inTank Media Baskets

Custom Look CadLights 50Long

twan

Looking at Rock Cycling

Rock is in two separate tubs each with a power head, a heater and a cover (to keep evap down).

They both smelled for the 1st few days but now the smell has gone away mostly.

This is Pukani Dry rock from BRS.

The tests seem to indicate I had one mini cycle but the large main cycle has not occurred yet?

The rock has only been in there for 1 week.

I only tested @ the 1 week mark.

Could ammonia have already spiked and went to zero in that time frame? I don't think so...............

tMu4v.jpg

Are you going to be seeding this soon?

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you going to be seeding this soon?

I did not plan to seed until it moves to the tank which by then would probably be after my cycle.

Some detective work about my test kit. I ordered from here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=14740

When googling a little while ago looking to see if my kit was missing anything (namely the 2nd reagent for the ammonia test) I find this link that is selling a refill kit. And what do you know................the picture shows 2 reagents:

31Pd...L500_AA300_.jpg

My kit was sealed when I got it. So why in the hell would DR F&S sell a kit that advertises being able to run an ammonia test but only selling 1/2 the reagents to run the test. Seems I should call their customer service line.

Quick update.

Called drsfostersmith and they are shipping me a refill kit free of charge that will have both reagents.

Getting Salifert test kits from here on out to benchmark against.

Quick update.

Called drsfostersmith and they are shipping me a refill kit free of charge that will have both reagents.

Getting Salifert test kits from here on out to benchmark against.

Salifert or no testing at all.

Only options for me.

So the right packets for the Instant Ocean Test Kit wont be to me for days & the Salifert kits I want to order are part of a larger order in 2 weeks.........so I stopped by the LFS and got an API test kit to test my ammonia.

One container is 8+

wkxvm.jpg

The other is 5-6

OW67Y.jpg

Tokendog thanks for the smooth transaction and careful shipping B)

UDOil.jpg

s6PIr.jpg

ba1AV.jpg

Happy to hear everything arrived safely. :) Now hook them up!

Tank/Skimmer

Spoke with Eddie, tank is due to me today with completed return lines along with the skimmer.

I am taking 1/2 a day off from work to accept delivery later today.

What did not make it in the shipment was the custom acrylic cover for the overflow box and the durso pipe. He is sending those separate via express mail. I guess those items were not completed / dry before FEDEX came. I also wonder if any bulkheads are coming with this. Fingers crossed nothing comes scratched/shattered/chipped.

Stand

Spoke with Tony_T and he hopes to have time to start the stand next weekend (3/16).

Sump

Tracking shows it arriving Monday 3/12/12.

Light Mounting

Waiting to see what new design saltwaterinbrooklyn comes up with or I might order his standard unit shown elsewhere in this thread.

Plumbing

TBD

Starfire. Great.

Skimmer. Nice.

Silicone. Okay.

Overflow Size. Okay.

Packing. Poor.

Fact that I got a 1/2" return and not 3/4" return. Piss Poor.

Can you elaborate on the inadequate packaging?

Mine was packed really well, no complaints.

Sucks about the return size mishap.

I'm glad I tried my hand at drilling.

The box that the tank was packaged in had glass written on the outside...........but then was covered in black wrap so the driver and everyone who encountered the tank did not know it was glass or fragile.

Inside the box the tank had styrofoam corners and sides but the bottom of the box had cardboard layered..............some that had those heavy staples that left a few nicks in the bottom the the tank.

The box that the tank was packaged in had glass written on the outside...........but then was covered in black wrap so the driver and everyone who encountered the tank did not know it was glass or fragile.

Inside the box the tank had styrofoam corners and sides but the bottom of the box had cardboard layered..............some that had those heavy staples that left a few nicks in the bottom the the tank.

Word.

Let me know how much silicone you end up scraping off.

I will speak with them about the return.

Could I run 3/4" up to the 1/2" bulkhead then use a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and call it a day?

Half my run from the bulkhead up would be reduced in size.

How would this effect my flow?

