SaltCritters.com

TKIY's PicoAquariums DB18 SPS-o-rama

TheKingInYellow

Deleted User 4
lol, just order a 3g Pico from Micro-Reefs as well. I think i have a problem.

lol, yes you do my friend....So now you have a tank from Chris Delicath and a tank from micro??? Wth man ahah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKingInYellow

My wife wanted something in the kitchen besides a Betta.

Not sure what 4 1W LEDs will support coral wise, but I might just go with some low light softies, shrimp and that's about it. Maybe a tiny goby like a Trimma.

TheKingInYellow

Things are slooooowly starting to move.

My RO unit is on the way, as is my light stand so I had best get started on building my tank stand and RO/mixing station. If only Diablo 3 was not eating up so much of my spare time :D

• 3 weeks later...
TheKingInYellow

GRRARARGAGRAGRAGRAAAA!!!! ANGER RISING!!!

My Apex is not going to get here for another SIX WEEKS.

TheKingInYellow
Shouldn't the tank be done by now?? haha

Slow and steady. Also damn kids and wife apparently need stuff all the time.

Deleted User 4
Slow and steady. Also damn kids and wife apparently need stuff all the time.

I mean the db18 by picO?? haha

Deleted User 4
Oh gotcha.

I think Chris is super busy right now. It only shipped on Tuesday.

Ohh, it was shipped this past tuesday??? Why didn't you say so. I'm sure there's a tracking number since mine came with one!! :)

TheKingInYellow

Yup, it's sitting at a depot in Pembina, ND right now, that's where I'm picking it up from.

Deleted User 4

Ohh mann, you're heading over the border and taking a day off to pick up the tank??!!?? Wow that's alot of work ahah. Looking forward to it. Did you get or make a stand for it yet?

TheKingInYellow

The stand isn't done but I'm out of province for two weeks starting next weekend so it's going to be end of July like I originally thought.

Also I learned that I should really check on my passport before making plans to cross the border. I totally forgot that they expire :)

I was lucky June is good until November so the tank, ATO, skimmer and MP10 are all here. I'm back on July 20th and will get going on the build that weekend. In the meantime I'm soaking my Marco rocks, and setting up a permanent home for my BRS RO/DI unit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
TheKingInYellow

Really slow.

Tank is sitting in the basement and I've got a 3g pico running.

Just needs a light and I'm not feeling the DIY. Maybe I can win that NanoBox that Dave is giving away!

TheKingInYellow

So I'm thinking I'll take a chance on the AI Prime. 18" x 18" should be perfect for it, and no real extra cost besides the light...

TheKingInYellow

So I did a quick evaluation of the gear I set aside for this tank.

I still have:

• PicO DB18 - All Starphire w/ Starphire cover
  • PicO Skim (OG v1.0)
  • Apex Controller w/ Temp Probe, pH Probe, EB8, Display Module
  • Apex Lunar Simulator Module
  • EcoTech MP10wES (old white case version)
  • Eheim 100w Heater
  • DIY LED fixture - mid construction and I have no idea what the hell I am doing with it
  • Tunze Osmolator (w/ big tub o' Kalk)
  • BRS 5-Stage RO/DI unit w/ 2 x 20g Brute Tubs
  • ~25lbs of Marco Rock
  • Big 'ol tub of Seachem Reefsalt (checked, still nice and granular and using it in my 3g)
  • Stand is already built

So really, I just need to sort out the lighting. I have the Apex w/ integrated VDM stuff so maybe a Kessil A160? Still like the pricepoint and features of the AI Prime too. Outside that, set up my SW mixing station and go to town. I'd even venture to say it's a pretty kickass tank.

The temptation now is to just scrap the tank and skimmer and go bigger and sumped :/

TheKingInYellow

Adding a Tunze 9001 skimmer to my light order, it should fit in the first chamber of the PicO sump. I worry about the magnets though, the sump has 1/4" glass plus the 1/8-1/4" of plastic that makes up the wall of the sump itself. If the Tunze had a clip it could hang on and I wouldn't be concerned.

Might have to give it a shot and hope for the best, or jury rig another solution if it doesn't work. I'll have the same issue with the Osmolator sensor, but that doesn't carry any sort of weight on the magnet so I'm not as concerned. A dry test of the Osmolator magnet seemed to work fine at least.

Archived