Innovative Marine Aquariums

Keydivers 57g rimless "deep blue"

keydiver

you can go for the dimmable ati and that may solve your problems.

Very true jacob. Does anybody know if the dimmable ATI's can be used with the apex VDM module? If so that'd be a huge plus

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Very true jacob. Does anybody know if the dimmable ATI's can be used with the apex VDM module? If so that'd be a huge plus

I think that they can, it's a 0-10v signal if I remember correctly.

Ok, so do you think the 6 bulb would be pushing it? I will be keeping acans, rics, and zoanthids lower level, and sps higher up on the rock structures.

Much thanks for taking the time to post that write up

I think it MIGHT be pushing it. If you got a 4 bulb ATI fixture I am confident it would be enough.

However, the new price on a 4 bulb fixture might be higher than a nicely priced used 6 bulb ATI fixture. If the 6 bulb fixture gives you the option to switch 3 different sets of 2 bulbs on separately you'd be ok cause it would allow you to run something like all 6 bulbs for 1.5-2 hrs, 4 bulbs for 6-7 hrs, and 2 bulbs for 8-9 hrs. I hope that made sense.

I would honestly not run a 6 bulb ATI fixture w/all 6 bulbs on for a full light period over anything but either an all SPS tank or a very deep tank.

The cooling abilities of an ATI fixture should not be undervalued. T5HO bulbs will last up to 6 months longer in an actively cooled fixture than they will in one that isn't.

TEK fixtures are good, solid middle-of-the road fixtures but they don't have cooling and they can get hot, esp if the acrylic shield is left on.

If you're not absolutely set on the idea of a fixture, I know of 2 different good quality 36" T5HO retros, one barely used at all, and one used but in good working order.

Oh, and YW. It's nice to be of use. :)

I think it MIGHT be pushing it. If you got a 4 bulb ATI fixture I am confident it would be enough.

However, the new price on a 4 bulb fixture might be higher than a nicely priced used 6 bulb ATI fixture. If the 6 bulb fixture gives you the option to switch 3 different sets of 2 bulbs on separately you'd be ok cause it would allow you to run something like all 6 bulbs for 1.5-2 hrs, 4 bulbs for 6-7 hrs, and 2 bulbs for 8-9 hrs. I hope that made sense.

I would honestly not run a 6 bulb ATI fixture w/all 6 bulbs on for a full light period over anything but either an all SPS tank or a very deep tank.

The cooling abilities of an ATI fixture should not be undervalued. T5HO bulbs will last up to 6 months longer in an actively cooled fixture than they will in one that isn't.

TEK fixtures are good, solid middle-of-the road fixtures but they don't have cooling and they can get hot, esp if the acrylic shield is left on.

If you're not absolutely set on the idea of a fixture, I know of 2 different good quality 36" T5HO retros, one barely used at all, and one used but in good working order.

Oh, and YW. It's nice to be of use. :)

I thought about the photo period option with 4 bulbs. If I read correctly, the specs say that one switch controls 2 of the bulbs (for a dusk-dawn eriod), and the other four are controlled by a second switch. I don't know if this would be of value. I could choose to run the 2 bulbs for a dawn dusk simulation, then ramp it up to teh 4 bulb switch for a time, then have all 6 bulbs on for a couple hours. But that would mean choosing my bulb colors very carefully.

If I wanted a dawn dusk simulation with deep blue/actinic, that would mean that my 6 bulb photoperiod would be bluer than my 4 bulb photoperiod, correct? I'd have to make sure that the bulb colors gave a nice even coloration throughout the photoperiod, more or less.

It would require some thought, but it's not impossible.

One other option would be to have the 2 blue bulbs turn off when the 4 bulbs come on. It would actually be easier to figure out the bulbs if you did it that way.

I placed an order with marine depot for a bunch of stuff and went ahead and bought bulbs so that my shipping would be free.

Shweet!!!

I secretly love getting those boxes full of aquarium supplies in the mail.

Shweet!!!

I secretly love getting those boxes full of aquarium supplies in the mail.

It's such a great surprise to get over that middle of the week hump! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my atI 6-bulb fixture in today! I need to figure out how to install it. My EB8 is pretty full so I might just run it off traditional timers

Got my atI 6-bulb fixture in today! I need to figure out how to install it. My EB8 is pretty full so I might just run it off traditional timers

omgomgomg

Quick little update:

My new ATI fixture is installed. I still need to play around with the bulb combo a bit to get it just right, but it's definitely coming along.

Today I stumbled upon 3 vanderbilt chromis at the LFS. They're pretty hard to come by so I snatched them up without a second thought. They are now happily in my tank, still a bit shy though.

Also, last time I was diving, I got a mated pair of rusty gobies. They are so cool, they hang out under the ledges of my rock work and dart out for food.

I took some ricordea that I like from my frag tank and I'm starting to compile a ric garden. I still need to move them around to get them the way I want though. Everything is looking good, adjusting to the new lighting.

Here are some pics!

FTS 11/5/12

rics522.jpg

my selection of rics

rics521.jpg

cardinal and yellow coris wrasse

rics524.jpg

rusty goby

rics526.jpg

rics525.jpg

one of the three vanderbilt's

rics528.jpg

magicians

rics520.jpg

chongs bongs?

rics519.jpg

current zoa garden. Just not colored up the way I'd like it to be. Hopefully that changes with the new lighting

rics518.jpg

Nice!

Don't know what kind of camera you are using, but I had to play around w/my camera settings to get pics to show the coral's true coloration under T5's. I was using a Canon Powershot and discovered that if I used the "underwater" setting it really helped. Don't know if you have that on your camera but they use a little fish icon to represent it. Same on my Panasonic Lumix P&S.

