Cultivated Reef

3G Apartment Pico

monkeytrumpets

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monkeytrumpets

Memo to self, don't trust LFS for correct coral ID...

Thanks Jrmiller. I appreciate the IDs! Everyone is happy where they are in the tank, but I like having an accurate genus to work with. I looked at photos to try to identify the favia, but I wasn't sure whether they were favia or something like A. echinata.

monkeytrumpets

Well, the favia may be happy where it is, but it is being exiled from the rock to the bottom of the tank. The favia has declared war on the rest of the tank, and has sent out sweepers. Thankfully, it isn't anywhere near anything else, but putting it on the bottom will keep it that way. Here is a quick video I took. Sorry the quality isn't the greatest.

Sweepers Video

monkeytrumpets

New pic update! I got my shipment from SeaLife Inc. I have a few rics that I will photograph once they have adjusted to the tank. They are still kinda p!ss3d at me from shipping and moving them around. The three rics that aren't pictured didn't like how much light they were getting up front, so they've gone to live on the kitchen side of the tank.

The blue zoas are happy so far, and all but 1 polyp opened up on the first day in the tank.

IMG_2440.jpg

New rics

IMG_2434.jpg

The colors are a little closer to correct in this one, though the pic is still washed out.

IMG_2435.jpg

monkeytrumpets
Awesome looking corals! Love the Rics!

Thanks Chase! I just read through your pico thread as well. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Placed an order with Cultivated Reef that should arrive Saturday. Very excited about the pieces I picked out!

monkeytrumpets

My corals got here this morning, and everyone is settling into the tank. Still waiting on polyp extension from the GSP, but it will calm down and open up in the next couple of days. I'll add a new FTS and pictures of everyone as they happy up, but here are some of the new inhabitants.

Aussie orange acans

IMG_2456.jpg

Blastos

IMG_2452.jpg

Armor of God palys

IMG_2451.jpg

Bam Bam zoas

IMG_2449.jpg

Aussie blastos

IMG_2447.jpg

monkeytrumpets
I wish I had more coral... Your tank is awesome!

Thanks!

FTS

IMG_2464.jpg

GSP

IMG_2460.jpg

ORA Green Polyp Toadstool Leather

IMG_2463.jpg

monkeytrumpets

Today, we're playing a game called, "Just how far can the sweepers on my favia reach, anyway?" The answer: Over 3 inches, which happens to be the distance to one of the small polyps of red blasto. :angry: The blastos have since been relocated, and the favia pushed farther away from fellow tank inhabitants. Thankfully I was staring into the tank as it happened, so I don't think too much damage was done.

• 2 weeks later...
monkeytrumpets

Since the favia just wasn't happy in my aquarium, I traded it to a friend with a larger tank. I did grab a pic of the favia "in jail" before the trade, however.

2012-03-13172312.jpg

monkeytrumpets

Pic update today. The tank inhabitants are all quite happy today, after their first feeding of Rod's Food last night. I picked up a small bar of the coral only blend and spot fed the corals. The ricordea exhibited a feeding response, but it was nothing compared to the LPS. They went nuts for it! Of course, I didn't think to grab my camera at feeding time, but I'll try to grab some pics next time. For the time being, I'm thinking about spot feeding once a week, or every other week. Here are some pics I took this evening.

Full, fat, and happy :happy:

IMG_2466.jpg

New ricordea

IMG_2470.jpg

FTS from tonight

IMG_2473.jpg

monkeytrumpets
You have so many corals!

Yeah, at this point I'm going to hold off to let stuff fill in. I have a lot of small frags, and I'm going to let them have the opportunity to fill in the gaps. The problem is, I'm going to have to set up a frag tank once everything fills in and I start fragging. Twist my arm... ;)

monkeytrumpets
how do you like the rods food?

So far I like it a lot. The LPS seem to love the stuff, and a little bit goes a long way. I did notice that I didn't get the same kind of feeding response from my ricordea that I've gotten from other foods in the past. They opened their mouths when I spot fed them, but they didn't envelop it like they would have if it was something like mysis. I think the particle size of the coral only blend may be a little small for them, so I may try the original rods food for the ricordeas and see if i get a better feeding response.

• 1 month later...
monkeytrumpets

My DIY ATO has been working well, but only using the one float switch makes me nervous. Combine that with how rapidly the MJ600 refills the tank, and I think I'm walking a fine line between convenience and disaster. I think I will be investing in a better ATO very soon.

Does anyone else with a fish-less reef find it as frustrating as I do when people ask, "Is there anything in there?" A friend saw the pico for the first time a few days ago, and after looking at it for 20 seconds or so gave me a puzzled look and asked where the fish was. I explained that it was coral/inverts only, and he replied, "So is there anything in there?" ...yes...yes there is...*sigh*

Too funny, non-aquarists just don't get it. Everyone wants action and colourful fish. I think going fishless in a pico is a wise idea, much easier to manage the nutrients. I'm still finishing up my pico and adding livestock, no fish, just sexy shrimp and anemone shrimp are the plan. I like what you've done, it's coming along quite nicely. :D

monkeytrumpets
Too funny, non-aquarists just don't get it. Everyone wants action and colourful fish. I think going fishless in a pico is a wise idea, much easier to manage the nutrients. I'm still finishing up my pico and adding livestock, no fish, just sexy shrimp and anemone shrimp are the plan. I like what you've done, it's coming along quite nicely. :D

Thanks! I read through your pico thread this morning. VERY nice setup! I'll definitely be stopping in to see what other great ideas you come up with!

I have a few new frags coming in from Cultivated Reef this week, so hopefully those will help fill in some of the empty spots.

I keep going back and forth between boxing crabs and sexy shrimp. I just can't decide!

monkeytrumpets

My stuff from Cultivated Reef arrived, and is settling in. I'll grab some pictures once everyone calms down a bit. The new Aussie Acans are settling in, though I'm thinking they need a few more days before they really puff up. I've got great polyp extension on my blue slimer frag, but the zoas are still upset. I have no doubt they'll happy up in a few days.

monkeytrumpets

Swapped out the DIY ATO I had installed, in favor of a SpectraPure UPLC II. I've had it running since last night, and it's working great.

I'm battling a small dinoflagellate outbreak at the moment. I'm mixing 5g of saltwater, and I'll be doing several large water changes over the next week. I've also reduced the time the lights are on. I was running an almost 12 hour photoperiod, but I'm thinking that is way too long. I've pulled it back to 9 hours, and we'll see what reactions I get.

monkeytrumpets

Looks like I had a bit of what appears to be dictyota hanging out on my original acan frag.

2012-05-05214038.jpg

I have removed as much of it as I could. Hopefully that will be the end of it, but time will tell.

Archived