I will speak with them about the return.

Could I run 3/4" up to the 1/2" bulkhead then use a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and call it a day?

Half my run from the bulkhead up would be reduced in size.

How would this effect my flow?

AFAIK, the smallest diameter will determine the flow rate.

It shouldn't mean that you can't get enough turnover though.

I think you can push ~ 450gph through 1/2" pipe.

I ask because all the fittings below the tank that are true unions, cepex valves, gate valves, etc etc and are sch80 and are readily available are mostly in 3/4" size and not 1/2".

I ask because all the fittings below the tank that are true unions, cepex valves, gate valves, etc etc and are sch80 and are readily available are mostly in 3/4" size and not 1/2".

You could use 3/4" fittings but I doubt you'd see much, if any, increase in flow rate as a result.

Or I can take the chance and drill out that 1/2" hole to 3/4".

But now with the overflow in the way that would have to be done with the tank upside down...........and if a sucessfull hole is the result maybe then the 3/4" bulkhead will not fit against the wall or against the 1' bulkhead (hoping to use sch80).

zyO0C.jpg

Or I can take the chance and drill out that 1/2" hole to 3/4".

But now with the overflow in the way that would have to be done with the tank upside down...........and if a sucessfull hole is the result maybe then the 3/4" bulkhead will not fit against the wall or against the 1' bulkhead (hoping to use sch80).

I've heard of people successfully using a diamond-tipped grinding bit to ream out larger hole sizes.

I think someone even did that to their CAD on that 100g thread on RC. You know the one.

I guess if you just draw a 3/4" circle over the 1/2" hole and grind it out to size, that might work fine.

I guess the final question is what would my flow loss be using an Eheim 1260 with 1/2" versus 3/4".

This is so frustrating.

I've heard of people successfully using a diamond-tipped grinding bit to ream out larger hole sizes.

I think someone even did that to their CAD on that 100g thread on RC. You know the one.

I guess if you just draw a 3/4" circle over the 1/2" hole and grind it out to size, that might work fine.

A blunt tip like this?

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/...shtml#anchor340

I guess the final question is what would my flow loss be using an Eheim 1260 with 1/2" versus 3/4".

This is so frustrating.

A blunt tip like this?

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/...shtml#anchor340

Yeah or maybe an engraving set made for glass. Pretty much the same.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2080604/2...s-set-of-4.aspx

If you have a 1/2" bulkhead, your 1260 could only pump a max gph ~ 450 due to that limitation.

If you have a 3/4" bulkhead, your 1260 could probably run wide open.

Ok and the Eheim 1260 does 635 gph wide open which is probably perfect for 3/4".

Running that through the 1/2" means 450gph for a loss of 185gph (29.13%).

So lets see how this goes.

Eddie, the tank arrived today. I still need to leak test the entire unit. No cracks or chips were noted so far. However I am not happy.

*The packaging for shipping was awful. Glass was written on the box but this was obscured by the black cling wrap that went over it. The driver nor anyone who came into contact with the tank during shipping were aware that fragile, not to mention a glass item was inside. Also while Styrofoam was used for the corners but there was no Styrofoam under the tank. The bottom of the box had only cardboard layered to pad it..............some that had those heavy staples that left a few nicks in the bottom the the tank. This should have been shipped more carefully for the $200 I paid in shipping.

*The return ended up being 1/2" not 3/4" like discussed / ordered. There is plenty of room in that overflow box and away from the walls and drain hole that you could have done like I asked. Instead the tank was drilled for a size I did not order and I was not consulted prior to drilling. Clear communication from your company would have avoided this. I was very clear in my phone calls and follow up emails on 1/31/12 and 2/14/12 as to the sizes I needed.

*The tank has black silicone throughout not clear silicone as indicated on my invoice as per my request.

*I still have not received my Durso drain pipe with bulkhead or the custom acrylic cover for the overflow box I paid extra for.

How do you plan to handle resolving these issues? I look forward to your reply and will be calling to follow up tomorrow 3/9/12.

Archived