Cultivated Reef

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

Boxer crab is another name for them.

Did you get yours online? The first one I ordered from Live Aquaria and it came with no poms!!!!! What a disappointment that was. They did refund the cost to me for that. My second one did have tiny poms but the two fought over them and nobody won. Now neither have poms :(

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boxer crab is another name for them.

Did you get yours online? The first one I ordered from Live Aquaria and it came with no poms!!!!! What a disappointment that was. They did refund the cost to me for that. My second one did have tiny poms but the two fought over them and nobody won. Now neither have poms :(

I got mine from Live Aquaria. I remember when you posted yours didn't come with them so I was worried but I guess I got lucky? There's one on Blue Zoo Aquatics in the WYSIWYG section with nice pom poms for $15. :happy: If I hadn't promised not to add anything else until April I would be all over him and some of the rics they have on there!

That Pom Pom is adorable!

I need one of those and a Porcelain crab, then I will be done with inverts! ;)

I want a porcelin too! I don't even need fish with all these cool shrimp, crabs, and such that are available! :P

Just get one or 2 fish you like as they are very awesome! And have a mostly invert tank! Ohhhh Get a Shrimp Goby and a pistol shrimp! Then you have a nice peaceful tank with a fish and Inverts galore! :D

Just get one or 2 fish you like as they are very awesome! And have a mostly invert tank! Ohhhh Get a Shrimp Goby and a pistol shrimp! Then you have a nice peaceful tank with a fish and Inverts galore! :D

I want a pair of clowns and maybe a goby. I'm not sure if that will be too much for my tank though. I'm setting up a JBJ 3G at my office and I'm thinking it will be all inverts and maybe a damsel for that something extra. :)

Just get the smaller Occ clowns and you should be fine for the 3 fish. Just keep on the WC and make sure to keep an eye on the Nitrates!

Just get the smaller Occ clowns and you should be fine for the 3 fish. Just keep on the WC and make sure to keep an eye on the Nitrates!

Of course! It won't be for awhile though. I want my tank to be full of coral first.

As an aside, Divers Den has some awesome pom pom and porcelain crabs for sale right now! If I wasn't on a no-buy deal with my husband for a month I would totally be placing another order!

Of course! It won't be for awhile though. I want my tank to be full of coral first.

As an aside, Divers Den has some awesome pom pom and porcelain crabs for sale right now! If I wasn't on a no-buy deal with my husband for a month I would totally be placing another order!

I am on the same order until we get the stand finished and this big baby on there. Then SUMP, ATO and more critters!

I'm dying to add more but I'm waiting. I want a nice stable tank AND financial situation! :lol:

3-9-12 params (after another 2G water change)

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0-0.25

nitrate: 5

calcium: 340

I dosed a little more calcium. I'll test again tomorrow.

Go with Salifert all the way. I love the tests, I have used API and Salifert and I by far prefer the Salifert.

API is fine for Ammonia, PH and Nitrates etc but if you want accuracy go with Salifert.

Thanks. I added it to my Dr. Fosters cart. I'll buy it with all the stuff for my pico once I'm ready with my plan of action.

On a side note, I fed the tank a couple pellets tonight and got to see my tiny brittle star HH come all the way out for one that landed next to his hole. It was hilarious watching this tiny thing wrestle a pellet three times his size down a tiny hole in the rock! :lol:

I have found salifert to be the best as well. Just be careful not to knock an open bottle over. I've done that one too many times...urgh :angry::lol:

I wish I could buy just the poms for my crabs. So far they haven't found any substitutes either. They must feel very secure in my tank and don't feel the need for protection. I guess that's a good thing :happy:

You'd be fine with 3 fish in your tank. I would stick to small fish though.

Thanks! I'll definitely pick up the Salifert test. Gena, I wonder if you got a mini nem or something if the crab would take pieces of it?

Welcome Paigee! My brain and my pom pom are my pride and joy of this tank so far. Definitely favorites by far!

As for fish do you think a pair of juvenile clowns and a goby would be okay? I know the clowns will grow up eventually but will they outgrow the tank? I'd love to move to a larger tank someday but there's no guarantees and I'm not sure my husband would go for it. :P

Awesome! I'll start hunting for a goby at the end of the month or beginning of April. Clowns in May!

Finally got my params back in line!

pH: 8

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Calcium: 360

Still need to get the calcium up a little but I'm jumping for joy that I can stop doing water changes every other day now! I was really starting to worry about keeping the nitrates on the decline since I'm headed to DC for the Rock n Roll Marathon next weekend. Now I can relax and run instead of stressing! :D

My cleaner shrimp molted last night. Hubby was freaking out this morning thinking the molt was a second shrimp. :lol:

My pom pom crab was eating the molt though. It wouldn't even let me remove it from the tank. Weird! :P

That's interesting! I've read that sometimes the shrimp will eat their own molt to replenish the minerals that have been lost. Maybe the pom pom had the same idea. He just wanted some extra minerals! :)

I figured it was something like that! I haven't seen any hermit molts since I freaked out over one thinking it was a dead hermit so I'm guessing the shrimp or the crab are eating all the molts. Saves me time so good for them! :P

I found my first copepods today. In fact they were EVERYWHERE in the tank. I almost had a panic attack until I realized my glass was covered in pods, not some weird disease! I did a 2.5 gallon water change and they all disappeared though. Not sure if they're hiding or if I sucked them all up. :huh: Oh well, they'll be back soon. Yay for growing free food!

Only bad thing is my candy cane looks like ish. Not sure what the problem is. I can see skeleton on every head, some are totally dead, and I never see the feeder tentacles even at night with spot feeding them. :angry: I emailed Live Aquaria and I'm hoping they'll honor the 14 day guarantee since everything else is thriving.

3-14-12 FTS (right after wc so everythings angry)

candycane048.jpg

Keep up with your params as your tank is young. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but corals are sensitive and expensive. Good luck and happy reefing. I like how you document everything :D

Keep up with your params as your tank is young. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but corals are sensitive and expensive. Good luck and happy reefing. I like how you document everything :D

Thanks! Still keeping up with it. Doing 20-25% water change every 3 days or so now. Today's params were perfect again.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

s.g.: 1.024

I'll run calcium after the hubby leaves for work. I won't bother with phosphate tonight because I'm sure it's still 0 with the water changes.

Archived