Top Shelf Aquatics

Amjez's Midwest Ocean - New Pics

amjez

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shallow Tanks Rock! Im looking forward to see this one progress.

Thanks. I think so too.

Sweet lights, update photo with the new ai?

I'll put some new pics up this weekend. I need to figure out how to hang it. I didn't get the hanging kit... probably should have.

Look forward to seeing the tank lit up. How do you think the coverage will be on a cube.

I like your stand. Simple and solid. I actually printed out a picture of it so I can have someone make mine like that :P

Look forward to seeing the tank lit up. How do you think the coverage will be on a cube.

I'll let you know once I get this one hung up. I need to figure out what would be the best height distance between the tank and the light. I guess i can always adjust the led's as well. I don't think I will be running the lights at 100% with the tank only being 12" inches deep.

I like your stand. Simple and solid. I actually printed out a picture of it so I can have someone make mine like that :P

Thanks. I've never built anything like it before and that is exactly what I was going for... Simple and Solid. It turned out pretty good. I don't have much extra space, but it holds my 10 gal sump and my ATO resevior. By all means...copy away. I hope it turns out good and works well for your tank.

7819c24b.jpg

4ee1b85f.jpg

57f970aa.jpg

The Sol is hung. I'm not sure I like it this way. I'd like to try to attach something to the back of the stand and then hang the light from that, but I don't have much access to the back of the tank. Something I should have thought about before filling the tank up. I'll keep messing with it.

Of course, my iPhone picture is really blue compared to the true light. I'll have to take some time and program the light. I did try the thunderstorm feature. Kind of funny. I don't think I'll use it, but it's a cool thing to show off. My wife just shook her head when I explained what was going on.

Now to get a fish.

nice its either the ai sol blue in black or the 24in ati dimable t5

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. I feel like I have a lot of light spilling over the sides of the tank, but I really don't want to drop the light any lower. Your tank size would be perfect for the Sol.

Love the new lights.... What are you adding next??? :)

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out my stocking options. I'd love to get a blenny or goby, but I'll have to make a screen for the open top. I can't wait to start getting some corals. It's been 4 weeks since I added water. I can't believe I've made it this long without adding something.

That light looks bright.

Yes and no. The picture is from my phone, so the brightness is not accurate. On the other hand, it can be VERY bright if you wanted it to be. I've never worked with LED's before. I'm impressed. I find myself tinkering with the controller all the time.

My wife is a photographer. I'll have to have her take some pictures to show the true light this thing puts out.

Water parameters: week 5

Ammonia .25ppm maybe 0 but not quite

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 10ppm

PH 8.2

I can't believe I've made it this long without adding a fish!

Double checked my water parameters this morning and confirmed all were at 0 ppm and ph of 8.2. I decided to take a trip up to the lfs. I picked up my first fish ( clown fish) and coral ( bird of prey zoa). Both have acclimated to their new home nicely. Pictures to follow later this evening.

Still trying to learn how to use the camera. I'll have to read the photography forum. Nonetheless, here's a couple of pictures.

DSC_1515.jpg

DSC_1504.jpg

A diatom bloom started yesterday. It appears the fish may have started a cycle. Doing a water change now. The zoa frag wasn't looking so good. I have a friend holding on to it for a little bit.

Deleted User 4

Hmmm if the zoas didn't do so well, then there might be something wrong with the water? no?

Water change time? :D

Water parameters before water change:

PH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 20ppm

Salinity - 1.026

Little high on the nitrates. Could this be the reason the zoa wasn't doing so well? I bought some frozen mysis today. The clown didn't like the flake food. Probably why the nitrates are a little high. Correct?

Archived