Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

Found another defect. Look at this picture here along the left wall 3/4 of the way back:

2d2m2.jpg

Small divot about 1/8" deep and about 1/2 the size of a dime right along the silicone line.

Will it hold water? Does it need more silicone now? Time will tell.

Here are admittedly crappy but closer pics of it:

Jn1Wp.jpg

eqOXR.jpg

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eheim 1260 does 635 gph wide open which is probably perfect for 3/4".

Running that through the 1/2" means 450gph for a loss of 185gph (29.13%).

*Is 450gph the max for 1/2" pipe?

*Is 450gph choking my Eheim 1260 thats capable of 635gph?

*Is 450gph enough turnover for this size tank with a 1" drain?

These are the questions I need help with. Thanks!

Got an email back. Called and discussed all these items individually with Eddie. He was pretty apologetic but that only goes so far with me.

I have to wait till his Durso with bulkhead and plumbing to come next Wednesday 3/14 so I can leak test the tank. Then I will make a decision on what to do. I did tell him that his return hole arguments did not hold water with me because I am not contesting the physics of it all...............I am unhappy with the lack of communication before drill met glass.

His offer of the bio-reactor is nice................but my custom designed sump due in next week does not have the room for it. I asked for a cash refund of a similar amount if I decide to keep the tank. He has to run that up the pole to get an answer for me.

I have to wait till next week to get all my materials to leak test this tank and decide if it is going back or not. He stated to me that after my tank dried it was filled and held water for 2 days before cleaning and shipping so there should be no worries about its integrity.

Hi, Anthony

The gouge - Its ok, looks it may have happened during the polishing process of the glass. the seams are totally sealed and water tested before they are shipped out so it will 100% be fine in its performance and is under full warranty.

We use and do all we can to make sure the tanks get there with no damage. foams dont work as well as cardboard because of the hard and sharp edges of the glass esspecially on the bottom where it is the heaviest. that is why we use cardboard. we also used commercial freight service to deliver just one tank to you. you can get a quote from Fedex freight and its a $700 shipping service we used for you. its the same service we use for commercial locations where the pallets are filled 48" x 48" x 96". this type of shipping service not much company would use esspecially for one tank. but for our custom made aquariums we use the best service available. getting there in good condition, that is the most important to us.

truthfully i wouldnt recommend a 3/4" hole for return for any tank that is less than 70G esspecially when we are looking to make the overflow box as small as possible. you will see when the 1" Durso pipe comes in (on its way) that it is much tighter than it is right now. the plumbing needs to have space and slack around it as to have as little pressure on the pipes as possible. 1" and 3/4" combo is used on our 70G systems where the overflow box is 11" x 5.5" and is designed to flow up to 1000GPH-1200GPH. your overflow design has a flow capacity of 700GPH-900GPH already and that is more than enough as you should be using 400GPH-500GPH for typical reefs. the dimensions of the overflow box is dictated by a)space for cabinet material b)size of flange of the bulk-head c)piping, connections adapters that will be used d)space and slack to avoid the plumbing from pushing each other too much. the overflow we made is as small as possible with still leaving some space for working on in the future.

Im really sorry about the black color. i looked at your invoice again and it did say you wanted clear. we were making a large batch of Artisan tanks and with the size the same, the builder built it the same as the rest of the tanks. this new Black silicone we have is top of the line and we were very excited to use it on our new Artisan II aquariums. would the black silicone be acceptable to you? if you are willing to keep the custom tank we sent you im willing to give you one of our newest Cell-cast Conic Bio-reactors. if not we will make another tank for you right away and send it out by next Friday and also schedule your current tank to be picked up before the new one arrives.

I understand your frustration with not getting exactly what you ordered.

It does seem that the more 'custom' you go with CAD, the less likely you are to get what you want.

That is unfortunate, especially since I do believe that they can deliver a great product.

I justified my personal frustrations with the fact that I couldn't get this tank assembled anywhere else at the price I paid. You shouldn't have to worry that your specs will be ignored during the build.

CUSTOM = CUSTOM, not what the builder thinks you wanted.

I was really hoping you'd have a good experience.

I will have decision if I am keeping the tank after I the bulkhead and durso to leak test the tank.

If I am keeping it also depends on the amount compensation CAD can refund me in addition to the $200 for the stand, instead of giving me the reactor I cannot fit.

Right now all is on hold till Wednesday.

