Pod Your Reef

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

Hey Sara. Having multiple cultures of different foods would be so cool. However none of these are needed for clownfish or gobies (most gobies) who are pigs and will eat anything. If you're going to set the cultures up then you can keep species that require extra care like pipefish, sea horses, mandarins.

She wants a mandarin and has stated this about 100x on my thread.

Glad all is doing well Banshee! Just let it ride now, once weekly WC and make sure you feed the BTA smaller pieces for now until your sure he is keeping everything down. Silly you tackling Nems but scared of clams!

I do like the mini-mini's wow. May be the only nem I consider! :lol:

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those are pretty! If I don't find one between now and the time yours splits...I'll definitely buy one off of you :)

Thanks for the pictures :happy:

I'm getting three of the purple martinis so you can have one right away. I just have one red/green one for now though so you'll have to wait for that one. ;)

She wants a mandarin and has stated this about 100x on my thread.

Glad all is doing well Banshee! Just let it ride now, once weekly WC and make sure you feed the BTA smaller pieces for now until your sure he is keeping everything down. Silly you tackling Nems but scared of clams!

I do like the mini-mini's wow. May be the only nem I consider! :lol:

I REALLY love your mandarin. I hope pod culturing goes well so I can have one! ;) I'll send you a mini mini when they split too if you decide you want one! Mine is a model citizen. Picked a spot and hasn't moved since and doesn't bother anything.

Oh wow! I missed the emergency but I'm glad everything is in check now! :D

Thanks. It was a stupid overfeeding debacle on my part but I think it's okay now. I'll stick to mysis 1-2 times per week and silver sides maybe every 7-10 days. I'm less worried about feeding the BTA than the minis since I want the minis to split quickly! :lol:

Cool. Just pm me when you're ready to ship it. Are they like $20ish plus shipping? I think it's so awesome that Lauren (Demartini) has some nems named after her :happy:

You might want to wait a week or two before shipping the one out to me since it had just traveled a distance to you. I know they are hardy, but don't want to stress it out too much.

Oh....feed them lots and they split, split, split. I had a nice collection of those before.

surgicalsense

Tank is looking sweet! Told you, you would love the lights. Not that you didn't believe me :lol: I wouldn't of thought of doing the 3 way splitter for the blues like that? I invested in the dimmer control as an additional. But maybe when I also invest in the RKL I can figure that out or ask you ....

I am still digging the minis ;)

Cool. Just pm me when you're ready to ship it. Are they like $20ish plus shipping? I think it's so awesome that Lauren (Demartini) has some nems named after her :happy:

You might want to wait a week or two before shipping the one out to me since it had just traveled a distance to you. I know they are hardy, but don't want to stress it out too much.

Oh....feed them lots and they split, split, split. I had a nice collection of those before.

Yeah, I'll wait until the weather is warm and stays that way plus make sure they don't have any pests or anything before I send one to you. Plus they're all three on one tonga branch so I need them to move off too. I'll probably just put them in my SW bin with some LR rubble and see if they move. Think that's an okay plan? I paid about $25 each for them.

Tank is looking sweet! Told you, you would love the lights. Not that you didn't believe me :lol: I wouldn't of thought of doing the 3 way splitter for the blues like that? I invested in the dimmer control as an additional. But maybe when I also invest in the RKL I can figure that out or ask you ....

I am still digging the minis ;)

I do love the lights but I can't wait to add another 12k/445nm module! I got the splitter so I can add modules on the same power supply/controller. I want to run the 12k/445's together and the RGB seperately so I can have the dawn/dusk effect when I get a controller. I got the dimmer as well but I'm running the 12k/445 at 100% so it's kind of pointless right now. The minis are really cool. I really hope the new ones will take up residence somewhere closer to the front so I can see them all the time. :happy:

The first one I got I can't remember their username. The purple martinis are coming from someone who bought them off Grad's thread in the livestock forum. Grad's minis split for this person and they now have quite a few but they sold me about half of what they have. I don't know if they would want me to say publicly who they are. But my plans are to feed them often and have them split so I can sell some too. Gena, SurgicalSense, and FlCandy have first dibs though. ;)

The first one I got I can't remember their username. The purple martinis are coming from someone who bought them off Grad's thread in the livestock forum. Grad's minis split for this person and they now have quite a few but they sold me about half of what they have. I don't know if they would want me to say publicly who they are. But my plans are to feed them often and have them split so I can sell some too. Gena, SurgicalSense, and FlCandy have first dibs though. ;)

COOL! :D

I am down when you have taken care of the other 2 girls. SO much going on I want to be ready for them!

No problem! I'm sure it will be a little bit before they start splitting! I'm kind of hoping I'll get some morphs since I have two different colors now! :happy:

surgicalsense

Aww thank you :happy: ... I am not sure if a mini is the right fit for my tank if and when the time comes though.

Got shipping notification and tracking info for my mini minis today! :D

Tested params when I got home.

pH: 8.0

Salinity: 1.026 (need to top off more often I guess)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

Calcium: 400-ish

dKH: 11

Did about a gallon water change to help bring the nitrate down a little. I know I don't want to put it to perfect 0 again but it's still a little bit higher than I'd like. Fish were coming up to the glass every time I approached the glass like, "Hey did you forget we need fed?!" So I gave the tank a half cube of mysis since I haven't fed since the mini cycle started. The corals were all pissed off and closed too so I put in a couple drops of phytofeast. Hopefully everything will perk up tomorrow otherwise I'm out of ideas about what the issue is. The GSP is still completely closed, frogspawn is closed, leather has no 'nubs', the BTA lost its bubbles, the brain had no 'fluff' at all, etc. I located all livestock and accounted for them so there's still no deaths in the tank. Not sure why it's so unhappy right now. :(

Almost forgot, the temp was 80.8 when I got home and it's usually 78.8 now that I have the LEDs. I was thinking that while temps are fluctuating here still we won't be turning on AC. To help my tank I was thinking about making RODI ice cubes and keeping them in our downstairs freezer so they don't get mixed up with tap water ice cubes. Then I could throw 1-2 in the tank in the morning when I leave and 1-2 in again when I get home. Might keep things a little cooler and would replace topping off. Thoughts?

