Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The unexpected I Love My Wife Upgrade

DreTheReefer

You need an overflow box, but not a huge one. You need two holes, one for a main drain with the flow controlled with a gate valve essentially creating a siphon running at the same flow rate as your return. The second drain needs to be functionally higher than the first and will act as a back up if the main drain gets clogged. There's many different ways to set this up, depending on if you drill the bottom of the tank or the back of the tank. If you drill the bottom, then you'll need space in the overflow box for two PVC pipe drains.

The advantage of this set-up over a durso is the siphon. No air in the systems means no annoying sucking noise and no annoying bubbling sounds in your sump, no salt spray where those bubbles pop in your sump, and no micro bubbles being sent back to the display tank. Also, the herbie has a back up drain in case the main drain gets clogged. Having only one drain just isn't a good idea...

I'll try to find some diagrams for you. Let me search around a bit.

Man I wish my local Petco would have a sale like that. That's a steal! Can't wait to see what you do with it! B)

They have this sale throughout the U.S. I am pretty sure. The dollar per gallon sale. It only goes up to either 40 or 55 gallons though. It spans the entire month of January I think.

They have this sale throughout the U.S. I am pretty sure. The dollar per gallon sale. It only goes up to either 40 or 55 gallons though. It spans the entire month of January I think.

They have that sale a few times a year

• 2 weeks later...

So it has been moving slower then I'd like getting the tank together. But i think I have gotten everything I need except for the PVC pieces to makes the gurgle buster. I got another AI Sol a mag 5 return and my buddy from NY (gotrice from manhattanreefs) hooked it up with cad lights sump he had sitting around and a Bubble Magnus NAC3. Oh and another bag of sand.

395a2358.jpg

fcb0dabb.jpg

• 1 month later...
DreTheReefer

I know I suck at updating my threads. But I got the tank up and it actually went really smoothly. Only problem I had was a little silicone by the return bulkhead caused a leak that took me 25 minutes to figure out. Everything else went flawlessly. I got animals in and have been slowly adding corals the last 3 1/2 weeks. Only coral that isn't happy is a nice sunset milli that has lost color. I think it's more due to the fragging then anything. I had on little problem programming my BRS dosers. I pulled a bonehead move and set it to on instead of auto and it emptied about a liter of ca solution into the tank. My inverts all motled the same. At first I thought they were all dead until I realized they were just molts. Bbesides that I've been placing sps in temporary spots to see how they like light flow etc...

Here are a few bad cell pics.

ed052676.jpg

f1a8c5c9.jpg

c13a2313.jpg

I'll take a better picture of the inside of the stand when I get home

60ea204d.jpg

DreTheReefer

My friend gave me his sump from his cadlights 40 g. It fit my needs perfectly. The tank being rimless well my wife loves me but maybe not rimless cost love me.

• 1 month later...
DreTheReefer

Super junky news. Something went wrong last week and my tank hit 94 degrees. Almost all my coral is dead. It sucks time to figure a way to restock.

Archived