Coral Vue Hydros

3/10th gallon bonsai pico with SPS

BigRok

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It lives! I've been really quiet lately due to the complete craziness of the last three months.

Sorry to let everyone down, but the tank only lasted a couple of months as you had previously seen it.

There is one single reason it didn't make it - anytime I did a water change, the tank overflowed onto my desk and it was making me cranky. The filter was just too big for the "tank" and I couldn't find a smaller one.

So to alleviate this, I ended up getting a bigger tank. 3 times as big! Behold the new 3/10ths!

348m1c2.jpg

This was when I first bought it a couple months ago.

Added a little live rock, and some frags I had found half buried in the sand of my large reef.

33c6brs.jpg

And a few days later:

fve2v6.jpg

About a month later all hell broke loose. We moved to a new house, Christmas happens, I bought my girlfriend a puppy and it consumes most of our time. I kept the tank going, but during the move, I forgot which rocks I had in there and put a different rock in. I think the frags I had in there are probably still in the bottom of the bucket I used to move everything, so I need to get some new corals. I'll look around the sandbed this week and see what I can pull out of my display.

And I might as well post a picture of our new puppy here as well. It really is a shame we couldn't find a cute one.

19bj3k.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Tank has been doing alright.

The glass (er, plastic) accumulated a bunch of algae, so I upped my cleaning schedule to weekly 100% water changes instead of bi-weekly, and I also clean the entire tank out then also.

I'll update with pics shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find any pictures from the last while before I sliced my rock a bit, so we'll take over from there.

The rock that was in there was jammed in pretty good, and there was no room in front of it for the fish to swim around in, so I took the rock out and cut it with the chop saw to make a nice flat back to it that pushes up against the back wall.

2psov2r.jpg

And here is the rock in the tank. The previous birdsnest and pocci were doing good, polyp extension was good but they were bland, brownish corals so I pulled them out and dumped them in my frag tank. Then I cut off some new tiny frags and glued them onto the rock here. Gave them a little room in case they decide to encrust onto the rock, which would be great.

M. Confusa

A. Tenuis - teal colored

A. Microclados "Strawberry Shortcake"

dxd54z.jpg

It's a pretty bad picture, I'll try to improve that in the future. The light is also pretty bad, it sort of does it's job, but not much light even though I rest the lamp right on the edge of the tank. I might go LED's.

Also in the near future, I think I'll DIY an arduino controller for this thing to control lighting and hopefully an ATO of some sort. Trying to figure out a way to do a sensor. I'm currently thinking a photosensor with a float guided through it via a channel, and maybe an aqualifter set to pump only a few seconds at a time. I guess we'll see how that pans out.

• 7 months later...

Archived