Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skimmer required for cold water

gobyguy1

Just a quick question: Would a skimmer be required for a cold water tank that will get regular water changes (once a week) and is only 2 gallons? And if so, any recommendations?

Thanks

The temperature makes no difference. A skimmer on anything that small is a waste of time and money IMO.

Infant, I don't think they even make one for any picos.

It would depend on what you keep. If you don't feed, then no. If your inhabitants are less dependent on photosynthesis and more on feeding, then I would recommend that skimmer

AquaticEngineer

IMO you should never run a tank without a skimmer. Not that I love using them, but I hate not having one when I need one. More of an insurance plan then anything.

You can water change all the time, but when something dies in a 2 gallon and you dont come home until 8 hours later, you will wish you had a skimmer. I learned that the hard way. :blush:

On my pipehorse system I'm building I will have a Berlin skimmer or a Tunze or something that will be on timer opposite my mini fridge auto feeder. That way the food gets some time to recyle in the tank, without the skimmer taking it right out since I'll be feeding small amounts every hour.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

On our 2 gallon temperate pico, the answer is NOPE, not that I don't love skimmers but for what is housed in ours not required!

Our waters changes are done once every two weeks, very basic and that has been keeping everything stable and happy.

We have three fish in there along with the anemones and we are feeding live brine daily, the anemones are happy.

I need to spot feed them but I don't want them to overgrow our tank, they have divided several times already.

In our new line up AIO Temperate 4.5 pico, we are looking at a small skimmer to be housed in the back hidden from view.

Reason for running a skimmer in this size tank is we plan on overstocking it and pushing the limits of it's size, the skimmer will come in handy.

Hope this helps out.... :)

Archived