Innovative Marine Aquariums

Eclipse 6

halmotors

skylsdale

If the intake is below the surface, you shouldn't be having any problems (e.g. closed-loop style). Although from the pic, I can't tell if it's slurping air or not.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you need to do it install a small overflow box over your drain. This will keep the water level in your tank constant. Alternatly you could turn the elbow so that it faces up more until the water level is at the level you desire. Lastly you should keep your dran line wide open and not restrict it at all with the valve, doing so can lead to bad things. Traditionaly people have a larger dran line than the return as well.

Jerome

parotkilah2

i would try increasing the size of your drain pipe. so if your return is 1/2 " make your drain 3/4 ". that way you are draining more water than you are pumping. that should help.. i'd also look into the overflow box.

halmotors

So far, the overflow box and elbow adjustment ideas are the best for the moment.

I've tried to find a valve that allows for fine-tuning, but unfortunately, they don't make those sort of valves in PVC. Everything I've found so far is made of copper or brass.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Carl_in_Florida

Can you explain what exactly the problem is? What happens if you do not adjust any valves and just let the water flow freely?

Is the problem that your pump will overflow the tank or does the level of the tank drop to low? There is an easy fix for both. If the water drops to low it is because of where your tap in the tank is and the elbow will help raise that point. If the tank overflows, then your drain can't keep up with the pump, in which case you either need to restrict the fow of the pump with a valve or increase the size of your drain. It is basically that simple.

Carl

halmotors

The tank drains far too quickly. I have the elbow pointing down...will changing the angle work?

*edit* I took the elbow off, and with both the pump and the drain valves all the way open, it gets to the top of the pipe leading out...and stops rising. The unfortunate thing is that it's slurping like a mutha, which is putting air into the water. Any suggestions for that?

Carl_in_Florida

The end of the slurping is a fine art. That is not so simple. Again, I have seen some use the elbow joint and point it to the side but you will have to see what works for you.

The overflow box is the best idea. Plus, you get a surface skimmer.

It wouldn't take maybe an hour to make.

fastredponycar

there are a few tricks to killing slurping. I used to know the website for a guy that constructed a PVC device with lots of little holes drilled in the pipe. Since there was no one large openign, the slurping sound was fixed.

sorry to budge in, but as I checked out the pic, is the glass table under the 6 gallon enough to hold it there over a period of time? Can never be too sure-- I am too about to make a overflow for my tank!

rutledgek

This may seem like a stupid question, but what about switching the output and return tubes. Put a sreen or some sort of verticle slat piece over the opening to break up the surface buildup, and use the smaller return elbow as a device to create water movement.

halmotors

I've changed the setup just slightly...I removed the elbow from the outflow, so now the water stops just at the top of the pipe. The unfortunate side effect is a massive amount of slurping...but it stays at a constant level. Would a screen over it help alleviate that problem? This was with both the return and output unhindered as far as flow was concerned.

halmotors

And I'm happy to finally announce that I've gotten it working, with a minimal of noise! I adjusted the pump valve slightly, and lo and behold, it filled up to 3/4 of the way up the surface skimmer, and stopped! And there it's sat for a good few hours now. It's not forcing a whole lot of water throught the tank per hour, but that's okay. I was going to rely on an internal PH, anyway.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered their thoughts and suggestions during this trying time...I love you guys... :love:

*group hug*

Alright, enough of that.

SylvioFN, thank you for your concern about the glass. The tank is placed directly over 2 metal crossbeams...the whole setup is on the upper shelf of my computer desk. There's no way for the glass to break, since all the weight is resting on those two beams.

Now for the retrofit light, an air pump for my skimmer, and one of Wet's auto top off whodingys, and it's on to LR heaven! :pirate:

halmotors

If you want to know what the setup looks like, just look at some of my most recent pics of it...that's pretty much what it looks like now, except I took the elbow off the intake.

Archived