inTank Media Baskets

TKIY's PicoAquariums DB18 SPS-o-rama

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Yeah it's going to be a bit. My tank is still in Chris' hands and I don't think it's started assembly yet. I also promised the wife no water until we are back from our summer vacation in mid-July :tears:

But until that time I can sort out the wiring on the light, get my Apex programmed, build the stand, sort out the aquascape, organize the basement so this thing has somewhere to go, etc...

I'm a little premature with my build thread, I know, but i"m just stoked to get back into the hobby!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paleoreef103
Yeah it's going to be a bit. My tank is still in Chris' hands and I don't think it's started assembly yet. I also promised the wife no water until we are back from our summer vacation in mid-July :tears:

But until that time I can sort out the wiring on the light, get my Apex programmed, build the stand, sort out the aquascape, organize the basement so this thing has somewhere to go, etc...

I'm a little premature with my build thread, I know, but i"m just stoked to get back into the hobby!

Sounds like a good plan, oh avatar of Hastur. My town caught a charity performance of "The King in Yellow." It didn't end well.

TheKingInYellow
Sounds like a good plan, oh avatar of Hastur. My town caught a charity performance of "The King in Yellow." It didn't end well.

Well, the performance is never as good as the book. Have you read the book yet? Tell me, have you seen the yellow sign?

TheKingInYellow
good luck with all those leds and sps

Yeah I'm going to have to crank them back quite a bit, but I guess that's the advantage of LED in the first place.

The goal was to have a fixture I could move to a bigger tank later. Somehow I think this would have no trouble over a 40 breeder or half a 120g or something.

I'm bringing the light to work with me tomorrow. One of my buddies here is an electrical engineer and we are going to sit down and map out the pinout on the connector and sort out the Apex connection. If only my Apex was here!

TheKingInYellow

I got it from AliExpress and the specific light I ordered is this one. If you want to customize optics or whatever you can email Sam at the factory and he will take care of it.

$230 shipped. It's a steal.

Paleoreef103
Well, the performance is never as good as the book. Have you read the book yet? Tell me, have you seen the yellow sign?

Nah. After my whole town went mad and that stint in Arkham Sanitarium, I think I'll skip the book. I did pick up this beautiful "leather" bound tome written by Alhazred and translated by John Dee. I'm just a bit into it, but the stars seem a bit more... ready?

TheKingInYellow
Nah. After my whole town went mad and that stint in Arkham Sanitarium, I think I'll skip the book. I did pick up this beautiful "leather" bound tome written by Alhazred and translated by John Dee. I'm just a bit into it, but the stars seem a bit more... ready?

I was going to check that out at the library over at Miskatonic, but I've really got to finish packing for this Antarctic expedition I signed up for.

Paleoreef103
I was going to check that out at the library over at Miskatonic, but I've really got to finish packing for this Antarctic expedition I signed up for.

Good luck! I've got a trip to Innsmouth in a few weeks. Evidently, I have family there.

TheKingInYellow
Pictures of lights. That's all you have????? Get a move on!

:P

Not my fault! Stuff is not shipping fast enough and my wife is a cruel harpy!

I got it from AliExpress and the specific light I ordered is this one. If you want to customize optics or whatever you can email Sam at the factory and he will take care of it.

$230 shipped. It's a steal.

thanks man. im gonna have to take a good look at that.

TheKingInYellow
Good luck! I've got a trip to Innsmouth in a few weeks. Evidently, I have family there.

Try the fish!

TheKingInYellow

Boo, damn import black box no name driver has magical dimming control from space that's not compliant with pretty much anything anywhere. SUCKS.

No sunrise/sunsite and solar cycle for me unless I want to do a driver swap. Inventronics EUC-050S070DT should fit the case and I know it will support everything from the Apex. Do I want to spend another $140 just to get sunrise/sunset though? I dunno. Maybe.

Hey nice choices so far! ill be starting a Pico DB18 around the same time you are. How much did chris quote you for the tank with starphire?

TheKingInYellow
Hey nice choices so far! ill be starting a Pico DB18 around the same time you are. How much did chris quote you for the tank with starphire?

I can't recall exactly since we were talking shipping to Canada and a few other options (refugium light, starphire cover, etc...) Around $350 I think but don't quote me on that. Well worth it, it's a beautiful product and incredibly well thought out. I mean, built in algae scrubber, water level viewing window, three tier media basket. It's just a great system.

Following. When is it arriving?

Probably still three weeks out or so. Glass cutting was late last week and I know Chris is a busy guy these days.

TheKingInYellow

Yay my rock is arriving today! It's not the same as getting the tank wet but I can built my aquascape at least.

Need to get my garage shop ready this weekend too, get started on the stand once I finish my MILs butcher block that I promised her at Xmas.

TheKingInYellow

Well this system was going to be skimmerless, but Chris at Pico just launched an awesome looking tiny little airstone skimmer so I preordered one. Since the tank is still incoming it should probably be available at the same time.

So this is now a skimmereded system. Once it gets wet. Eventually.

TheKingInYellow

This waiting is killing me. I don't mind waiting for the quality of Chris' work, but planning a tank is not as fun as getting one up and running.

Updates:

I'm trying to source a couple of 20g tanks to build a freshwater storage/saltwater mixing/RO mounting station. I picked up a bucket of Seachem Reefsalt and have nothing to mix it in and no tank to put it in after it's mixed. I've also ordered a custom light hanging bracket from ModularLED.ca which looks to be a clever solution for hanging the lights. This weekend I should be able to start working on the stand as well.

This tank is rapidly turning into a 'black' theme. It will have the black background, black HDPE bottom, black light fixture on a black hanging bracket. Might as well make the stand out of paint-grade materials and go black there as well. Should really make the blue of the lights and the colours of the corals and fish pop.

TheKingInYellow

Ordered a BRS 5 PLUS RO/DI as well. I dread looking at my CC bill next week.

Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money...

TheKingInYellow

lol, just order a 3g Pico from Micro-Reefs as well. I think i have a problem.

Archived