Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bella's 3g Pico

coachfraley

I'd try lowering the light. Everything seems to be stretching looking for more light. Otherwise tank looks great. Hope the new light works out.

The light is as low as it is going to go. The gooseneck is bent as much as it will bend. The light has been on for two days, so I'm still eyeing everything to see how it adjusts. The maxi-mini was stretching up to my old light as well?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few things..
I've got a 3 gallon JBJ Picotope. It's been running since August. I've got an AC20, a Tetra thermo-heater, about 4lb of live rock, and about an inch of a miracle mud/tahitian moon mix and a mangrove. I've never had a better, more successful, or more fun to watch aquarium. I haven't had any issues with it so far, not once. (Knock on wood)
I was just going to add that I've got a small Tailspot Blenny in there. Her name is Lucy, and she's seems to be the happiest fish I've ever had. She keeps the algae down to an absolute minimum; always looking healthy, always active. A Blenny in a 3 gallon can be done, as long as you start them small and keep them alone.
I attribute part of the success of my tank to the addition of a homemade ATO system. Stability in a Nano is vital.
I rarely have to do anything, except for feeding once or twice a week, and a weekly water change.

And for all you fish-huggers, don't hate; I plan on moving Ms. Lucy to my 30 gallon once she grows to 3".

And just an idea, if you ever have problems with that light, the WavePoint 8W High-Output LED Clamp (petmountain.com) has been phenomenal for me - I've got everything from shrooms to montis growing in my tank. But I will be trying your light on my next tank!

Thanks for the info on your tailspot. I wound up getting one for my 7g tank and I really enjoy his personality. I will take a look at that light if I run into problems.

I made some big changes to the tank. I switched back to the original light after I was able to find a good way to mount it. I wound up using double sided tape, and mounted the fixture to the top of my AC30. It sounds cheesy, but it actually looks pretty good.

I took most of the zoas out of the tank and moved them into my new 7.5g tank, which is going to be my zoa garden. I picked up some gsp, cloves, blue shrooms, and a yuma for this tank. I will take some pics tomorrow once everything opens up.

TeflonTomDosh

There is no fish yet, that is what I was planning...

Didn't even check the stocking guide (which I usually do). Guess I will have to switch to a goby.

yes! get a clown goby baby if you can find one, or maybe a rainford's or shark nosed. They're all VERY cool fish and can be obtained VERY small <1"

• 2 months later...
coachfraley

Any new shots of the tank?

Here is a FTS. Growth has been slow. I'm switching to mixing my own salt next week, I'm hoping that I see an increase in health. Also switched back to the beamworks 6x3 watt LED light.

3gfts06.jpg

coachfraley

My daughter likes the beam works light because she can switch it onto actinic mode and see all of the phosphorescence

blizzardscout2

I love the new glass tank. The rimless look is so classy, what fish are you leaning towards? Or should I say your daughter (after all it is hers :-) )

coachfraley

Thanks!

We just have a yellow tailed damsel in there. I know they are evil, but they are a great single fish.

blizzardscout2

Thanks!

We just have a yellow tailed damsel in there. I know they are evil, but they are a great single fish.

:slap: I'm the one on the right.... :D

Beautiful fish! I like those little guys. I once had one, but lost him to an abnormally hot weak that heated my tank to 88 F before I was able to get home from work.

coachfraley

:slap: I'm the one on the right.... :D

Beautiful fish! I like those little guys. I once had one, but lost him to an abnormally hot weak that heated my tank to 88 F before I was able to get home from work.

No worries, lol.

That is a bummer about the fish. Most of my losses in the past have been from disease and jumpers. Haven't lost one to heat yet.

blizzardscout2

I figured it out the hard way unfortunately, I then added a fan. Luckily my perc clowns survived. Now i have AC so its not an issue. Im sure your little guy will live a long and fruitful life.

Coachfraley can you take a pic of you filter from the top, I would like to see how you have it setup in the AC with the pad and sponge? Thanks!

coachfraley

Coachfraley can you take a pic of you filter from the top, I would like to see how you have it setup in the AC with the pad and sponge? Thanks!

I will when I get a chance. I run the stock AC sponge in the usual place. I cut the pura pad and just run it on top of the sponge. It works well because there are little tabs to hook the pura pad on.

• 6 months later...

Tank is approaching a year and a half now. I decided that the tank needed a remodel, so I pulled all the inhabitants out, dumped the sand, and scraped all the corraline off of the glass. Put everybody back in and everything opened up right away and seemed to appreciate the cleaned up house. I've never had a bare bottom tank before, but I like the look of it with this setup. We will see how it goes.

3gredo.jpg

Looks real nice, always good to get the kids involved. I can't wait til my boys are old enough to be able to have tanks in their room w/o making a mess of it lol

Awesome tank! I just started a 2.5 gallon that's been up for a month now but I'm going with bare bottom from the start to keep it easy to maintain. I was wondering what you had in there for a CUC?

This tank is an great! I have been lurking for a year and have not started a tank yet but this has inspired me. What is your routine if I may ask?

Archived