New Video:

http://youtu.be/JuygrNeDe8M

Here are better pictures of the gouge/divot:

WPBjF.jpg

ezWdr.jpg

323lI.jpg

Here are better pictures proving the overflow box is almost level and the sticker backing is the problem:

RrX6q.jpg

L2bns.jpg

0zexb.jpg

LEX5f.jpg

This whole process has been frustrating. I gotta take the weekend off.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Please keep us informed on how things turn out. At least it does seem like Eddie is working with you to resolve the problem.

I am leaning towards a new tank. If I am having doubts and changing my mind every few hours

on if this tank should go back or not as it is sitting in my garage...........imagine my doubts 1yr from now in a newly finished basement, with 100's of dollars of livestock in the tank.

My main reason for the return is the gouge.

Questions going forward:

What will it cost me if anything to get a new tank (shipping?).

When can I have the new tank at my door?

Will this size overflow box allow 3/4" return like I originally requested?[

Am I just going to end up doing a 1/2" return to keep the overflow box the same size?

Omit the black backing as they cant seem to get it straight and it might peel over time and opt for taping it off and painting it black after I get the new tank?

Do I stick with my clear silicone minimalist idea or do I let them use their new black silicone that is supposed to hold better.

Sorry you are having to go through all this. I'd personally make them take this tank back and send you one without these flaws and to the specs that you ordered. I'm pretty reasonable and I know that mistakes happen, but this should have never left CAD with that divot IMO. The black backing is a pain, but not a big deal. Just a little hassle. I'd probably live with the return too. But the divot would be the deal breaker for me. Hope Eddie gets things worked out for you to your satisfaction. I have been following many recent CAD builds just looking for enough positive feedback to go ahead and order a new 100g Artisan II. I have not found it yet... Of course I do not like the huge jump in price I'm getting from Miracles, Coast to Coast and AGE, but I may just have to justify it.

Copy of email I just fired off.

Good evening Eddie, after careful consideration I am not accepting this tank.

The primary reasons are:

*Black silicone used versus clear*

This was clearly requested on the invoice, numerous phone calls and two separate emails of mine confirming in writing this detail on 1/31/12 & 2/14/12.

I am aware you are very proud of your new black silicone that will be used on the Artisan II tanks. This however was/is not how I would like my tank to be. I want clear silicone please.

*Gouge in glass at seam line*

You stated that it looks it may have happened during the polishing process of the glass. Silicone takes place after glass had been polished. This means that the person applying silicone to the tank had to have seen the gouge there at the seam line. For the price paid for this tank, this should have been noted and another piece of glass used for the bottom. Instead this was siliconed right over and passed along to me. Your statement that the seams are totally sealed and water tested then touting that the tank is under full warranty does not satisfy me. If I ever had a warranty claim on this tank it would be that the gouge noted today compromised the integrity of the tank with its position right on the seam line. Your warranty will not help me at that time recover loss of livestock in the tank or further more importantly any damage to my home.

In your email on Friday March 9th you stated that "we will make another tank for you right away and send it out by next Friday and also schedule your current tank to be picked up before the new one arrives." I am taking you up on that offer and I will be calling Monday 3/12/12 to finalize details of the replacement tank and get information on when it will be built/delivered. We will discuss exactly how I want this build and I will memorialize our discussion with an email to follow further confirming the work order to be placed in the hands of the person putting the tank together.

I hope your attention to detail on this next build will be on par accordingly with what a custom spec'd and priced tank should be.

Thanks

--

Anthony J. Giovannone

Looking @ Week 2 of Cycle

The rock is in two different bins each with a powerhead and a heater.

They are also covered to minimize evaporation.

One has about 10lbs more rock then the other.

nBpLi.jpg

Wow twan I would be extremely upset about a custom tank not being to the specs I ordered. I hope everything works out for you. Looking forward to seeing this tank together!

Wow twan I would be extremely upset about a custom tank not being to the specs I ordered. I hope everything works out for you. Looking forward to seeing this tank together!

Thanks for the kind words. I was very frustrated about all of this for the bulk of the weekend.

Finally last night I made up my mind, fired off that email, and will be calling today to get the new tank build started.

I had everything lined up with a certain time frame to have this all set up before the end of the month when my wife is due. Things happen though and it will all work out in the end................it will just take me a bit longer.

I must say that overflow scares me. The notches were the water goes through or teeth are too thin and have that must be compensate with more quantity but this has very few. I'm wondering if you ever go to 3/4" to install a bigger pump that overflow will actually handle the amount of water the pump is pushing.

I made my own overflow for my 40breeder. It has ten 3/8" x 1" notches (not 1/4" x 1" like the usual) and it is maxed out at almost overflowing the tank with my little giant MDQ2 (800gph)

Make sure they are not making you a 500 max GPH overflow in your new tank. Hope everything turns out good this time. They really should treat you and the tank like a Custom one, cause otherwise you would have just buy one of their of the shelf aquariums and you're paying for specs and details.

