ReefCleaners.org

My 22 Gallon Mixed Reef

Dr. Pete

I really love your rockscape. One of the nicest I've seen!!! Those flat rocks look awesome in the scape. The top down is great as well :) I hope you figure out what your mystery SPS is...it has amazing color!!!!

Thanks Gena. I received the rocks from Live Aquaria. I thought they gave me a nice selection. As far as the scape goes, I'm happy how it turned out. I probably tried at least 10 different configurations. Now I just need more corals and time to grow them out. I've always admired your tank as well. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Here's a mini update with only blue LEDs on.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

This one started out with just 1 head.

photo.jpg

It's a little blurry, but still looks cool.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

FTS FTS FTS *bangs fist on table*

Looks like everything is filling in nicely! Really like the scape as well. I love the dementions and clean rimless look. If only I didnt have a cat with exceptional fishing skills...

FTS FTS FTS *bangs fist on table*

Looks like everything is filling in nicely! Really like the scape as well. I love the dementions and clean rimless look. If only I didnt have a cat with exceptional fishing skills...

Bella, I promise I'll update this weekend. FTS and food pics :D

Hey CAD lights buddy. Nice work so far.

Thanks Matt. Your tank has always been one of my favorites. When I see your hammer, it makes me feel omgomgomg

I know I'm due to report an update. I've been keeping up with weekly water changes. I noticed that my nitrates were creeping to around 10, which is odd because they were measuring 0 for the longest time. That's probably a sign that I exceeded my bioload when I added my 6 line wrasse. I know 5 fish in a 22 gallon is too much. I'll keep up with my water changes and keep an eye on those trates. Over the course of the last 4-6 weeks I've been slowly removing some of my sand. I had 3-4 inches of sand which was really just a trap for all sorts of crud. Any time it got stirred up, the water column was filled with particles. So, I've been slowly removing a cup at a time and now I'm down to 1-2 inches. I've been siphoning the detritus as well with each water change. I replaced my old siphon with one that is better able to vacuum without sucking out the sand. The biggest problem with removing sand has been an outbreak of diatoms. The smallest problem was making sure I removed all the dwarf ceriths before dumping the sand. I don't want to accidentally toss any of those little guys. It seems to be getting better now that I'm done messing with the sand. I think things are starting to find their equilibrium again.

On a coral note, I'm done with my local fish store. The only have frags of green and brown coloration. They have beautiful colonies, but not good for a nano. So...I'm planning my first online coral order. I'm going to bring some much needed color to this tank. This will probably happen within the next few weeks. I'm still trying to work out what I want to order and I want to make sure my diatom outbreak has cleared.

I put my protein skimmer in the left back chamber and put some L.R. in the middle chamber. The middle chamber now has a healthy population of live Mysis shrimp (Identified on the ID forum) that I guess were a hitchhiker. I'm just not sure if they came with coral or rock, but they definiitely seem to be increasing in numbers. Too bad, they can't make their way into the display area. I'm sure the fish would love to hunt some live prey once in a while.

Pic dump

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

This mille is trying to color up

IMG_0021.JPG

Tank looks great!

Don't sweat the diatoms, they come out every once and awhile for everybody. Usually takes care of itself in short order.

Thanks Hallzoo. I appreciate the advice. I've been pretty passive about such things so far so I figured that I would just wait out the diatoms. I've got time on my side.

Hey what light stand fixture is that? Looks pretty neat.

It is actually DIY. A piece of conduit that we bent with a pipe bender and then spray painted black. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Thanks.

It is actually DIY. A piece of conduit that we bent with a pipe bender and then spray painted black. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Thanks.

I see, a job well done on that DIY!

I love your watchman its a female right??

You have beautiful girls!!

Yeah, my watchman is a female. I was confused for the longest time. My LFS said it was a YWG. I thought it was white because it was a juvenile when I bought it. She grew to a good side and stayed a steel gray with the blue highlights. She's still awesome even though she doesn't have that nice yellow coloration.

Thanks. My girls pretty much have me wrapped around their little fingers. We went out to Rita's earlier for custard and ices. We were taking advantage of the warmer weather up here today.

• 1 month later...

Love the setup! Any places in particular you wanted to order online from?

Thanks. I've been considering CultivatedReef.com, but I'm actually picking up some coral from awpong today. He's breaking down his tank and selling his livestock. Fortunately for me, he only lives 5-10 minutes from here. We'll see after that.

I was admiring your macro shots. Cool stuff. What kind of camera are you using?

I've had a good experience dealing with Cultivated reef. Greg will take good care of you. Hope the family is well.

I look at their site and I just want to buy everything. Good to know they get a positive review. Thanks.

Gramophone

I was admiring your macro shots. Cool stuff. What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks. A Canon EOS Rebel.

Make sure you take pictures of the new/future corals :happy:

I bought a few corals from awpong yesterday.

Kryptonite candy cane. Here it was last night.

IMG_0008.JPG

and this morning with feeding tentacles

IMG_0003.JPG

Big ass birds of paradise

IMG_0019.JPG

2 pieces of Chalice. This was accidentally broken when being removed from the rock. Hopefully, they'll both grow properly.

IMG_0011.JPG

He gave me a few freebies. Anybody know what these zoas are?

IMG_0009.JPG

photo.jpg

Protein skimmer has been hard at work. This is what after about 10 days.

IMG_0012.JPG

Nice pickups doc! That bop is awesome. Zoas are badass too, especially those red skirts!

Edit: holy growth!

Archived