SaltCritters.com

torch coral

scoobahSAM

Why is there even debate as to whether or not this is a frogspawn? It is obviously not a frogspawn because of the single tips. It looks like a golden aussie torch (as advertised by his lfs) that is still getting used to his quarantine. My bet is that this thing will have real long tentacles in the next month or so as they get used to your params. They're still adolescent torch heads.

Yes.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so..... its a torch? lol y'all don't have to fight. I took a look at the polyps last night and they're starting to split a little bit. What does that indicate? They're still very small but when my light turns on ill try to take another picture. And yes, the polyps do puff up like they're irritated at something. I haven't witnessed the tentacles coming out.. maybe I did the first night ( I threw in some frozen food to see how it would react, maybe thats why it opened? Im not sure but I might have seen tentacles grabbing some bloodworms in the mix but they werent extremely long)

lol y'all don't have to fight.

you see when you have ballz around.. he can never be proven wrong.. so any information thrown back at him is feeding trolls.. IE

Balls you need mt to do some more shoppin?

you see when you have ballz around.. he can never be proven wrong.. so any information thrown back at him is feeding trolls.. IE

Balls you need mt to do some more shoppin?

Yes! :D

Branching? No, no. Just let it sit and watch what comes of it.

No I've noticed splitting on the tips of the polyps like frogspawns do, they're tiny now so I guess only time will tell?

surgicalsense
thanks iball! You sure its a frogspawn bro? Its my first euphyllia so I'm still learning about em.

Looks like a froggy to me. Frogspawn have big fat tenticles, while torches are more fine and defined.

No I've noticed splitting on the tips of the polyps like frogspawns do, they're tiny now so I guess only time will tell?

Frogspawn ... just accept this ScoobaSam :P ... mine looks exactly like this and behaves exactly like this.

Looks like a torch to me. Frogspawns have multiple "dots" on their tentacles, while this only has one--specifically only at the tip. The size of the tentacles will vary as my torch does the same thing, sometimes they are long and noodly and other times they are fat. I think your LFS labeled it properly, aussie golden torches have the same coloration your specimen has.

If it looks like that, it's an Aussie Torch...yours is just a baby though so the tentacles won't be as long.

AussieGoldenTorch-50perhead.jpg

From your photo I can see why it can be a frogspawn, you would be the better judge, look at this:

p-82677-frogspawn.jpg

But you can tell that some tentacles have multiple dots/branches on them, if yours doesn't, it's a torch, if it does, it's a frogspawn.

Looks like a torch to me. Frogspawns have multiple "dots" on their tentacles, while this only has one--specifically only at the tip. The size of the tentacles will vary as my torch does the same thing, sometimes they are long and noodly and other times they are fat. I think your LFS labeled it properly, aussie golden torches have the same coloration your specimen has.

If it looks like that, it's an Aussie Torch...yours is just a baby though so the tentacles won't be as long.

AussieGoldenTorch-50perhead.jpg

From your photo I can see why it can be a frogspawn, you would be the better judge, look at this:

p-82677-frogspawn.jpg

But you can tell that some tentacles have multiple dots/branches on them, if yours doesn't, it's a torch, if it does, it's a frogspawn.

Well first off, the coral was dying and on its way to the graveyard. The lady at my lfs said it was an aussie gold but wasn't labeled. It was stuck in the back of the frag display where all the other dead corals are placed.

She said if I want it, I could take it off her hands for 5 buckaroos. I hopped on it since no matter what, I rarely ever see a euphyllia priced at 5 bux. It looked like hammered a s s when I brought it home, but I broke off the dead heads and dropped it in my qt, no dip or anything. Just temp acclimated and then dropped it in.

Im assuming you're not talking about the sweepers when you're saying tentacles, but the polyps. Most of the polyps are single dotted but I do see multiple dots on a few of the polyps. So its got to be a Frogspawn then with colors like an aussie gold?

Frogspawn ... just accept this ScoobaSam :P ... mine looks exactly like this and behaves exactly like this.

haha ill accept anything that it is, I wanted a euphyllia.. and for 5 bucks I didn't really care which one. Just trying to find out exactly what it is since my lfs owner told me it was an aussie gold torch and everyone on here is either saying its a frogspawn or something else.

If you notice in this picture though, theres two dots branching out from a single polyp.

aussiegold4.jpg

surgicalsense

My froggy is like that all over. When I first purchased the frag and it was smaller. No, it did not have any branching tentacle on it at all. But as it split and grew larger it did. There are so many different sizes on it now.

• 3 weeks later...

I moved the coral into my main tank.. I am starting to think rbaby may be right, that it is a torch. I am starting to see more single tips. what do y'all think?

photo2-1.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

That's def a torch, and a NICE one at that! Would love to get a gold torch for my tank but... Too afraid they'd sting my other corals. Not to mention the price on them.

once my torch grows out ill frag it out to NR members for cheap or trades :)

nice waiting on the lfs to get ours in.. lol he just keeps forgetting

Sam, I'm going with the Aussie Gold. Look at the link that McGuffi posted. It looks pretty close to your revived 'patient', only you paid $5 for a $200 coral! Put me on that list for a frag dear man!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived