Cultivated Reef

Temperate Pygmy Filefish :)

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

Trying to get me one of these little cuties, or 10 :D

Max size less than 3 inches, gonna be roomies with my pipefish and lumpsuckers in the seagrass tank :D

666536792_D4FMt-L.jpg

Those are from the western pacific (Japan, Taiwan) right, not indigenous to Oregon?

They look great, and I'm sure they'll liven up the seagrass tank.

Have you ever had one?

The only ones I know of are great for taking out aptasia! Sadly they'll also start chomping on your corals once the aptasia are gone

If you can get them to eat...

AquaticEngineer

Coming out of Japan :)

What's aptasia? I know not of such things in Coldwater tanks ;)

They will be in a seagrass only tank so no corals to worry about. It has an auto feeder built into the closed loop so they will get small amounts of food every hour or so :)

AquaticEngineer

These are the Rudarius Ercodes "Whitespotted pygmy filefish" not the Acreichthys tomentosus or "Aiptasia eating filefish".

• 4 months later...
AquaticEngineer

Sold em all. Got one local guy that has one and may be breaking his tank down. I'm sure we can get em again though.

They were eating really well on small mysis. I even got to see them do this thing where they bite onto a blade of grass to secure themselves when they are sleeping :D Super cool little fish.

Good to hear they did well in a tank. I was hoping to get a fish that didn't cling or skip around on the rocks but would swim in open water & a goby. My tank is going to be more like 10-12gal with plenty of filtration, so a Catalina goby & a small file fish would fill the bill nicely!

Archived