Cultivated Reef

3/10th gallon bonsai pico with SPS

BigRok

Islandoftiki

Wait, I know the answer to the top-offs. Temperate reef! Little to no evaporation!

No need to thank me.

Now you just have to incorporate one of those little peliter chillers into the HOB.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today I took a couple pieces of rubble and epoxied them together.

I used too much epoxy and now it looks kinda ghetto, but I'm hoping I can just cover it up in the end.

Also my roll of tape holding the filter up had it sitting a little low, so I replaced it with my headphone amplifier.

15gyv78.jpg

And a shot of just the tank. Consider this my first FTS.

14vrxxu.jpg

Yeah, the rock didn't stick with any less epoxy. I'll take a shot with my cell phone to give an example of the size of this thing. One frag will cover all that epoxy up anyways.

The filter is a Red Sea Deco Art Nano.

3077388330B.jpg

It's about ten bucks at any store. I removed all the media and the little filter pad insert. I may stick something in there, but really it's just being used for circulation. A whopping 16 gph circulation.

Get your cuc from reefcleaners. :lol:

rofl. I think for the first time ever, the dwarf cerianiths won't actually fit in the tank lol.

Also, have you considered a harlequin sweetlips for that tank? It looks like it would be perfect.

Also, have you considered a harlequin sweetlips for that tank? It looks like it would be perfect.

I was considering this, but I've heard they would bully my horseshoe crab population. I only have 4 of them, so I don't want to lose any.

gaberosenfield

If you pull this off you deserve to win something just for attempting such a crazy idea! This should be the new definition of an atto tank: less than 1 gallon total volume!

I'm kinda confused...is this a joke? It better not be...this is the coolest tank I've ever seen.

No this is no joke.

this is a real entry into the 3 and under contest.

OP. This entry is very cool. keep up the great work. and dont forget top ups. evap in 1 day in this would probable leave it empty. Would be very amazing to see a coral in there!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Islandoftiki
You really thought this would work for more than 12 hours? :P

I'll give it a go... I have one of these filters laying around. I'll stop by Goodwill this weekend and pick up a tiny vase. I'll stock it with some of my nicer majanos. It'll work. 100% water changes weekly.

I'll give it a go... I have one of these filters laying around. I'll stop by Goodwill this weekend and pick up a tiny vase. I'll stock it with some of my nicer majanos. It'll work. 100% water changes weekly.

I'm sure someone like Brandon could "get it to work" but the way he had it set-up was kind of silly. I get where he was coming from on ignoring the top-off in favor of 100% water changes, but that just isn't sustainable with such huge salinity swings every day. Why not just put a lid on it to cut down on evap? He was talking SPS too, not just nicer majanos. Not to mention the LEDs he was using were getting drowned out by an old 9W PC and not capable of keeping SPS.

Sorry if I came off too negatively. I just thought this tank is only as viable as the throne on which it was conceived.

Islandoftiki
I'm sure someone like Brandon could "get it to work" but the way he had it set-up was kind of silly. I get where he was coming from on ignoring the top-off in favor of 100% water changes, but that just isn't sustainable with such huge salinity swings every day. Why not just put a lid on it to cut down on evap? He was talking SPS too, not just nicer majanos. Not to mention the LEDs he was using were getting drowned out by an old 9W PC and not capable of keeping SPS.

Sorry if I came off too negatively. I just thought this tank is only as viable as the throne on which it was conceived.

Lol, I hear ya. Ambitious project, indeed. Honestly, something this small is probably better served with an airstone and some sort of cover to reduce evaporation.

• 4 months later...

Archived