I must say that overflow scares me. The notches were the water goes through or teeth are too thin and have that must be compensate with more quantity but this has very few. I'm wondering if you ever go to 3/4" to install a bigger pump that overflow will actually handle the amount of water the pump is pushing.

I made my own overflow for my 40breeder. It has ten 3/8" x 1" notches (not 1/4" x 1" like the usual) and it is maxed out at almost overflowing the tank with my little giant MDQ2 (800gph)

Make sure they are not making you a 500 max GPH overflow in your new tank. Hope everything turns out good this time. They really should treat you and the tank like a Custom one, cause otherwise you would have just buy one of their of the shelf aquariums and you're paying for specs and details.

I see what you are saying.

The way I wanted the overflow leaves me with only really 1.5 sides where it can pull water in from. Well maybe even less since the my return hole exits through the wall for aesthetic reasons taking away space from having more teeth.

According to CADLIGHTS my overflow design has a flow capacity of 700GPH-900GPH using the 1/2" return and 1" drain as seen in the pictures.

I am using an Eheim 1260 that is rated for 635GHP at zero head.

Maybe I should be keeping a 1/2" return and calling it a day since for 3/4" return that overflow box would have to grow in size.............and the box still might not keep up with what I am pumping up into the display. Though I will have a gate valve on the return to dial it back if need be. This is my 1st sump and drilled tank. Feel free to hold my hand and talk to me like an idiot through this. Thanks LoL!

Spoke with Eddie last night, new tank will be built this Wednesday 3/14 and ship next Wednesday 3/21.

The new tank will still keep a 1" drain and a 1/2" return but will be with clear silicone with a higher attention to detail in fit/finish as it should have been from the beginning. I will not pay new shipping or any charges to actually coordinate and ship the old back.

Actually if anyone is interested locally in the black silicone tank I have now $300 picked up takes it.

Looking @ Completed Sump

Tyler really did a nice job here. Communication has been top notch. He has addressed all my concerns and was flexible. Highly recommended. The unit came yesterday 3/12/12.

This is the way an item should be crafted and shipped. Everything fits and is spec'd exactly as ordered.

Kinda makes me wish I had Tyler make me an acrylic display tank to go with this sump and skipped all the CADlights business.

Less talk, more pictures.

ONyp5.jpg

4GLmT.jpg

1QuUU.jpg

PGIg8.jpg

InWml.jpg

qMvGV.jpg

9dWsS.jpg

dB8QY.jpg

vsZUq.jpg

3RsP4.jpg

Looking @ Unanswered Questions II

Sand

I have 40lbs of Arag-Alive Special Grade Sandsitting in their original bags. I have two 20g tubs that are currently cycling my rock. Should I leave the sand in its bags until it goes into the display with the (almost fully) cycled rock? Do I add it to my cycling containers now? Do I rinse the sand at all?

Heat

How does the apex control heaters? Do I crank both my heaters up all the way and let the apex turn them on and off or do I set them at the desired temp and let the apex turn them on and off. Will the think rubber retainers supplied to hold the heaters in their brackets be subject to melting sitting right on the heater element?

Flow

Will an Eheim 1260 return rated at 635gph @ zero head and one MP10wes powerhead be enough? Time will tell.

phi delt reefer
Looking @ Unanswered Questions II

Sand

I have 40lbs of Arag-Alive Special Grade Sandsitting in their original bags. I have two 20g tubs that are currently cycling my rock. Should I leave the sand in its bags until it goes into the display with the (almost fully) cycled rock? Do I add it to my cycling containers now? Do I rinse the sand at all?

Heat

How does the apex control heaters? Do I crank both my heaters up all the way and let the apex turn them on and off or do I set them at the desired temp and let the apex turn them on and off. Will the think rubber retainers supplied to hold the heaters in their brackets be subject to melting sitting right on the heater element?

Flow

Will an Eheim 1260 return rated at 635gph @ zero head and one MP10wes powerhead be enough? Time will tell.

live sand is a scam but you've already bought it so you might as well use it.If you rinse it you will kill off whatever live stuff is on there (if there is anything). Add it to the display tank and keep an eye of out for a mini cycle just in case. I would let the rocks and sand sit in the tank for a month before adding any livestock. Slow and steady wins the race.

you set you heaters to the temp you want your tank to be +1 degree AND you set your APEX to the exact temp you want your tank at. If you max them out and the controllers fails in the on position you will boil your tank.

you should only use your return pump for system turn over...not flow. If you surge water through your sump at high speeds your filtration will never have a chance to clear the water before it returns to the tank. Remember your reactors process water at like 100-200gph and your skimmer will process about 200-300gph. You only need 3-5x system turnover. 300gph after head loss would be perfect for your system. Use powerheads and closed loops for flow - not your filtration system.

how much did you pay for that sump?

what is the acrylic thickness/overall dimensions?

stick to your guns! get what you asked for, and JUST THAT. hopefully you paid with a credit card and if they cannot fulfill your order as requested, get the charges reversed and it's up to them to get their merchandise back.