Most likely BC of the spike and the water changes... Jmho

Probably. I turned the new LEDs down to like 75% for now too. I'm hoping that will help in case it was just too big of a change all at once with the mini cycle, new lights, new additions, etc. I'll ease it back up to full power once I see corals start to look really happy again.

keeping them in our downstairs freezer so they don't get mixed up with tap water ice cubes.

Wouldn't that be a nasty surprise??? :lol:

My tank is sitting at 82.2 and has gone to 84 with no problems. I don't concern myself with temps unless they rise above 85 which hasn't happened yet. I haven't had any issues.

Tank is staying around 80 for now. I'm just worried for summer.

Daisy polyps are still closed. I tried to attach them to the back wall but it ended up just being a waste of time and putty so they're back on the sand. The brain still isnt fluffy but it has little feeder fingers out so it must be recovering. I moved the frogspawn to the other side of the tank just to see how it reacts. Did a 2 gallon water change and now I swear I am done touching my tank until Saturday (well except for putting my new nems in). I'm going to see if a total hands off approach for 5 days will help.

On another note, I ordered clove polyps from PYA on April 10th and I still haven't gotten a shipping notice. WTH?! I wasn't worried about it while I had the mini cycle going but now I'm ready for them! Especially since my runaway Xenia is nowhere to be found. :huh: Guess I'll probably have a random forest of xenia crop up somewhere in the future. :P I'll email them Friday if I don't hear anything.

Oh, and after the water change pods were everywhere as usual so I sucked some up with the turkey basted and started a culture in an empty bottle. I'm excited to see if this works for me!

I guess that's my (long) update for now!:D

LOL well mine ran at 80 until I went open top. Now it stays constant at 78 ish.

Do you have fans in the hood? That would help but would also cause more evap.

LOL well mine ran at 80 until I went open top. Now it stays constant at 78 ish.

Do you have fans in the hood? That would help but would also cause more evap.

I still have the fans but I disconnected them when I installed the LEDs. I'll be removing them to make room for the third module anyway. For now I'm leaving the feeding lid propped and topping off with slightly cooler water twice a day. Seems to be working.

Careful removing the fans from the hood with the panorama pros. I actually replaced my fans with something more powerful. By keeping the LEDs cooler you will increase the life of them. Perhaps put some ventilation holes in the top of the hood to help. If too much heat builds up in the hood the LEDs will stat to burn out.

I'll add some vents when I put in the third module. Thanks for the heads up!

Got my purple martini mini minis today. Two look good, 1 doesn't. I hope it will perk up overnight. I'll post pics tomorrow.

In other news my BTA is not eating. Gave it a small chunk of silver side. I went to coach soccer for an hour and the chunk was still there when I got home. I took it away and threw it out but now I'm concerned the BTA is unwell. The mini mini I already had ate a chunk no problem.

I'll add some vents when I put in the third module. Thanks for the heads up!

Got my purple martini mini minis today. Two look good, 1 doesn't. I hope it will perk up overnight. I'll post pics tomorrow.

In other news my BTA is not eating. Gave it a small chunk of silver side. I went to coach soccer for an hour and the chunk was still there when I got home. I took it away and threw it out but now I'm concerned the BTA is unwell. The mini mini I already had ate a chunk no problem.

When was the last time you fed it? Sometimes they can be a bit more finicky. Or he may be having an off day.

Oh, and after the water change pods were everywhere as usual so I sucked some up with the turkey basted and started a culture in an empty bottle. I'm excited to see if this works for me!

Very cool! This summer I may try to cultivate some live stuff, too. I'm excited to see how it works for you :).

When was the last time you fed it? Sometimes they can be a bit more finicky. Or he may be having an off day.

When it puked the chunk that started the mini cycle. :( I'm very much considering rehoming it. Maybe I'll stick to mini minis. This morning it was wedged in a new hole and completely deflated. I hope once the lights come on it will perk up. If not I'm going to talk to the LFS and see if they will take it back.

Very cool! This summer I may try to cultivate some live stuff, too. I'm excited to see how it works for you :).

The tigger pods are doing great. The ones I pulled from the tank haven't changed at all. There may even be less of them than before. I'm going to give it a week before I consider it a fail and start over with tank pods.

Pics:

Green and red mini (old one)

oldnem.jpg

New minis:

newnems2.jpg

newnems.jpg

You can see how one of them is still pretty closed. It's even more closed this morning. I hope it perks up. :(

My BTA has attempted to commit suicide last night. This morning I found it in MP10, shredded to pieces, but still alive. I managed to carefully get it out, put it in a shot glass and back in the tank. Will see how its doing by the time i get home from work and do a water change, but i do not believe it will survive :(

And my pink tube nem is nowhere to be found for 2 days now

no more nems for me, at least for the next 3-6 months.

btw, 2-3 ice cubes will do nothing to your tanks temp. I throw 2 HUGE gel ice packs in ziploc bags into my newt tank during summer and they only last maybe 2 hours or so in a half full 20 gallon with no fancy lights or filtration. After that temp rises back

Archived