Innovative Marine Aquariums

Who's NOT breeding clowns?

neuwave

Its been cool to see so many people breed clowns but it's seems like its getting a tad old. There are new varities coming out, with more white, less black, more black, onyx, platinum, Wyoming, ice, and so forth and so on. It seems like that all I see now a days. I was offered a pair or platiums and black ice the other day and turned them known, I know I'm crazy but I wanna see something new. I guess since I bred my first clowns back in 97 they seem old to me. I should of kept them cause I had one baby back then with a mis bar onyx. Gave it away and never thought about it as being rare. Guess that's the mind of a high school kid when there wasn't anything "designer" back then. Lol

Anyone out there who has tried to breed anything else besides clowns? Maybe a flame angel, or any dwarf angel, or gobies, blennis, wrasses, filefish, puffers......anything.

Anyone? Please? :)

Hey Neu.... my picassos have not bred yet and I don't believe they will. I've had them now for well over 4 years and although they go "through the motions", no eggs. Maybe one is infertile? Oh well I still like 'em!

Many years ago, (back in the early '80's), I had a pair of neon gobies that laid eggs every 4 weeks like clockwork. But not much was known in the hobbyist world on how to raise the fry! The eggs would hatch and I would have hundreds of tiny glass-like slivers swimming in the tank. But after a couple of days, they would be gone, and the cycle would continue. Talk about frustrating!

Fast forward to a year ago and I had a pair of Banggai Cardinalfish that laid eggs and I got a couple of batches of babies that I was able to raise.

Happy to hear your cardinals are breeding. I have no doubt you'll be able rear them sooner or later.

Don't get me wrong I still love my clowns. But I'm ready for something new. My next project at the end of the year when I get me new tank, I plan to try golden dwarf angels and potter angels breeding. In totally stoked. Why? Cause no one else dares to try.

I love discovering new ways of bringing fish to the aquaculture world and of course the challenege. It's like my white whale of fish keeping. Ha ha

One suggestion if know someone with clowns with eggs, ask to borrow the clutch and place them with your clowns. The fish shoud react to the new brood and treat like their own. This can sometimes push your pair into breeding mode.

Thor amboinensis (Sexy Shrimp). Need to reach 26 dph, but 22 is far as I've gotten so far.

Video:

I can't stand designer clowns. Too pretentious. :)

Thor amboinensis (Sexy Shrimp). Need to reach 26 dph, but 22 is far as I've gotten so far.

Video:

I can't stand designer clowns. Too pretentious. :)

Nice, very nice. Have you raised them to adulthood?

Nice, very nice. Have you raised them to adulthood?

Thanks. It's only a matter of time. I currently have 5 successfully breeding females. :)

Hydroids took over my kreisel tho, so I'm sterilizing the system now. Should have it up and running again within a week, but then I'll have to restart the cycle. :P

I"m going to attempt to breed T.Tevegae, but since it will be my first attempt, and it's uncharted territory, I'm going to keep it strictly in the realm of fun.

Now all I need are the fish. Come on, mail man!

Awesome! I love it. Keep any thread posted as you get closer. Or at least pm me. Lol he he

Np. Incidentally, any idea where I might be able to buy keyhole limpets? There is an unspecified species that eats colonial hydroids and I would love the opportunity to experiment with any I can find.

I"m going to attempt to breed T.Tevegae, but since it will be my first attempt, and it's uncharted territory, I'm going to keep it strictly in the realm of fun.

Now all I need are the fish. Come on, mail man!

Hell ya. Good fish to go with. You'll have plenty of room due to their size. Make a thread when u get them. You have them on the way? That's sweet. You gotta take pics.

I was on the verge of breeding red spot cardinals but due to a power outage I lost 2 pairs. But I'll be ordering more soon.

Np. Incidentally, any idea where I might be able to buy keyhole limpets? There is an unspecified species that eats colonial hydroids and I would love the opportunity to experiment with any I can find.

Hmm key hole limpets? Not sure but I'll keep an eye out.

Candy Basslets please.

Ya man! Candies would be awesome!

But I have eyes set or potters and golden dwarf angels when I get my next tank.

Reef cleaners get keyholes in seasonally, don't they?

