ReefCleaners.org

Keydivers 57g rimless "deep blue"

keydiver

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The aquascape on this tank is pure sexiness!

Have you been to Southside corals lately? They had a pretty good sale going on.

Yeah i'm good friends with him. He's a great guy t deal with. I was there 2 weeks ago and picked up the my clementine and a couple other things

got some nice plump nuke greens from Got2envy yesterday, They're acclimating now. Thanks Maria!

Glad u like em! I set up my fuge for the macros..gotta glue the blue scroll and pink macro down :)

Glad u like em! I set up my fuge for the macros..gotta glue the blue scroll and pink macro down :)

I saw! That pink macro should attach very readily. It'll grow just like blue ochtodes. Nice and bushy and dense

I'm on my 2-3 week of Vitamin C dosing, and all I can say is WOW. I've bumped my dose up to 1/4 tsp twice a day,a dose that should have my C levels at about 7ppm, give or take. I have seen exceptional growth out of all my zoanthids, and they're getting nicer color, slowly but surely. I think the lack of color had something to do with my lights as well, but I have bumped down the intensity to 25%W, 45%B, 50%RB. Here's what's new"

"My clementine" frag has grown from one polyp to 4 polyps in 3 weeks

"KO nightmares" have grown from 3 polyps to 8 in 3 weeks

mohawks are growing like crazy

WOW paly has grown from 2 polyps to 4 in 2 weeks

punk rockers have grown from 4 to 8 in 3 weeks

I did have my blue hornets melt on me, but one of the polyps is coming back, and they were on their way out before I started dosing vitamin C

I've noticed a large reduction in algae growth on my glass and rockwork, and my skimmate is much darker and smellier.

I strongly advise anybody with a dominant zoa/paly tank and a strong skimmer to look into Vit C dosing, I've had great results so far

Glad to hear you are getting good results.

Where do you have your punk rockers placed? I cant seem to find a good spot for mine, they open up but not all the way.

Glad to hear you are getting good results.

Where do you have your punk rockers placed? I cant seem to find a good spot for mine, they open up but not all the way.

I have mine about 4" off the sandbed with my 2 AI sols

I have nine almost on the sands, im going to try moving them up a bit.

What kind of lighting are you using? I recall them liking higher light

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just not getting the colors like I am looking for with teh AI sol Blues. I'm honestly thinking about making the switch back to T5's. What do you think? Any advice? I've got my AI sols set at 50%W 55%B 55%RB

I've just seen so many great tanks with a high quality T5 fixture, and the corals always look great.

I don't comment on this often, but I still strongly prefer T5's over LED's, and yes, I've used both.

While I do feel like LED's have enormous potential, my own experience & the many comments I've seen from others on problems w/faded colors lead me to believe that LED lighting isn't quite there yet.

That's just my opinion though.

This kinda bugs me cause I like Pico's and there really isn't any Pico sized T5HO lighting.

great progress

it's such a nice tank except the overflow on that tank is a little too big

yes, keep posting for more photo, we love to see more and more of this setup.

what do you plan to have in this tank as far as corals go?

thanks

I don't comment on this often, but I still strongly prefer T5's over LED's, and yes, I've used both.

While I do feel like LED's have enormous potential, my own experience & the many comments I've seen from others on problems w/faded colors lead me to believe that LED lighting isn't quite there yet.

That's just my opinion though.

This kinda bugs me cause I like Pico's and there really isn't any Pico sized T5HO lighting.

I do agreee with you. I would also prefer T5 over LED.

I upgraded my T5 light to LED a year ago and I have recenntly switched back to T5 again after 12 months of using LED. Nothing wrong with LED, you still get the good growth and pops but somehow there is something in T5 that makes them more colorful .

More color combination on T5 too.

I went back to T5 and could not be much happier.

I'm just not getting the colors like I am looking for with teh AI sol Blues. I'm honestly thinking about making the switch back to T5's. What do you think? Any advice? I've got my AI sols set at 50%W 55%B 55%RB

I've just seen so many great tanks with a high quality T5 fixture, and the corals always look great.

+1

I almost feel I have to much control with the Apex and AI Sol Blue and to many suggestions to be hitting the colors should.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i'm pretty much convinced to switch over to T5's. Now the question is, should I go with a 6 bulb Tek or an ATI sunpower? I will most definitely be using ATI bulbs, not sure what combination yet, I need to look at other peoples tanks and see what looks best.

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i'm pretty much convinced to switch over to T5's. Now the question is, should I go with a 6 bulb Tek or an ATI sunpower? I will most definitely be using ATI bulbs, not sure what combination yet, I need to look at other peoples tanks and see what looks best.

What is the depth of your tank?

Would the ATI Sunpower be a 4 bulb fixture?

What is the depth of your tank?

Would the ATI Sunpower be a 4 bulb fixture?

I'd probably go the extra mile for the 6 bulb fixture. My tank is 18" deep I believe.The active cooling an the ATI is a major plus though, as my tank generally doesn't drop below 80 F even with the led's.

I've done a decent bit of work w/T5HO and have found a common tendency to overlight w/it. I was even guilty of this myself at one point.

After a bit of tinkering & experimentation, I found that what worked best for my 30g tank was 2 36" 36w bulbs and 2 24" 24w bulbs. This allowed for lower light zones on the ends and I got great coloration in both macroalgaes & corals.

I believe that tank was 16" deep, and it had Soft Corals, LPS, several Macroalgaes and 1 Orange Monti Cap.

This is what that tank looked like at it's peak:

IMG_5233.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

ATI fixtures are unquestionably better quality than TEK, and most especially where the cooling abilities come in. Just try not to push it too far & overlight the tank.

Ok, so do you think the 6 bulb would be pushing it? I will be keeping acans, rics, and zoanthids lower level, and sps higher up on the rock structures.

Much thanks for taking the time to post that write up

Archived