Cultivated Reef

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

Haha Civic! I bought my mini dauchshund for the purpose of keeping her small and letting the kids torture her! She's my baby that never grows up! :wub: I can't wait for my clowns to really pair off. They hang out together half the time and the other half they're on opposite sides of the tank! :huh:

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha Civic! I bought my mini dauchshund for the purpose of keeping her small and letting the kids torture her! She's my baby that never grows up! :wub:

Here she is sleeping on the job http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=298035

:D yeah shes a lady magnet so I let her look all rough :D It gets annoying when i walk her and females are aww she so cute can I hold her, pet her, squeeze her...so on..then me I am like ok its 11:30 at night I just want her to do her thing..lol :D but I love her as much as a brat she is she does love the tank and watches it while i am gone (seen via webcam before she ate it) But yeah shes 3.4 LBS and gonna be 5 years old

I can't wait for my clowns to really pair off. They hang out together half the time and the other half they're on opposite sides of the tank! :huh:

Right now i think they are trying to pair they are always with each other and both are doing the whole lets shake till we float thing lol :D I have seen then on other sides of the tank but they are teens they eye each other and be shy a bit then best friends then enemies when its feeding time.

What was crazy was the o/w grab the b/w by the tail as soon as I put it in the tank and gave it a joy ride for 30 secs the b/w was frozen like a kitten when a mom carries it by the next it was crazy and cute and I was so scared at the same time lol

Nice pics! Looks like its on its way to being an amazing tank! I like the mushie island idea, I have some green rhodactus mushrooms that are spreading so fast!

Civic- adorable pup! There's a pic of mine in this thread somewhere!

I just have the Evil Step Children! :lol:

Bahahahaha! ;)

Nice pics! Looks like its on its way to being an amazing tank! I like the mushie island idea, I have some green rhodactus mushrooms that are spreading so fast!

Thanks! That rock came from Live Aquaria. Instead of moving the mushrooms I just made them a space. I should have put the green, blue, and red ones on there too but it was fuller when I got it. Some of the mushrooms have detached and gone to find new places to attach. I keep seeing little bits of them during feeding times but they're all wedged tightly in tiny holes!

Mushrooms are the weirdest things, some do great and proliferate some constantly stay pissed. Where in pittstushi do you shop for livestock, on miracle mile?

I tried Elmers in Monroeville and they sold me a frag with Aiptasia and then charged a 20% restocking fee when I returned it. After that I tried Seahorse in Gibsonia and they sold me the saddleback as a percula. I got my brain from Burton's Total Pet in Monroeville but it has some bubble algae on the base. The only store that hasn't screwed up so far is Wet Pets and Friends in the South Hills. They're really expensive though. $13 a pound for cured live rock and most of their corals are $100 plus. Even drags are $20. I bought my clowns from them but I think I'll stick to online orders for coral from now on. I do plan to get some more inverts from them since those are reasonably priced and they do bulk prices like buy 5 and only pay $10 instead of $20 or something like that.

Thanks! That rock came from Live Aquaria. Instead of moving the mushrooms I just made them a space. I should have put the green, blue, and red ones on there too but it was fuller when I got it. Some of the mushrooms have detached and gone to find new places to attach. I keep seeing little bits of them during feeding times but they're all wedged tightly in tiny holes!

When I first started out, I had the most amazing red mushrooms placed on the bottom left hand side of the tank. If you look at my tank now.....no where to be found. They all scattered :lol:

I'm hoping eventually they will pop up in a place I can see them. I think mushrooms really take a few years to settle in to a tank. There was a TOTM not too long ago that was almost all mushrooms. He said it took a few years to get to that point.

I guess we'll find out eventually :happy:

Yeah, the biggest purple mushroom wedged himself in a hole where he blends right in with the purple coralline. I can barely tell he's there and I keep trying to grab him with tweezers and relocate him but he closes up and I can't get him. Then my favorite green one migrated to the back of the tank and can only be seen by ridiculous neck craning. At least the cleaner shrimp gets to hang with him! :lol: I'm just really hoping my little red mushroom stays put because he's my favorite. I definitely want a mushroom and ricordea carpet covering the left half of my tank! :D

I tried Elmers in Monroeville and they sold me a frag with Aiptasia and then charged a 20% restocking fee when I returned it. After that I tried Seahorse in Gibsonia and they sold me the saddleback as a percula. I got my brain from Burton's Total Pet in Monroeville but it has some bubble algae on the base. The only store that hasn't screwed up so far is Wet Pets and Friends in the South Hills. They're really expensive though. $13 a pound for cured live rock and most of their corals are $100 plus. Even drags are $20. I bought my clowns from them but I think I'll stick to online orders for coral from now on. I do plan to get some more inverts from them since those are reasonably priced and they do bulk prices like buy 5 and only pay $10 instead of $20 or something like that.

