Top Shelf Aquatics

Obsidian 70–75% SiO2, + MgO, Fe3O4

NewZealandReefie

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NewZealandReefie

Here are some pics of the sad, laughable state of the tank today after I dumped everything in it to keep it alive and went the #### to bed.

It hit 11.15pm and I couldn't be ####ed setting the lights up.

All pics taken in sunlight only.

Yes it looks like ####. Yes the corals are brown. Yes the glass is dirty. idgaf

OSZHyh.jpg

gxg6dh.jpg

JeX8Ih.jpg

NewZealandReefie

It was an utter nightmare moving it in the rain. Just for lulz, here are some pics showing the house that the tank was carried up from, at night, in the rain:

View from near the bottom:

SAM_1170_zpse5839ee1.jpg

Looking down the stairs:

RoutineInspection006_zps73c8958f.jpg

View down top of path towards stairs:

SDC10258_zps3aa526d6.jpg

path_zps28699d1a.png

View_zpsf297c531.png

Tonight when I finally get home I'll hang the lights. Saturday I'll pick the sump up, put the plumbing back together and install the skimmer. When all of that is done I'll think about rebuilding the scape an sticking corals down.

Fun and games ahead.

Hey iball!

The small rock on the right will be removed in the next few days.

Very nice ....

Here are some pics of the sad, laughable state of the tank today after I dumped everything in it to keep it alive and went the #### to bed.

It hit 11.15pm and I couldn't be ####ed setting the lights up.

All pics taken in sunlight only.

Well does not look that bad after what you had to do.

NewZealandReefie
Christ alive, that looks like punishment for something.

It felt like it as well. Two days later my back and muscles are still achy lol.

Well does not look that bad after what you had to do.

Thanks Albert, I've thought that myself.

Lights went up over the tank last night, now I just need to program them. Will download drivers when I get home tonight and have a play around. For today they're on but just set to 'natural'.

Thanks Albert, I've thought that myself.

Lights went up over the tank last night, now I just need to program them. Will download drivers when I get home tonight and have a play around. For today they're on but just set to 'natural'.

Nothing to worry about I would say, they get cloudy and rainy days too with far less light than when the sun is out bright and strong !

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

I slept really badly last night.

Had a bunch of weird dreams, the kind where you're stressed so you don't really rest properly.

Why am I talking about this in my thread? The only dream I remember, I woke up to find that my Radion had fallen in my tank.

<_<

Had a bunch of weird dreams, the kind where you're stressed so you don't really rest properly.

Why am I talking about this in my thread? The only dream I remember, I woke up to find that my Radion had fallen in my tank.

<_<

those are always the bad dreams something going wrong with the tank

<_<

What ... is it damaged and is the tank OK ... and the live stock ?

NewZealandReefie

Yeah it's fine. It was a dream. Just not a very nice one :blink:

Woke up feeling all stressed n #### lol.

Coffee to keep me awake at work today!

Yeah it's fine. It was a dream. Just not a very nice one :blink:

Woke up feeling all stressed n #### lol.

Coffee to keep me awake at work today!

Ha ok the way I read your post it seemed like it had really happened ... :-) or rather :-(

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

I no longer have a decent camera so updates for the time being are done with my phone lol. At some point I'll get a new DSLR but at the present time I have a week long road trip planned so that's where my money is going.

FTS today, I finally got round to sorta doing a bit of scaping. Up till now most of the corals have been lying on the bottom of the tank. Water has partially cleared up and the skimmer has been busy.

Sly hanging out in the corner:

SlySly.jpg

Fanta in his frongspawn:

Fanta.jpg

Sump set up. The green under the sump is a piece of a yoga mat that I sliced up and used to level/sound proof in place of polystyrene:

Sump-2.jpg

This tank sits in the same corner that my first marine tank sat :happy:

WholeTank.jpg

Nice, loving the scape!

How do you find the dottyback? My LFS has a load of them in and I was considering getting one ... but I've read they can be bullies?

NewZealandReefie

Mine is an Orchid Dottyback.

Don't go near Magenta's. Orchids are lovely, I've had two and they've both been the sweetest little fish. Orchids have a black stripe up through their eyes and tend to be longer and skinnier than magenta's. They look quite different if you know what you're looking for.

I no longer have a decent camera so updates for the time being are done with my phone lol. At some point I'll get a new DSLR but at the present time I have a week long road trip planned so that's where my money is going.

Nice, even with as you say a phone camera ... I use my iPhone all the time and that seems to work out well in most cases ... `

• 3 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

Obsidian as it looked last week after I'd been away on holiday for 6 days and totally ignored it. In my absence my algae forest died off, so that's a bonus.

Salinity was at .030 when I got home but nothing seemed to care.

I don't have a decent camera these days so phone photos ftw :lol:

20121103_fts.jpg

20121103_clowns.jpg

20121103_Torch.jpg

20121103_Trumpet.jpg

20121103_brainsssss.jpg

Obsidian as it looked last week after I'd been away on holiday for 6 days and totally ignored it. In my absence my algae forest died off, so that's a bonus.

Salinity was at .030 when I got home but nothing seemed to care.

I don't have a decent camera these days so phone photos ftw :lol:

Wow even at that s.g. everything seems to look good. Guess the s.g.went up slowly and everything adapted to it. I would not bring it down too fast but then you probably know that

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

More crappy phone pics!

Random zoas

20121117_161645.jpg

Fanta

20121117_161530.jpg

My orange plate, that looks just like everyone else's orange plates

20121117_161512.jpg

Random sps

20121117_161359.jpg

Some rather cool zoas I bought last weekend, they were in an algae INFESTED 'display tank' at an LFS. The sales guy agreed with me that he might as well sell them to me even though he wasn't supposed to, since they weren't doing anyone any good in the display tank, so covered in algae you couldn't even see them... I'm pleased to say that in 4 days most of the algae has turned white and/or vanished

20121117_161335.jpg

More crappy phone pics!

Some rather cool zoas I bought last weekend, they were in an algae INFESTED 'display tank' at an LFS. The sales guy agreed with me that he might as well sell them to me even though he wasn't supposed to, since they weren't doing anyone any good in the display tank, so covered in algae you couldn't even see them... I'm pleased to say that in 4 days most of the algae has turned white and/or vanished

20121117_161335.jpg

So what did you have to do to get all those algae to die off ? Anything special or they died because of lack of nutrients in your tank's water ?

Archived