Cultivated Reef

CUC One Week Time Lapse

Chrisl1976

I got my CUC last Wednesday for my JBJ28 and decided I'd throw together time lapse video of the daily changes. I figured with the major amount of GHA I had it would take a 2-3 weeks to get to this point where it is now. It is really nice to once again have nice blue sand under my moon light LED's. :)

Full tank:

CUC-TIME-LAPSE-1-1.gif

Left and Right sides:

CUC-TIME-LAPSE-SIDES-1.gif

Few more before and after shots.

Week ago

DSCF4992.jpg

Today

DSCF5026.jpg

johnmaloney

It is great seeing the dwarf ceriths take care of that sandbed over time like that. When you watch them they seem to be doing so little because they are small, but when you see the effect over time it is clearer.

It is great seeing the dwarf ceriths take care of that sandbed over time like that. When you watch them they seem to be doing so little because they are small, but when you see the effect over time it is clearer.

LOL.....I lost my awesomeness award. :)

Really is pretty cool to see the progress. The little guys just really knocked it down. You really don't see them doing much or even moving.

Few of the shots were from the same day (morning/night) Most were taken at like midnight each day. 24 hours gap.

• 3 weeks later...
Great stuff! What did you order?

20 Dwarf Ceriths---of course got a ton extra

9 Nassarius

11 Florida Ceriths

4 Large Nerites, 5 Small to Medium Nerites

2 Emerald Crabs

5 or so hermit crabs

I can not be more happy with the CUC.

The tank is staying 98% clean. They knock the stuff down as it comes back pretty fast. I'll have to upload the 2 week shot. Tank almost looks like the day I set it up. Actually the liverock is cleaner than it came to me. Some of the back pieces are almost pure white now. CUC has scraped off the dingy layer...Almost deep maroon algae is starting to grow on it.

Once I get fish in the tank, we'll see how friendly the emerald crabs are towards them. I may give one away to keep him fed. They have been getting digging a little deeper for food. I found them sitting on my Zoa frag and picking the algae off in between the heads. good/bad- :huh: --didn't seem to hurt the zoa's any, but kind of a scary sight to see them pulling stuff up so close to corals. They do get clumsy some times. :o

I got 2 emeralds for bubble algae. After they completely cleaned out my tank they started to pick on corals and ate about $30 worth of macros. Now they live in my pico where they don't have a lot of corals to pick on. They even stole a piece of silver side right out of my BTA's mouth! :o I don't want to completely get rid of them though because they did GREAT on the bubble algae.

I got 2 emeralds for bubble algae. ............................... I don't want to completely get rid of them though because they did GREAT on the bubble algae.

That is my dilemma is they did such a great job knocking the stuff down, if I get rid of both of them. I really dont want to have to buy another one if the algae starts coming back.

• 4 weeks later...
Chrisl1976

DOH!!!

You guys are so nice not to tell me I screwed up and didn't put right website address in the title to the time lapse. :lol:

Fixed now though!!!

johnmaloney

lol...thanks! Sorry we had to "revoke" that awesomeness award, a moderator's voice came to me and said "are you sure that isn't copyrighted"? :)

Trogdor447

this is great - i wish i did a little more accurate time lapse on mine.. but the proof is in the before/after photos nothing in my behavior had changed - I had the protein skimmer setup for 3 months and the algae was not gone. I got the CuC in from johny paid no attention to it dwindling before my eyes until i look at my photos from january - now :)

johnmaloney

They move so slow it is hard to tell the snails are doing anything sometimes, but seeing photos later down the road does a good job of showing off the smaller species, especially dwarf ceriths I think. You have all inspired me to get a time lapse camera too. Too bad you haven't inspired me to keep the manual handy, I am going to fiddle with it until I figure it out. SHouldn't be more than a few months. :)

Archived