Rusty Goby & Vanderbilt Damsel are cool.

Nice!

Don't know what kind of camera you are using, but I had to play around w/my camera settings to get pics to show the coral's true coloration under T5's. I was using a Canon Powershot and discovered that if I used the "underwater" setting it really helped. Don't know if you have that on your camera but they use a little fish icon to represent it. Same on my Panasonic Lumix P&S.

Rusty Goby & Vanderbilt Damsel are cool.

Thanks Lisa!

I'm using a 9mp sony cybershot, not very many features on it. It doesn't have an underwater setting unfortunately.

Sweet! what color bulbs ya going with?

I am going to try T5's on my 15g Z&P tank.

Right now I'm using 2 actinics, 2 blue+, one aquablue special, and one fiji purple. It's a pretty nice combo, but I think I want to change it around a little and see how it looks.

Well first off-clean you inbox! :lol:

Second I was wondering whether you have kept up with the Vit C? and how do you feel it is working as a source of carbon? You think it might just be expensive carbon or add other specific benefits? I was about to order some and thought well I best hear from you first.

Third I was sending you a PM about macros. Here it is since your inbox is full:

Well my rock is cured. Yeah! Of course that comes with algae. I have a CUC on the way from John@Reefcleaners. However I do have a bit much Dictyota unfortunately. They will likely not eat it as it tends to be unpalatable. At least it is a nice blue green color (though there is now a patch of regular brown sprouting).

Anyways I figure I need some macros to start competing with the Dicty. Obviously we've talked about the Patch reef concept before so you know what might be best. Anyways here is a list I'm looking for...not sure what you have in 'stock' right now.

Cymopolia

Halimeda

Rhicophoenix

Padina

Udotea

Red grape ie Botry

Spatula ie Avrainvillea

Let me know, also if you think something else would be of interest please let me know

Thanks!

Here's an update:

I went to a frag swap this weekdn, and since my sunset monti and spongodes are coloring up nicely under the new light, I picked up 6 more sps pieces for a GREAT price. I also rearranged the ric garden and cleaned up some frags on the sandbed so it's looking great. Here are some pics:

FTS 11/18/12

reefupdate032.jpg

Zoa garden

reefupdate037.jpg

CAR's

reefupdate035.jpg

Emerald grandi

reefupdate034.jpg

rastas

reefupdate036.jpg

God of Wars center have gotten 8 new polyps in the last few weeks

reefupdate038.jpg

overhead

reefupdate040.jpg

ric garden

reefupdate033.jpg

overhead- lots of sandbed to fill up :)

reefupdate042.jpg

clam and banghai overhead

reefupdate041.jpg

flourescent blue algae growing on my frag rack

reefupdate043.jpg

green hulk acro

reefupdate044.jpg

unidentified acro

reefupdate045.jpg

blue tenius

reefupdate048.jpg

red dragon

reefupdate047.jpg

reflection of spngodes (still bleached but coloring up quickly)

reefupdate049.jpg

Garf bonsai

reefupdate051.jpg

pink green-tipped birdsnest

reefupdate052.jpg

rusty goby

reefupdate053.jpg

cleaner shrimp

reefupdate054.jpg

my oldest inhabitant- had him well over 2 years

reefupdate046.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, this tank hasn't been updated in months. I think it's about time. Having a bit of a hair algae issue but I suspect it's ue to overfeeding PE mysis, and I've installed a GFO reactor to help with the issue, as well as adding an algae blenny. Many new changes over the last few months, I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

FTS 4/2/13

DSC01465_zps4ed3c441.jpg

Diagonal shot

DSC01463_zps5fc3d120.jpg

Side shot

DSC01459_zpsbe26ee70.jpg

Mandarin Goby

DSC01462_zpsc4066afc.jpg

Anthias

DSC01460_zps24a13d9e.jpg

Banghai Cardinal

DSC01453_zps43a4d8b2.jpg

Skunk Cleaner

DSC01457_zps136fd8e1.jpg

DSC01458_zps3763b1b4.jpg

Rusty Goby (One of my mated pair)

DSC01455_zpsdebd6a5b.jpg

Right Island Shot (Seasons greetings and ly seng cap, various zoas, ric garden below, hammer, and a few small sps)

DSC01446_zpsdc97d15b.jpg

Ricordea and Sunny D zoanthids

DSC01449_zpscb2342b4.jpg

Ric Garden

DSC01434_zpsf0fb3052.jpg

New Plate Coral

DSC01448_zps08ef3e07.jpg

DSC01433_zps7e1d2e40.jpg

Middle Ledge (GSP and Bird of Paradise)

DSC01443_zps1f039f65.jpg

Zoas

DSC01439_zpsc3a9e7ac.jpg

Magicians and Punk Rockers

DSC01436_zps415f1b59.jpg

Acro (Getting Bright green Color back after an ionic balancing issue)

DSC01441_zps3a682047.jpg

Deresa Clam (Getting massive now)

DSC01437_zps409861de.jpg

DSC01438_zps06557b39.jpg

Purple Death Palys

DSC01435_zps6413629d.jpg

The Anemone Corner

DSC01421_zps40e2cb96.jpg

DSC01424_zpsa4297605.jpg

DSC01425_zps2809e3b8.jpg

DSC01430_zps63b1a089.jpg

DSC01431_zpsb6be9caa.jpg

The Tank is on Fire!!!

DSC01447_zps9bf60208.jpg

Enjoy and Leave Feedback :)

Thanks Much!

Planning on getting some more sps within the next week or so. I'm hoping to keep this thread updated from now on.

Oh my lord. This is great. WOW! I really need to order some macros from you.

Thanks man, have you seen my macro tank thread?

Lookin' sah-WEET!

Archived