Thanks for your feedback on sand/heater/flow phi delt reefer.

The sump cost varies depending on your design.

Mine is modeled after their Model 2 Sump but is made to my measurements 30x15x15 and has an integrated ATO chamber. For the prices stated you get an amazing product. I didn't want to go through 2+ sumps in the lifetime of my tank like most reefers do so I went with something custom right from the start.

The only thing I did not add was chambers for kalk or any other dosing methods. I am not sure if I am going that route.

stick to your guns! get what you asked for, and JUST THAT. hopefully you paid with a credit card and if they cannot fulfill your order as requested, get the charges reversed and it's up to them to get their merchandise back.

For sure, the last convo I with CadLights went smoother then normal last night.

I think they have seen this thread and the thread on my local reefing site.

Few people were about to order from CAD but are waiting to see how they handle me 1st.

The CADlights Durso should be here today as well as my BRS order containing all my SCH80 plumbing and DIY screen netting kit for the top.

Thanks for your feedback on sand/heater/flow phi delt reefer.

The sump cost varies depending on your design.

Mine is modeled after their Model 2 Sump but is made to my measurements 30x15x15 and has an integrated ATO chamber. For the prices stated you get an amazing product. I didn't want to go through 2+ sumps in the lifetime of my tank like most reefers do so I went with something custom right from the start.

The only thing I did not add was chambers for kalk or any other dosing methods. I am not sure if I am going that route.

For sure, the last convo I with CadLights went smoother then normal last night.

I think they have seen this thread and the thread on my local reefing site.

Few people were about to order from CAD but are waiting to see how they handle me 1st.

Yes, Cadlights does keep an eye on threads about their tanks. I found out through an e-mail where Eddie gave me thanks for the positive review, despite the fact that I didn't even mention the forum nor the thread to him before hand.

It makes sense and I think it is good that a company is concerned enough about the community and their product that they check out what people are saying about it...and what better place than the forums?

Looking @ Completed Sump

Tyler really did a nice job here. Communication has been top notch. He has addressed all my concerns and was flexible. Highly recommended. The unit came yesterday 3/12/12.

This is the way an item should be crafted and shipped. Everything fits and is spec'd exactly as ordered.

Kinda makes me wish I had Tyler make me an acrylic display tank to go with this sump and skipped all the CADlights business.

Less talk, more pictures.

ONyp5.jpg

4GLmT.jpg

1QuUU.jpg

PGIg8.jpg

InWml.jpg

qMvGV.jpg

9dWsS.jpg

dB8QY.jpg

vsZUq.jpg

3RsP4.jpg

That sump is beautiful. I told you that it would look 10x better in person. :)

I like the adjustments you made to it vs. mine. I wish I had of put a little more planning in to it now that I see yours. The heater holders are a great idea and I think should be standard in any sump.

I also like the built-in reservoir...

Tyler is a great guy to work with. I will definitely be planning a new sump incorporating what worked from my design and yours, along with a few other adjustments, and ordering it from him and him only.

BRS Haul came in, what is not pictures is the DIY Screen Top

YF2Wn.jpg

Here are my 2 pipes that go inside the overflow box put together

hVznv.jpg

Now for my questions. There are two of them.

1.) I ordered sch80 bulkheads but they do not fit. I have to use the ABS type. Any problems with that?

Further, CADLIGHTS gave me one set of ABS bulkheads and I ordered another set from BRS. I got them mixed up and cannot remember which set came from which vendor. One has a more flat top, the other more dome like. Here are the pictures, which set would you use?

Dof94.jpg

nBufl.jpg

2.) I hopes to use a bushing at the bottom of the 1/2" bulkhead to transition to a 3/4" slip. I messed up and ordered a Schedule 80 Threaded Reducing Busing 3/4" x 1/2". Other then the 3/4" side not being slip as I like the 1/2" side is not large enough to thread around the 1/2" bulkhead. What product do I need for this transition.. Pics of the wrong piece I ordered.

eqnl7.jpg

LsswS.jpg

Archived