Yea, I'm really stoked. I've all ways wanted at least a pair, and since they change sex like Clowns I'm hoping that will aid in my efforts. I have to read up a lot before I can even say I have a chance.

A local who has an operation in house actually tracked down a quartet for me, all though I think I might go with a pair and let some one else give the others a home. He's having some issues actually getting everything in at this exact moment, but it should be really soon. I just bought a new Fungia to celebrate haha.

Reef cleaners get keyholes in seasonally, don't they?

Yea, I'm really stoked. I've all ways wanted at least a pair, and since they change sex like Clowns I'm hoping that will aid in my efforts. I have to read up a lot before I can even say I have a chance.

A local who has an operation in house actually tracked down a quartet for me, all though I think I might go with a pair and let some one else give the others a home. He's having some issues actually getting everything in at this exact moment, but it should be really soon. I just bought a new Fungia to celebrate haha.

Dude if I lived there I'd be all over the extra pair. Ha ha

I wish you didn't have to hah, lol, or :) on the internet to make your intentions clear. It annoys me some days.

Yea, he has a TON of LPS on the side. Right up my ally. If only I made actual money...haha.

In your opinion, should I attempt to get them breeding in my DT, or should I go with a breeder set up out of the gate? I'm more interested in keeping them as display fish with potential breeding on the side, but I understand you can't all ways get both.

I wish you didn't have to hah, lol, or :) on the internet to make your intentions clear. It annoys me some days.

Yea, he has a TON of LPS on the side. Right up my ally. If only I made actual money...haha.

In your opinion, should I attempt to get them breeding in my DT, or should I go with a breeder set up out of the gate? I'm more interested in keeping them as display fish with potential breeding on the side, but I understand you can't all ways get both.

Ya the lol and ha ha always out of control. But it kinda funny right now since your sig has the joker...Ha!

Anyway. If you design your display tank with the idea of breeding them, then it will fine. But if it's a mixed reef already you could start in dt and go to breeding. Until they start their breeding behavior. Once you observe their courtship, this will help you decide how to set a breeding tank. Basically to see how they prefer to breed. Once you have established the style of breeding it will let you set up a breeding tank to their liking. Such as cave breeders or mouth brooders or mid water spawned or any clues that could help you out. Then move to a breeding set up.

Now those are words of wisdom I can appreciate. I actually haven't heard any thing about how they breed, all though you'd think they'd be Cave Brooders.

I have my tank virtually stuffed with LR, each with a cave, and at least 6 seperate Overhangs. If they can't get comfortable in this set up, I'm not sure what my next move would be. Time will tell I guess, it's all theoretical until I have fish in tank.

Now those are words of wisdom I can appreciate. I actually haven't heard any thing about how they breed, all though you'd think they'd be Cave Brooders.

I have my tank virtually stuffed with LR, each with a cave, and at least 6 seperate Overhangs. If they can't get comfortable in this set up, I'm not sure what my next move would be. Time will tell I guess, it's all theoretical until I have fish in tank.

Exactly, if you can't find anything about breeding behavior. This is one way. Once they find their niche you can replicate that situation in a breeder. That way you can get the best of both worlds in a dt and breeder.

Sweet. I'll update with something more relevant when they've arrived haha.

Any one breeding Blue Assesors? That's another fish on my "to do" list later on.

My baby stars started breeding on their own once. Not sure what triggered it and it hasn't happened since. Kind of entertaining tho.

Video:

Happy to hear your cardinals are breeding. I have no doubt you'll be able rear them sooner or later.

Don't get me wrong I still love my clowns. But I'm ready for something new. My next project at the end of the year when I get me new tank, I plan to try golden dwarf angels and potter angels breeding. In totally stoked. Why? Cause no one else dares to try.

I love discovering new ways of bringing fish to the aquaculture world and of course the challenege. It's like my white whale of fish keeping. Ha ha

One suggestion if know someone with clowns with eggs, ask to borrow the clutch and place them with your clowns. The fish shoud react to the new brood and treat like their own. This can sometimes push your pair into breeding mode.

I've done bangai cardinals. I want to try some gobies and also a species of dottyback like the orchid. That will be my next trial. I am not a big fan of angels so I don't think I would ever try those.

Archived