "RICORDEA (BRIGHT ORANGE, PINK, BLUE, PURPLE, GREEN, NEON GREEN, AND TRI-COLOR) $12.00 EACH AND 6 OR MORE $10.00 EACH"

I seen them in person yesterday and they look like this assortment HERE

Deleted User 4

Ohh, it's florida ric. Yeah, that's actually about the right prices. Yuma ricordias usually go for more than florida ric based on prices but still is a fair deal you're having in my opinion. You should definitely get 6 or more for $10 each. One of each color.

oh ok I see thanks for the ID. Yuma's do look a little bit nicer due to their different shapes. I'll update if I get some Ric's.

Attached to rocks. Purchased 6 and some have more than a single mouth.

First introduced:

7674070600_795107c2da.jpg

24 hours later after 1st feeding:

7674068140_9279144203.jpg

I want to lay them flat on my main rocks and attach them with super glue gel. How do you detach them off their current rocks painlessly?

I think I witnessed one pooping out of its mouth, black stringy stuff that moves in the flow.

Some are showing a physical wavy shape instead of completely flat. Normal or not?

superglue will not work with mushrooms. if there is more the one mushroom on a rock you can split the rock and glue the rock to the main rock structure

nice tank btw,

superglue will not work with mushrooms. if there is more the one mushroom on a rock you can split the rock and glue the rock to the main rock structure

nice tank btw,

Thanks reefone - The issue is that the Ric's are larger than the rocks they are attached to so they don't lay flat and hang of the rocks' edges which look not as nice. I've read a mixture of epoxy and coral glue works "well" for bonding corals to rock? Hmm

Update FTS on pg 1. Please.

Yeah, probably time to update the FTS huh? It's just that since I added the CUC and have a bit of diatoms and algae on the glass, a new FTS will wait. I don't like how my tank looks right now with all the clutter of snails. But I will post a FTS in this post. Let me know what you think.

Dude, looks great man. Good buy.

Thanks IIX - Too me they look alright but not like "wow" as I expected haha. I don't like that they are on the sandbed but this is temporary for them as I have time to figure how to attach them to the main rocks. Plus the tank looks like crap right now. :/

Black background test run - what do you guys think compared to the white back??? I just dropped it behind really quick and took the shot. My 8MP phone cam sucks at taking true to life 1:1 pics and the led's drive it nuts. Please forgive the algae and snails all over!

7674387500_e40b464524.jpg

Deleted User 4

Yeah, I think the black background looks better. You should definitely hide the cardboard in the pictures haha, like you did for this one. Looks much better as if like there is no cardboard to begin with. :lol:

Ooooh nice ricordias!

I would chip them off the rock with a bit af the rock they are on still attached and then glue it where you want. There is no safe way to detach a ric once it had attached to a rock without harming it...plus they are slippery as snot. I keep mine on the sand bed...they don't like a lot of light or flow.

Yeah, I think the black background looks better. You should definitely hide the cardboard in the pictures haha, like you did for this one. Looks much better as if like there is no cardboard to begin with. :lol:

I'm letting it sit for the time being, but who knows? it may become permanent lol.

It sure makes the color temp a bit darker and contrasts the colors of the tanks inhabitants definely.

I will be swapping white and black back and fourth so we'll see which stays and goes. Slowly growing on me though haha. Yeah I agree, I should have it cover the entire back up to the lights since it looks better when taking photos.

Ooooh nice ricordias!

I would chip them off the rock with a bit af the rock they are on still attached and then glue it where you want. There is no safe way to detach a ric once it had attached to a rock without harming it...plus they are slippery as snot. I keep mine on the sand bed...they don't like a lot of light or flow.

Thanks got2envy - my very first corals haha. They have since puffed and colored up so I like them a bit more. They really glow under royal blue lights which looks pretty nuts. I'll note your tips, much appreciated.

Oh yeah one other thing which works best... Epoxy, Super Glue Gel or a combo of both? How do I prep for mounting them? In water or out of water? I'm very new hahah

UPDATE time:

Last night I heard some sounds *snap*snap* that I haven't heard before and it was coming from around the display area. At first I thought it was the return pushing down air pockets from the water surface. I ignored it and didn't bother investigating. The next morning during feeding time everything came out for breakfast, even my MIA pistol shrimp and guess what? His preordered .44 Magnum must've came in the mail yesterday because he was sure wielding it trying to shoo-away one of the dwarf cerith snails... or trying to eat it? Dunno, oh well its still safe and alive, so yeah, he got it his gun back and was guns blazing in the hood late last night. I must've heard 10-15 shots fired! This shrimp must be Gangsta' :lol:

Breakfast Time

7711004690_b867017100_b.jpg

FTS

7711526246_a76e2dafc2_b.jpg

Oh snap who's this? Mr. Tail Spot Blenny! What a comical personality and face belongs on Sesame Street.

Think I will order this guy a Barnacle Cluster so he can hang out. I've seen him eat the diatoms and algae of his rock/home. Didn't know they eat that stuff? He's not eating the other stuff I feed the tank though.

7711523764_4feafabe75_b.jpg

7711527528_20314d4fc2_b.jpg

7711530102_b7bb058104_b.jpg

7711534282_a8b6c94805_b.jpg

7711531382_694be96edc_b.jpg

Toadstool, Fungia, Ricordia's

7711536042_f40c0d98e7_b.jpg

7711540802_d69465aef5_b.jpg

7711538628_c4b421363c_b.jpg

Looking good.

For now lol

Thanks

mang those rics looks good, nice colors. I can't wait to get more.

Thanks - you should see them when they poop on each other lol - not so pretty anymore - eat and poop from the same hole errr yeah, no thanks. Other than their neighborly way of saying "what's up" they are one of my favorite corals. I want some Yuma's.

yeah..when i saw my duncan poop for the first time it wasn't too cute after that. haha. yumas would be nice also.

Archived