It sucks when LFS choices are limited. I've done several group buys with friends in the area from online vendors, saves shipping charges.

It sucks when LFS choices are limited. I've done several group buys with friends in the area from online vendors, saves shipping charges.

Definitely! But there's a better selection online anyway and I've had good luck with the livestock classifieds here too.

My cleaner shrimp gets to hang with some pretty cool stuff too :lol:

Did your mini anemone ever make an appearance?

No! I can't find him anywhere! I'm trying not to worry yet but I'm anxious to get him back where I can see him!

No! I can't find him anywhere! I'm trying not to worry yet but I'm anxious to get him back where I can see him!

It's probably crammed itself into a tiny hole! When I first got mine, it hid as well. It will get hungry and come wandering out eventually :)

It's probably crammed itself into a tiny hole! When I first got mine, it hid as well. It will get hungry and come wandering out eventually :)

Good to know! I took a flashlight and looked everywhere but didn't see him. Saw my pom pom though! :D I checked my rear chambers while I was changing water and found nothing but some sand so he has to be hiding out somewhere in the rock. I flipped around the top piece of rock and moved my powerhead from the side wall to the rear wall. I also turned the return pump nozzle towards the top so it breaks the surface. Apparently that made my brain, Xenia, and red mushroom very happy because they're all puffed up now! Maybe the change in flow will encourage my nem and hiding mushrooms to come out and play! :lol:

Banshee, the tank is looking fabulous!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to see how it progresses through the summer!

I saw in another thread you mentioned you use arm-length dish gloves when working in your tank. Are they any particular brand? I've been using disposable plastic arm-length gloves that get holes in them way too easily. It'd be nice to have something I can use over and over and over :happy:

That's great about the flow change and happy coral :) I think aiming the powerhead at the surface is always a great idea. Helps with cooling and gas exchange.

Both of mine point at the surface. Never had an issue.

I hope your little nem shows back up....

Mushrooms the little weird things they do!

I saw in another thread you mentioned you use arm-length dish gloves when working in your tank. Are they any particular brand? I've been using disposable plastic arm-length gloves that get holes in them way too easily. It'd be nice to have something I can use over and over and over :happy:

That's great about the flow change and happy coral :) I think aiming the powerhead at the surface is always a great idea. Helps with cooling and gas exchange.

My hubby works at Home Depot so he picked up a pair for me. They've held up well this far although I've gotten a little braver with reaching in bare handed when it's just to adjust a frag or pick up something I drop.

The powerhead started to blow sand around so I moved it a little higher on the wall and things seem better now.

Both of mine point at the surface. Never had an issue.

I hope your little nem shows back up....

Mushrooms the little weird things they do!

He did! We went grocery shopping and when we got back he was sitting next to my green ricordea! :happy:

The brain has some bubble algae on the bottom and I don't want to see it spread so I'm going hunting for an emerald crab shortly! I'm kind of thinking about a peppermint shrimp too but the reviews are so mixed on them it has me worried!

Either one of the two can be hit or miss. Peppermint have been killers in Joel's tank and I have heard hit and miss on emeralds per everyone.

Either way I would go with the emerald crab but why not just take the piece that has it on there out, manually remove it and then preoxide dip that one spot?

Either one of the two can be hit or miss. Peppermint have been killers in Joel's tank and I have heard hit and miss on emeralds per everyone.

Either way I would go with the emerald crab but why not just take the piece that has it on there out, manually remove it and then preoxide dip that one spot?

I'm afraid to hurt my brain. I cleaned a bunch off a few days ago when I was catching the saddleback. Now it's back and breaking off and floating around the tank. I don't want it to spread so I think I'll get an emerald. I don't have a QT tank so chances are I'll get bubble algae and Aiptasia somehow eventually. I think I will just get the emerald and then I'll think some more on the peppermint. Its not like I have a whole lot they could damage right now either.

I like crabs, their cute, I would have one but I have enough silly Hermits that I don't think I could deal with the antics of another crustacian. :P

I picked up two emeralds and a green clown goby. I think my tank is complete!

Now I'm buying a frogspawn off someone here and then I'll save for another large order from live Aquaria to round out my coral selection! Yay!

New pics!

One of the emeralds:

biocubemarch25022.jpg

Toadstool Leather, Ric, Nem:

biocubemarch25021.jpg

Bubble Algae:

biocubemarch25008.jpg

Hermit:

biocubemarch25005.jpg

Happy couple:

biocubemarch25017.jpg

As of now, the bubble algae on the brain has been reduced by about a third. I'm not in love with the emeralds yet but at least they're doing their job so far.

Archived