inTank Media Baskets

Eclipse 6

halmotors

Okay, here's the pic of my Eclipse 6. I set it up a week or so ago, so it's been running itself through. I started with bagged live sand, and I'm waiting on a friend to get me some live rock.

DSCF0060.jpg

Any thoughts on the Eclipse 6 tanks? The lighting is obviously lacking, so I'll have to exchange that. Any ideas as to what to convert the lighting to?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much to comment on yet, as your set up is still a bit sparse. Do a quick search and you will find a few post about upgrading the eclipse 6 lighting

Jerome

Replies! You DO love me! :happy:

Originally posted by C Jerome

Not much to comment on yet, as your set up is still a bit sparse.  Do a quick search and you will find a few post about upgrading the eclipse 6 lighting

Jerome

Yeah, it's been hard for me to find liverock for it. A friend of mine is hopefully taking over someone's 100gal. reef, so I should be getting some pieces *crosses fingers*

Thanks for the retro info, John :) And I'll keep my eye on it, beaz.

Originally posted by denbigh97

I love sunflower seeds too! =D

Yay! A fellow seeder! Sorry about the pile of sunflower seed hulls...it must look like a damn chipmunk lives underneath my tank ;)

Actually, I had wondered about that myself, since it's reading that without any modded lights are extra pumps, etc. I'm beginning to think that it's reading wrong, since the water doesn't feel that warm. At one point yesterday, it peaked near 90 degrees, and it didn't feel like that at ALL. I'm going to try a regular thermometer and see if that's any different.

The tank is currently in my bedroom, which is a scant 10'x12'....and has one full wall of windows. It gets fairly warm in here, but not that warm.

Has anybody ever used the LifeGuard Little Time or Temp before? You can see it in the pic, and it's reading horribly high. I was just curious if anyone's had problems with them readin wrong.

I have the big temp thermometer and I think a cause a little bit would be that the sensor is right near the intake powerhead I am assuming but not for results that high.

Originally posted by sdbeazley

I have the big temp thermometer and I think a cause a little bit would be that the sensor is right near the intake powerhead I am assuming but not for results that high.

Good point! I'll move it to the other corner of the tank and see if that helps. If not, it could just be my room.

Alright, I moved the sensor to the front right corner of the tank, and so far, it's been running about 4 degrees leaner...which is a load off my mind. Here I was thinking I'd have to install a ton of fans just to keep it cool ;)

On a side note, anyone think a home made refugium would be a good idea for this tank, or is it just a waste of money?

welcome to the eclipse 6 gang. i put the 32 watt csl supernova retrofit in. its going to get harder and harder to find these lights especially because CSL went out of business but nonetheless this retrofit kit is very very lovely. careful using mag floats on these tanks because its a bow front acrylic tank it is very suceptable to scratches if u pck up even a dust ful of sand. over all a good tank u might want to consider getting a 40mm computer fanfrom radio shack. my fan and mon lights are currently being powered by a shared "nokia cell phone charger". gl and keep us posted. its good to see people join the eclipse crewski.

Carl_in_Florida

Do a search for eclipses in the forum and you will see all kinds of lighting upgrades. I am using the curley Q's but I will convert to MH when my bulb gets in.

Anyone with MH on an Eclipse how about posting a pic?

Carl

Okay, I finally hooked up two moon lights on the tank tonight. I used Hi-Light blue LEDs...can't remember what brand name, but I picked them up for a song. Here are some pics.

The Parts

DSCF0066.jpg

One Side

DSCF0068.jpg

Both Lights

DSCF0069.jpg

All Lit Up

DSCF0070.jpg

Any questions, comments, etc.?

I'd watch that LED in the water. other than that, get the temp under control, and throw some rock in there! You can DIY some if you want for now, check out www.garf.org But yuo'll probably have regular rock by the time that is ready.

Ahh, don't worry about those LED's they will be fine in the water. My roomie has three in his tank and they have been fine for over a year now. Find a good LFS, and buy about 7 lbs of LR.

Originally posted by birdman204

I'd watch that LED in the water

They're actually meant to be fully submerged. The packaging had some cock and bull list on it saying how it would actually increase the life span of your fish, increase incubation rate and yield of eggs, etc.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=...36&dept_id=%2D2

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=...50&dept_id=%2D2

Those are the product descriptions from Petco.com

Anyone have suggestions as to where I can pick up live rock by the pound online, and not end up paying through the bum for shipping? I live in Barrington, New Hampshire (near Portsmouth) and the list of LFS's around here is fairly small. Anyone from this area?

Okay, I tested out the LEDs last night...and they're way too bright. That, and they produce more of a spot beam that anything. So what I ended up doing is putting little caps of duct tape over the ends of them, so the light was forced to pour out the sides. This ended up making it cast a nice, general light, rather than a spot beam.

I attempted it with both LEDs running last night...and it was too bright. Not for me, but personally I thought the corals wouldn't like it too much. So, I disconnected one, and left the other where it was. Now it casts light down from the upper right hand corner....kinda like moonlight coming down through rocks.

I'm pleased as punch as to how it turned out :D Hopefully the rest of the tank is this easy...

And I'm still trying to figure out a solution to my live rock problem.

fastredponycar

welcome to the Eclipse6 crowd! Mine should be up and running 100% this weekend. I too ordered the nano retro fit PC kit (32 watts) from hello lights.

Oh, take the blue filter bag out of the filter. You'll have brown algae all over. I bought some chemipure to put in the little filter cubby. That out to work much better. I've also got about 15 lbs of live rock and crushed coral but i'll be taking the cc out and putting in live sand from my 30 gal reef tank.

When the PC goes in, your water temp will go up. also, grab a small powerhead to push water. My minijet 404

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dProduct=AS1151

should be coming in the mail with the chemipure and the PC light. I've heard it's an excellent choice for this tank because it generates very little heat. With the pump and PC's the water should be at a level that you don't need a thermometer. I could be wrong though since I havn't dealt with it in my tank yet.

Archived